Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 340 guests and no members online


Photo:  Luke Brattan (left) started for Brisbane but Thomas Broich missed again through injury [PlessPix]

(A-League, Suncorp Stadium, Saturday, 31 December 2011)

Brisbane Roar 3 (Nichols 44, Visconte 50, I Franjic 53)

Melbourne Victory 1 (Kewell 3)

HT: 1-1   Att: 14,852   Ref: M Gillett

Brisbane Roar: Theoklitos  -  Adnan, Smith, Jurman  -  I Franjic, Brattan (Nakajima-Farran 69), Paartalu, Stefanutto (Hingert 80)  -  Nichols (Murdocca 56), Berisha, Visconte  (Sub not used:  Redmayne)

Melbourne Victory: Covic  -  Foschini, P Franjic, Vargas, Fabio  -  Ferreira (Brebner 65), Broxham, Celeski (Cernak 76)  -  Thompson, Hernandez (Allsopp 65), Kewell  (Sub not used:  Thomas)


Photo:  Luke Brattan finally got a start for Brisbane Roar [PlessPix]

Brisbane Roar, the reigning A-League champions, ended their run of five straight defeats when they beat Melbourne Victory 3-1 tonight at Suncorp Stadium before 14,852 spectators, which is not a bad attendance for New Year’s Eve.

Harry Kewell put Victory ahead after only three minutes when he picked up a pass wide on the right and cut inside a defender before hitting a left-foot shot past Michael Theoklitos from 21 metres to register his first A-League goal from open play.


Photo:  Bahrain international Sayed Mohamed Adnan played in central defence for Brisbane against Victory [PlessPix]

Brisbane were almost level a minute later, but Shane Stefanutto’s shot came back off the crossbar.

The equaliser for Brisbane, who were playing a 3-4-3 system rather than their customary 4-3-3, came in the 44th minute through a diving header by Mitch Nichols following Stefanutto’s left-wing cross.

Brisbane killed the game off within eight minutes of the restart as Berisha set up substitute Rocky Visconte in the 50th minute to put the home side in front, and then played a one-two with Ivan Franjic, who made it 3-1 in the 53rd minute.

The win keeps Brisbane in third spot, a point adrift of second-placed Melbourne Heart, while Melbourne Victory are sixth.