Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 56 guests and no members online


Photo:  Zebras' Akuel Guot opens the scoring against University [Photo courtesy of Raelene Hennicke]

Tilford Zebras had to labour hard before beating University 3-0 in their Group A Premier League Section Summer Cup match at Olinda Grove this afternoon.

University had few chances in the opening half, while the Zebras were thwarted by a superb display of goalkeeping my veteran keeper Martin Piesse.

And, poor finishing characterised the Zebras’ opening 45 minutes.  They missed several clear-cut chances and also hit the woodwork on one occasion.

Iain Fletcher was assigned to mark Zebras’ dangerman Akuel Guot and had his hands full trying to contain the speedy flankman.  Guot often found a way past the University defender and sent over good crosses, but his team-mates continually squandered the openings.

The deadlock was not broken until the 63rd minute when Liam Scott’s through-ball put Guot in on goal and he shot past the advancing Piesse to make it 1-0 for the Zebras.


Photo:  Marcello Marchioli beats Hobart United's keeper with a free-kick [PlessPix]

The game was not made safe until 9 minutes from the end.  Liam Scott collected a short corner from the right and played the ball into the box, where Guot stabbed it home to give his side a 2-0 lead.

In the final minute, Jonathon Ladic slipped the ball through to Matt Hall from midfield and the youngster raced into the box before beating Piesse, who had come off his line in a vain attempt to narrow the angle.

The victory ensured Zebras of top spot in the group and they now meet Olympia Warriors in the semi-finals scheduled for KGV Park on Wednesday night.


Photo:  A typical Zebras miss against University [PlessPix]

In yesterday’s Group C game at Olinda Grove, Kingborough Lions United downed Hobart United 4-0 but lost goalkeeper Adam Coleman with what appeared to be a serious leg injury.  Coleman went down in some pain with no-one near him and had to be carried off on a stretcher.  He may have a calf or Achilles tendon injury.

Joel Schuth gave the Lions the lead in the 39th minute after United failed to clear a corner and amid claims of off-side by the United defenders.

Marcello Marchioli made it 2-0 with a penalty in the 55th minute, and he then netted direct from a free-kick 8 minutes from the end to give the Lions a commanding 3-0 lead.

David Cooper made it 4-0 with two minutes remaining.


Photo:  Zebras' Ricky Self (left) moves in on University's Hewson [PlessPix]

“It was quite a scrappy game,” said Kingborough coach, Geoff Freeman.  “Hobart United put us under quite a bit of pressure physically and with their attack on the ball.

“We were probably quite tired physically after Saturday’s game, but we still endeavoured to try and play the way we wanted to play.

“It was a little bit scrappy from our point of view, but we’ll take the win.

“I’m a little bit disappointed to come out of the game with a couple of injuries as well, so we’ll see how we go.”

Aubert Ruzigandekwe, coach of Hobart United, said:  “I think it was a good game to watch.  It was high intensity with good passing, but we were one down at half-time.

“In the second half we tried to come back, but we conceded a penalty and that gave them confidence.

“We were playing for nothing.”


Photo:  University's Jon Merry and goalkeeper Martin Piesse clear their lines [PlessPix]

In the Steve Hudson Cup semi-finals, South Hobart won plenty of corners and hit the woodwork four times in the opening half against Olympia Warriors but only ran out 2-1 winners, all the goals coming in the first half.

An own-goal and a strike by Andy Brennan gave South its win, while Alex Nandan replied for Olympia.

South Hobart will meet Prospect Knights in next weekend’s final after they overcame Riverside Olympic 5-1 in the other semi-final through two goals by Toby Omenihu and one each by Ben Crosswell, Matthew Sesay and Chris Hill.

In the remaining games of the competition, Northern Rangers finally came good with a 7-0 trouncing of Ulverstone.  Mark Ambrose and Stefan Jago each scored a brace, while Patty Lanu-Atkinson, Josh van Zetten and Derek Schipper notched a goal apiece.

Launceston United, who host this annual tournament had cause to celebrate their 5-3 win over Launceston City.

The win ended a run of 52 games without a win, which contained only two draws.  Their previous win had been a 3-1 triumph over Ulverstone on 12 July, 2008.

Metro holds the record of the most consecutive losses, with 32 defeats in a row between 1962 and 1964.  DOSA went 43 games without a win from 2001 until 2003, although they did manage a couple of draws.  [Statistics kindly supplied by Keith Roberts.]


Photo:  Brothers in arms...Kingborough's David and Will Abbott face three Hobart United attackers [PlessPix]

In the Women’s Premier League Summer Cup competition today, Clarence United thrashed University 16-0.  University had only eight players.

Taroona downed Glenorchy Knights 4-0, with the Knights finishing the game with just 9 players because of injuries.

Tilford Zebras beat Kingborough Lions United 5-1, while Nelson Eastern Suburbs forfeited to Olympia Warriors.

The semi-finals will be between the TIS and Glenorchy Knights, and Clarence United and Taroona.