Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 82 guests and no members online

Evan Brown pressured by MIlan Lukic - Copy

Photo:  Clarence's Evan Brown shields the ball from Kingborough's Milan Lukic [PlessPix]

(Over-35s Cup Final, KGV Park, Thursday, 6 September 2018)

Kingborough Lions United 2 (G While 1’, J Williams 40’)

Clarence Spirit 1 (J Bingham 18’)

HT: 2-1   Ref: Stephen Roach

Kingborough Lions United: Stuart Clark, Mark Daley, Steven Harms, Ross Hinkley, David Hodgson, Warren Iles, Milan Lukic, Bruno Palermo, Adrian Pereira, Shaun Quin, Scott Sneddon, Gavin Wailes, Michael Wells, Geoffrey While, Jason Williams

Clarence Spirit: Geoffrey Andrews, Timoth Beumer, Jamie Bingham, Ronnie Bolton, Evan Brown, James Brown, Christopher Chalker, Michael Edwards, Mark Gadd, Mark Gobbey, Ian Holthouse, Leon McGuinness, John McIntyre, Robert Nicholson, James Sugden, Juan Tello

While scores - Copy

Photo:  Kingborough's Geoffrey While (No.19) curls the opening goal in off the right-hand post [PlessPix]

This game was billed as Ronnie Bolton’s farewell appearance. If, indeed, it was, it ended on a less than satisfactory note for him as his team, Clarence Spirit, went down 2-1 to Kingborough Lions United.

The Lions struck after exactly one minute, Geoffrey While firing home a low shot inside the unsighted goalkeeper’s left-hand post.

McIntyre in midfield - Copy

Photo:  Clarence midfielder John McIntyre releases a pass from midfield [PlessPix]

Clarence drew level in the 18th minute when Jamie Bingham found the net from close range after a corner from the left.

In the 40th minute, Jason Williams volleyed home from close range after Clarence failed to clear a corner.

John McIntyre was a driving force for Clarence in midfield, while Mark Gadd was precise in his passing and Jim Brown showed a turn of pace that often created problems for the Lions.

Kingborough utilised the pace and experience of Ross Hinkley and Warren Iles and should have scored at least another couple of goals given their chances.

Timothy Beumer and Ross Hinkley - Copy

Photo:  Kingborough's Ross Hinkley controls the ball with his chest ahead of Clarence's Timothy Beumer [PlessPix]

Michael Edwards saved Clarence at one point when he headed a corner off his own line and onto the underside of the bar, the ball rebounding into play and being cleared.

As the rain began to pelt down and the legs tired, the spectators as well as the players were probably pleased that there was no extra-time or penalty shoot-out.

Warren Iles and Evan Brown - Copy

Photo:  Kingborough's Warren Iles (left) challenged by Clarence's Evan Brown [PlessPix]

Kingborough Over 35s 6 September 2018 - Copy

Photo:  Kingborough Lions United Over-35s display their trophy after the game [PlessPix]

Clarence Spirit 6 September 2018 - Copy

Photo:  Clarence Spirit, the losing cup finalists [PlessPix]

Refs for Over 35s cup final 6 September 2018 - Copy

Photo (L-R):  Assistant referee Matthew Westwood, referee Steven Roach and assistant referee Emma Hall [PlessPix]

Ian Holthouse and Michael Wells - Copy

Photo:  Clarence's Juan Tello (left) tries to outplay Kingborough's Michael Wells [PlessPix]