Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 73 guests and no members online

Tony_Franken_imagePhoto:  Socceroos' goalkeeping coach, Tony Franken

Socceroos’ goalkeeping coach Tony Franken is in Hobart today [Monday] to conduct a coaching session at KGV Park from 6pm to 7.30pm.

The session is free and open to anyone interested.

The theme of his session is ‘incorporating field players with goalkeepers’.

McKeown_takes_on_LingPhoto:  Eagles' Adam McKeown gives Clarence's Toby Ling a run [PlessPix]

New Town Eagles 5-2 Clarence United


New Town Eagles of Group D won this match against Group B rivals Clarence United 5-2 with some ease, but it may have been more interesting if Clarence had scored from the penalty they received and if Mattias Toghill’s thunderous second-half shot had gone in instead of rattling the crossbar.

Having said that, Eagles also missed a penalty and scored another, so it might have been easier for them than the score-line suggests.


Photo:  Olympia Warriors' Josh Fielding in possession [Photo courtesy of Brendan Lichtendonk]

South Hobart beat Northern Rangers 4-0 in the Steve Hudson Cup tournament in Launceston this afternoon.

Nick Di Falco netted twice and Jonathon Lo and Greg Downes once each to give South Hobart top spot in Group A.

Copy_of_Johnson_tackledPhoto:  Knights' new signing Sam Johnson (left) in action [PlessPix]

Metro 2-2 Glenorchy Knights


The North Chigwell ground was quite playable despite the wet conditions, but there were sticky areas and puddles here and there which caused problems.

The Knights found that out to their cost as early as the 5th minute when a move at the back ended with the ball caught in a puddle and defenders looking on as Metro’s Jeremy Morris reacted the quickest to gain possession and beat keeper Ben Peter from an angle on the left to put his side in front.