Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 120 guests and no members online

Photos (Top to Bottom): Metro keeper Nathan Grandin about to save from Olympia's Nick Meredith; metro's Aaron Marney tries to get past Olympia's Alex Nandan; Metro's Geoff Wicks (left) holds off Olympia's Howell; Metro's Jayden Wiggins tries to clear from the corner flag; Olympia's Warren Wadawu goes for a run; Olympia's Brady Cronk pursued by Metro's Lars Engisch; Olympia's Warren Wadawu on the turn; Olympia midfielder Ben Phillips gets a pass away [PlessPix]

Metro beat Olympia Warriors 2-1 in a practice match on Saturday afternoon at North Chigwell.

Aaron Marney gave Metro the lead in the first half, while Nick Meredith equalised for Olympia before the interval.

Daniel Brown hit Metro’s winner early in the second half.

Michael McKenna produced a brilliant save for Olympia near the end of the match to keep his side in with a chance, but the Metro defence, including goalkeeper Nathan Grandin, were up to any challenge that Olympia threw at them.

Olympia had former South Hobart, University and Nelson defender Craig Stockdale in their side.

Metro coach, Matthew Rhodes, said: “Another good work-out for us.

“It was a good game and nice and open in the second half.

“I thought both keepers played well in the second half.

“I thought we played quite well and our goals were very good.

“We’re building on our main aim for the year, which is to win promotion.”

Olympia seemed to lack a cutting edge and it will be interesting to see how they go in the Steve Hudson Cup, which begins in Launceston next Sunday.

They have been drawn in the weaker Group B of the competition and face Ulverstone at 1pm next Sunday in their opening game.

Coach Chris Hey was quite upbeat yesterday, despite the defeat.

“We asked them to try and maintain possession and knock the ball around and I felt that we did that in good parts of the game today,” said Olympia Warriors coach, Chris Hey.

“Defensively, I thought we were very, very slow. The two goals they scored were from good through-balls.

“Same as last year, we have to look at our back structure.

“I think we’re fine going forward, but I think we are also struggling in the front third as well.

“It’s just that final pass.

“I think there were a lot of positives from our perspective. I thought we didn’t rush the ball unnecessarily like we may have done last year. We did maintain some reasonable possession and controlled the ball well at times. That’s a big positive.

“We’ve still got to find the back of the net. We had some good opportunities, as they did.

“Yeah, we move on. I look forward to the games in the Summer Cup.”