Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 84 guests and no members online

McKeown_header_26_02_11Photo:  Eagles' Jamie Vernon heads at goal [PlessPix]

Premier League Section Summer Cup (Group D, North Chigwell)

New Town Eagles 5 (Barabara36, Gonzalez 49, Leszczynski 52, Clamp 56, Vernon 91)

Metro 0

HT: 1-0   Att: 70  Ref: I Jozeljic

New Town Eagles: L Ferrall;  Anderson, Clark, Whitehall, Leszczynski, McKeown, Vernon, Cox, Barabara, N Ferrall (Interchange:  Lea, Wass, Clamp, Gonzalez)

Metro: Dand;  McQueen, Daniels, Yuill, Thurley, Engisch, Brown, Morris, Wicks, Wiggins, Marney (Interchange:  Binning, Rozynski, Richardson, Lewis)


It took New Town Eagles more than half an hour to break down a stubborn Metro outfit that offered some danger on the counter-attack.

Juma Barabara scored his third goal in two games to put Eagles ahead in the 36th minute.

Four minutes after the resumption, Esteban Gonzalez made it 2-0 with a powerful low shot from the edge of the box.


Photo:  Eagles' David Cox intercepts a pass in midfield [PlessPix]

Alex Leszczynski added the third in the 52nd minute with a shot that ricocheted off several players before slithering over the line.

Jacob Clamp netted the fourth in the 56th minute and it took until a minute into stoppage time for Jamie Vernon to sweep home the fifth.

Both sides hit the woodwork, but Eagles deserved their win.  Metro had one effort disallowed for off-side and Jeremy Morris should really have netted from a marvellous chance that came his way.


Photo:  Juma Barabara scores past a despairing Alex Dand to give Eagles the lead [PlessPix]

The win saw Eagles finish top of Group D and they will now meet South Hobart in the semi-finals of the Summer Cup at KGV Park on Wednesday.


New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“We gave all the boys a run, which is great.  Wass is back and Nick Ferrall is back, and young Liam [Ferrall] did well in goal.

“I think Premier League sides should be able to at least have a win against Division One sides.

“Our first-half play was shocking and we only scored once, so it wasn’t a comfortable win.  We played one half of football and scored four goals, so I’m delighted with that at least.

“I’m happy because I’ve got depth this year and so I’m hoping we can go further up the table than we have done in the past two years.”


Photo:  Metro keeper Alex Dand makes a save as Eagles hover [PlessPix]

Metro coach, Matthew Rhodes, said:

“It was a good first half and we were competitive and unlucky not to have a penalty.

“We hit the post with a free-kick, but we lost the game in the 15 minute after half-time when they got three chances and scored three goals.

“The game was over then.  We pushed a few players on to see if we could come back, but, not, they outplayed us today.

“We learned a lot about ourselves from this competition and about what we need to work on, but they were just the better team on the day.”