Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 66 guests and no members online


Photo:  NTC on the attack aaginst University, with Georgia Crawford (left) in possession [PlessPix]

(Southern Women’s Premier League, KGV Park, Friday, 16 August 2013)

NTC 4 (I Michael 7, S Hutchinson 44, 67 pen, M Dunbabin 60)

University 1 (J Bale 50)

HT:  2-0   Att:  50   Ref:  J Hortle

NTC:  Gavalas  -  Medwin, Painter, Marmion, Ayton  -  Johnson, Hutchinson, Michael  -  Crawford (Williams 60), Dunbabin, Graddon  (Subs:  Wedge, Blackman, Tsamassiros)

University:  George  -  Hoysted, Summers, Dunstan, Scott  -  Cropp, Tedros, Norton, Van Dongen  -  Law, Bale


Photo:  The two captains and match officials before the game [PlessPix]

NTC stayed on top of the Southern Women’s Premier League standings with this hard-fought 4-1 win over a valiant University outfit, who are in sixth place, at KGV Park on Friday night.

Olympia Warriors, who are second on goal-difference, stayed level with the NTC after downing Taroona 4-2 the same evening at Warrior Park.

Innocent Michael gave NTC the lead after a corner routine on the left.  After the corner, the ball was played back to Michael, who curled a cross in off the far post.


Photo:  University goalkeeper Mikalha George beats out a peanlty by Marion Dunbabin [PlessPix]

University were on the back foot but were gaining in confidence as NTC failed to increase their lead despite dominating possession.

University’s morale was further boosted when their goalkeeper, Mikalha George, saved a penalty from Marion Dunbabin, who had been brought down by George.

NTC coach Michael Edwards queried the referee, Mr Hortle, about the incident at half-time, asking him why no card had been produced.

Seconds before half-time, an attempted clearance by George ricocheted off Stacie Hutchinson and into the net to make it 2-0.


Photo:  University defend desperately against an NTC corner [PlessPix]

University were far from down and out, however, and they began the second half in determined fashion and soon reaped the reward when they were awarded a free-kick in the 50th minute.

Jessica Bale stepped up and placed her free-kick over the defensive wall and inside the left-hand post to make it 2-1.

NTC soon got over their nerves and Marion Dunbabin made it 3-1 on the hour when the University defence failed to cut out a cross and George was caught off her line.


Photo:  University halt an NTC attack [PlessPix]

Midway through the half, Dunbabin was again brought down and Mr Hortle awarded a spot-kick.

Hutchinson beat George to the keeper’s right with the spot-kick to make it 4-1 for the NTC.

University’s Bale shot wide with another chance but never looked as if they would make up the leeway.

The Students’ Michelle Tadros was outstanding in midfield, while Alison Van Dongen and Bale also caught the eye.

The margin of victory for the NTC would have been much greater but for a fine, brave performance in goal by George, who must rank as one of the best custodians in the competition.


Photo:  An NTC player takes a tumble [PlessPix]

NTC coach, Michael Edwards, said:

“I was pleased with our intensity and pressure on the ball tonight.  We have lacked that for long periods in games over previous weeks.

“It was good preparation for those girls heading away to the NTC Challenge in Canberra on the 25th of this month.  Tonight also gave some players an opportunity to rest up a little because we have had a number of injuries lately.  It will help us [this rest] as we head to finals in three weeks.

“Innocent [Michael] and Stacie [Hutchinson] were fantastic in the midfield tonight and I was pleased as well with the effort that Georgia Crawford put in.  She has struggled with sickness and some injuries lately, but she is coming back into good form.

“The whole team did really well, in fact, and it was one of our better team performances tonight.”


Photo:  NTC coach Michael Edwards questions referee Jim Hortle about the penalty [PlessPix]

University coach, Harry Booth, said:

“I’m very proud of the way all my girls played.  We tried to play a counter-attacking game using our pace in the front third.  It almost worked and we were in the game until just after the hour mark.

“The first two goals were very soft and frustrating, which probably cost us the game and by the end we had run out of gas and we had no subs.  It may have been very different if we had Lucy Macgregor and Caitlin Stalker playing.

“Again, Mikalha George showed why she is one of the most naturally talented keepers in the state.  Great saves all the way through, including a penalty save.

“NTC played some great passing football, especially in the first half, and probably kept us in the game with some poor shooting.  Innocent Michael was a pleasure to watch, passing and crossing with both feet and pulling the strings for NTC.”


Photo:  University coach Harry Booth (right) and his team at half-time [PlessPix]


Photo:  A University defender gets the better of NTC's Lucy Johnson [PlessPix]


Photo:  A midfield tussle in the NTC versus University game [PlessPix]


+4 #1 Anonymous 2013-08-21 00:23
Great job Uni, shame all your players weren't available. Great job from the four girls who stepped up from the reserves. Uni and NTC have players of the same age and you only train half of what they do.

Add comment

Security code