Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 136 guests and no members online

Photo: Danny Allsopp has scored five goals in four games [PlessPix]

Melbourne Victory 2-0 Gold Coast United


Danny Allsopp scored once in each half to give Melbourne Victory a 2-0 win over Gold Coast United at AAMI Park on Sunday afternoon.

Allsopp made it four goals in four games when he netted in the 25th minute after Grant Brebner’s pass.

Eleven minutes after the break, Allsopp turned John Curtis on the right of the box and cut inside before curling a great shot inside the far corner of the net to make it 2-0. It was his fifth goal in four games.

Joel Porter might have ensured a draw late in the match, but his first effort was brilliantly saved by Michael Petkovic, while his second - a header following a corner - was cleared off the line by Brebner.

The match was played in 38 degrees heat and drink breaks had to be taken.

Gold Coast, who were already without Shane Smeltz and Jason Culina, suffered a further blow after just 5 minutes when Bas Van Den Brink went off with a knee inury.

The result leaves Melbourne Victory in fifth place, two points adrift of fourth-ranked Gold Coast United.


Melbourne Victory: Petkovic - Ferreira, Vargas, Leijer, Kemp (Foschini 73) - Franjic, Brebner, Pondeljak, Dugandzic (Ricardinho 87) - Hernandez (Angulo 46), Allsopp (Sub not used: Mattei)

Booked: Vargas, Pondeljak

Goals: Allsopp 25, 56

Gold Coast United: Moss - Djulbic, Thwaite, Curtis, Anderson - Van Den Brink, Traore, Mebrahtu, Kim - Perchtold, Djite

Att: 8,287

Ref: P Green

Photo: Newcastle Jets drop to 8th after loss to Phoenix [Jetstar VH-VQG landing at Hobart on 27 January 2011 taken by PlessPix]

Wellington Phoenix 1-0 Newcastle Jets


Wellington Phoenix moved into sixth place on the Hyundai A-League with this 1-0 win over 8th-placed Newcastle Jets at Westpac Stadium in Wellington on Sunday afternoon.

It also set a club record of five straight home wins for the New Zealand outfit.

The goal came after just 20 minutes. A low cross from the right by Marco Rojas was smashed home by Dylan MacAllister to give the Kiwis the three points.

Newcastle’s chances of getting at least a draw were dashed when Ryan Griffiths was sent off midway through the second half for abusing the referee.

Seven yellow cards were also shown in this match, five of them to the home team.

Marco Jesic was unlucky for the Jets as he fired one effort against a post and had an overhead kick well saved by Danny Vukovic.


Wellington Phoenix: Vukovic - Hearfield, Sigmund, Durante, Lochhead - Lia (Greenacre 71), Ward (Daniel 60), Muscat, Brown - Rojas, MacAllister (Subs not used: Cornejo, Crowther)

Booked: Durante, Hearfield, Lia, Sigmund, Muscat

Goals: MacAllister 20

Newcastle Jets: Kennedy - Fiorentini, Regan, Topor-Stanley, D’Apuzzo - Elrich (Virgili 73), Wheelhouse, Jesic, Griffiths, Gallaway - Brockie (Haliti 69) (Subs not used: Pepper, Nash)

Booked: D’Apuzzo, Topor-Stanley

Sent off: Griffiths

Att: 10,917

Ref: C Beath

Photos (Top to Bottom): Eagles' Ben Whitehall (left) battles with South's Loic Feral; Jim Pennicott scores for South; Eagles' Andrew Clark (left) tries to contain South's Shae Hickey; Eagles' Simon Strang and Adam Bates give chase to South's Kostas Kanakaris; South's Hugo Bladel passes from midfield; Olympia's Bliss Cantrell (right) seeks to tackle a Clarence opponent; Olympia's Bliss Cantrell makes a break from midfield; Clarence's Edwards (left) about to tackle Olympia's Hale; Olympia's Bliss Cantrell feeds her forwards [PlessPix]


Wellington Phoenix 1 (MacAllister 20) beat Newcastle Jets 0

Att: 10,917

Ref: C Beath

Melbourne Victory 2 (Allsopp 25, 56) beat Gold Coast United 0

Att: 8,287

Ref: P Green

Friendlies (Wellesley Park)

South Hobart 4 (Feral, Lo, Pennicott, Roach) beat New Town Eagles 3 (Leszczynski, Quon, Page)

Saturday (Venue unknown)

Clarence United 7-0 Taroona


South Hobart Development Squad 2 (Quigley, Morton) beat New Town Eagles Reserves 0

Metro Reserves 2-3 Olympia Warriors Reserves

Queensland Flood Relief Charity Day Women's Football

Final: National Training Centre 6-0 Olympia Warriors

Consolation Final: Metro 1-0 Taroona

[The proceeds for the Queensland Flood Relief Appeal was $3,180.]

Photos (Top to Bottom): Metro keeper Nathan Grandin about to save from Olympia's Nick Meredith; metro's Aaron Marney tries to get past Olympia's Alex Nandan; Metro's Geoff Wicks (left) holds off Olympia's Howell; Metro's Jayden Wiggins tries to clear from the corner flag; Olympia's Warren Wadawu goes for a run; Olympia's Brady Cronk pursued by Metro's Lars Engisch; Olympia's Warren Wadawu on the turn; Olympia midfielder Ben Phillips gets a pass away [PlessPix]

Metro beat Olympia Warriors 2-1 in a practice match on Saturday afternoon at North Chigwell.

Aaron Marney gave Metro the lead in the first half, while Nick Meredith equalised for Olympia before the interval.

Daniel Brown hit Metro’s winner early in the second half.

Michael McKenna produced a brilliant save for Olympia near the end of the match to keep his side in with a chance, but the Metro defence, including goalkeeper Nathan Grandin, were up to any challenge that Olympia threw at them.

Olympia had former South Hobart, University and Nelson defender Craig Stockdale in their side.

Metro coach, Matthew Rhodes, said: “Another good work-out for us.

“It was a good game and nice and open in the second half.

“I thought both keepers played well in the second half.

“I thought we played quite well and our goals were very good.

“We’re building on our main aim for the year, which is to win promotion.”

Olympia seemed to lack a cutting edge and it will be interesting to see how they go in the Steve Hudson Cup, which begins in Launceston next Sunday.

They have been drawn in the weaker Group B of the competition and face Ulverstone at 1pm next Sunday in their opening game.

Coach Chris Hey was quite upbeat yesterday, despite the defeat.

“We asked them to try and maintain possession and knock the ball around and I felt that we did that in good parts of the game today,” said Olympia Warriors coach, Chris Hey.

“Defensively, I thought we were very, very slow. The two goals they scored were from good through-balls.

“Same as last year, we have to look at our back structure.

“I think we’re fine going forward, but I think we are also struggling in the front third as well.

“It’s just that final pass.

“I think there were a lot of positives from our perspective. I thought we didn’t rush the ball unnecessarily like we may have done last year. We did maintain some reasonable possession and controlled the ball well at times. That’s a big positive.

“We’ve still got to find the back of the net. We had some good opportunities, as they did.

“Yeah, we move on. I look forward to the games in the Summer Cup.”