Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 118 guests and no members online

Metro’s 17-year-old German midfielder, Lars Engisch, had an excellent game against New Town Eagles on Tuesday evening.

The right-footer controlled the midfield for large spells and his work-rate was impressive.


Engisch clears the ball against Eagles [PlessPix]


He displayed excellent vision and technical skills as he sprayed passes around to bring his team-mates into the action.

Brisbane Roar 2-0 Wellington Phoenix


Brisbane made it 22 games unbeaten when they downed Wellington Phoenix 2-0 at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast this afternoon.

That equals the record set in the 1986-87 NSL season by APIA Leichhardt.

The match was transferred to Skilled Park because Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane is still unavailable after the devastating floods that hit the city.

The first half was goalless, with very little excitement.

Ange Postecoglu is proving to be a master coach, however, and when he brought on substitute Jason Meyer with 18 minutes to go, it changed the course of the game.

Meyer netted twice in 5 minutes to give his side victory. The substitute has now scored three goals in two appearances as a substitute.

In the 84th minute, Meyer attacked down the right but gave away possession to Nick Ward as he tried to get past the opposition midfielder. Ward stumbled over the ball, however, and inadvertently gave the ball back to Meyer, who cut inside and scored with a left-footed shot from 25 metres that deflected off Phoenix captain Andrew Durante and left goalkeeper Danny Vukovic wrong-footed.

In the 89th minute, Thomas Broich broke free down the left and his shot came back off the crossbar and fell into the path of Meyer, who netted his second goal of the match.

The win leaves first-placed Brisbane Roar 6 points ahead of second-placed Central Coast Mariners, while Wellington Phoenix are in 7th place, a point adrift of 6th-ranked Melbourne Heart.


Brisbane Roar: Theoklitos - Franjic, DeVere (Mundy 84), Smith, Stefanutto - Nichols (Henrique 72), Paartalu, Murdocca - Barbarouses, Solorzano (Meyer 72), Broich (Sub not used: Redmayne)

Booked: Meyer

Goals: Meyer 84, 89

Wellington Phoenix: Vukovic - Hearfield, Sigmund, Durante, Lochhead - Lia, Brown, Muscat, Daniel (Daniel 63) - Greenacre (Rojas 77), MacAllister (Pavlovic 55) (Sub not used: Crowther)

Booked: Brown, Lia, Muscat

Att: 3,522

Ref: R Shepheard

Asian Cup (Semi-finals)

Australia 6-0 Uzbekistan

Japan 2-2 South Korea (Japan won on penalties)

English Premier League

Blackpool 2-3 Manchester United

Wigan Athletic 1-2 Aston Villa

England (League Cup)

Arsenal 3-0 Ipswich Town

Photos (Top to Bottom): New Town Eagles' Alex Gordon (right) controls the ball as Metro's Adam Woodward moves in; Metro's German midfielder Lars Engisch; Metro coach Matthew Rhodes watches his side warming up; Metro's 10 outfield players warm up; Referee Ivan Jozeljic talks to the New Town Eagles players before the game; Eagles striker Adam McKeown lies injured; Eagles coach George Krambousanos treats McKeown before he went to hospital; Eagles' Adam Bates heads at goal; Eagles' Mark Page (left) chasing a Metro opponent; Eagles' Alex Gordon in possession; metro's Aaron Marney puts his side ahead; Eagles defender Adam Bates with a clearing header [PlessPix]

Division One side Metro gave Premier League outfit New Town Eagles a real scare in their friendly match at North Chigwell this evening.

The young, fast and exuberant Metro side raced to a 3-0 lead after just 25 minutes.

But, Eagles recovered and salvaged a 3-3 draw.

Trailing 3-2 at the interval, Eagles put out largely a reserve side for the second half but still managed to grab an equaliser and save face.

The friendly match came at some cost to Eagles, who lost striker Adam McKeown early in the game with a head injury after a collision. He did not take any further part in the match and went to hospital for treatment.

Seventeen-year-old German exchange student, Lars Engisch, played very well for Metro. The right-footed midfielder showed a high work-rate and excellent vision and technical skills.

Metro have been waiting for weeks for his international clearance and coach matthew Rhodes hopes he will be able to play in the Summer Cup.

Aaron Marney gave Metro the lead after 7 minutes when he gained possession just outside the box and fired past the unprotected Nathan Pitchford.

It was 2-0 on the quarter-hour through Daniel Brown, who took his chance well against an uncertain and hesitant Eagles defence.

When Danny Cowen made it 3-0 in the 25th minute, it looked curtains for Eagles.

But, an excellent goal by Mark Page two minutes later put the visitors back into the match. Alex Gordon, looking fitter than ever and as skilful as old, broke free on the right and delivered a low cross into the middle for Page to score with a first-time shot on the turn.

A minute before the break, Gordon won a free-kick 25 metres from goal. He lofted the free-kick into the box where Jacob Clamp gained possession in a goalmouth scrimmage and beat keeper Alex Dand from close range to make it one goal the difference.

Eagles brought on many of their reserve side for the second half and Alex Ayers drew them level with a goal after just 5 minutes of the resumption.

Both sides had further chances but had to settle for a 3-3 draw in the end.

Eagles meet South Hobart on Sunday at Wellesley Park (reserves 11am, seniors 1pm) in another friendly, while Metro host Olympia Warriors at North Chigwell the same day in another practice match.