Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 137 guests and no members online


Photo:  Taroona keeper Robert Hortle is relieved as a Beachside shot goes wide [PlessPix]

Beachside 3-0 Taroona


Beachside secured their first win in Group A of the Premier League section of the Summer Cup with this 3-0 result against Taroona at Wellesley Park on Wednesday evening.

They had the better of the first half and Nathan Robinson could have scored twice with close-range headers in the opening 10 minutes after long throw-ins from the left by Tom Gordon.  His headers were tame, however, and goalkeeper Robert Hortle was untroubled in catching the ball.

It took Beachside 36 minutes to take the lead and it needed a penetrating run down the right by player-coach Brett Pullen to break the deadlock.  His cross to the far post was headed home by Jamon Pennicott from close range.


Photo:  Beachside's new signing from Somerset, Andrew Keygan shields the ball from Taroona's Hugo Luttmer [PlessPix]


Beachside beat Taroona 3-0 in their postponed Summer Cup match played at Wellesley Park this evening.
Jamon Pennicott headed Beachside in front from the far post in the 36th minute following Brett Pullen’s right-wing cross.
Matthew Hedge made it 2-0 in the 49th minute after good work inside the box by Liam Brown.
Andrew Douglas added the third in the 86th minute when he ran onto a superb pass from Tom Gordon and smashed an unstoppable shot pastkeeper Robert Hortle from the edge of the box.

Ken_Mortoncoach_of_the_year_2010Photo:  Ken Morton is a finalist in the Tasmanian "Coach of the Year" Award [PlessPix]

South Hobart coach Ken Morton has been nominated for the award of “Coach of the Year’ at the 47th Annual Tasmanian Sports Awards.
As a finalist, Morton will attend the presentation gala dinner at Launceston’s Silverdome on Saturday, 19 March.
It’s nice to see football, and Ken Morton, recognised in this way.
It also reflects positively on the South Hobart club which, of course, celebrated its 100th anniversary last year.
Morton has done it all in Tasmanian football, having played with distinction and coached several clubs to titles.
I am still amazed, however, that there is no-one from football represented in the Tasmanian Sporting Hall of Fame.


AUSTRALIAN_SQUAD_2Photo:  The 16-man Australian Viking Futsal squad

Glenorchy Knights utility player, Corey Smith, has just returned to Tasmania after a training camp in Brisbane to select the Australian Viking Futsal team for the coming World Cup in France.

I spoke to Corey after his return.

Walter Pless: Where are things at in relation to the final squad?

Corey Smith: The squad has been cut to 16.  I am in the 16 and they now need to cut a further 3 players.

WP: What were conditions like?

CS: The weather was the hottest and most humid I have trained in, with it being 35 degrees outside and around 45 degrees inside on the court.  I really struggled breathing but pushed myself as much as possible.

WP: Can you describe the sessions, please?