Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 100 guests and no members online


Photo:  Wellington Stadium was the stage for the Phoenix victory over Melbourne Heart [PlessPix]

(A-League, Westpac Stadium, Wellington, Sunday, 29 January 2012)

Wellington Phoenix 3 (Ifill 3, 64, Greenacre 54)

Melbourne Heart 1 (Terra 35)

HT: 1-1   Att: 13,601   Ref: P Green

Wellington Phoenix: Paston  -  Muscat, Sigmund, Durante, Lochhead  -  Bertos (Daniel 77), Smith, Brown, Sanchez (Downey 83)  -  Greenacre, Ifill (Subs not used:  Warner, Lia)

Melbourne Heart: Bolton  -  Marrone, Hamill (Colosimo 64), Good, Behich  -  Sarkies  -  Dugandzic (Williams 69), Germano, Thompson (Worm 55), Terra  -  Babalj  (Sub not used:  Mattei)

Wellington Phoenix moved into second spot on the A-League ladder when they beat Melbourne Heart 3-1 before a crowd of 13,601 at Westpac Stadium this afternoon.

The win was tempered by the loss of Leo Bertos late in the game with what appeared to be a serious leg injury after a tackle from Heart substitute David Williams.

In the 3rd minute, a cross from the left was poorly dealt with by Aziz Behich, who inadvertently headed it to Paul Ifill.  The Barbados international controlled the ball and cut outside Behich before beating Clint Bolton from an acute angle to put the home side in front.

The equaliser came in the 35th minute when Germano collected a pass on the left from Matt Thompson and played it into the box for Alex Terra.  The Brazilian hit a first-time, low, left-footed drive past Mark Paston from 10 metres.

Chris Greenacre put Wellington in front 9 minutes after the break with a header when he squeezed between the two central defenders and reached Bertos’s precise cross from the right.

Ifill made it 3-1 in the 64th minute after an excellent attacking move by the home side.  Manny Muscat slipped the ball through to Ifill on the right of the box and he beat Bolton with a low cross-shot.

Wellington could have had another goal near the end, but Daniel's free-kick cannoned off a post.