Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 121 guests and no members online

Chelsea suffered their first defeat in this season's English Premier League campaign when they went down 1-0 away to Manchester City tonight.

City are now fourth with 11 points, the same as Arsenal and Manchester United, and all three are 4 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.

Chelsea were unlucky not to score on several occasions.

In the 27th minute, Drogba played a corner back to Malouda, whose cross to the far post was headed back across goal by Alex to Ivanovic, whose header hit the post. The ball rebounded to Ivanovic, whose second header was saved by Hart.

Chelsea were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when City’s 19-year-old Boyata blatantly body-checked Drogba inside the box.

This was the first time this season that Chelsea had not scored within the opening 34 minutes.

A minute after the break, Anelka fired just wide for the visitors, while a minute later, Essien headed over the bar when he should have scored.

The winner came from Tevez in the 59th minute. The Argentine picked up the ball just inside his own half and sprinted to the edge of the Chelsea penalty area before firing through the legs of Ashley Cole and into the net off the inside of the far left-hand post.

Melbourne Victory may have kept four clean sheets in a row, but they cannot seem to score at the other end either.

They drew 0-0 away to the Newcastle Jets this evening before 8,652 fans. Children 15 years and under were allowed free entry.

Melbourne dominated the match and had many more shots at goal than the Jets, but they are badly missing a striker. It was their third game in a row without scoring and Archie Thompson is clearly missed.

Newcastle almost took the lead in the 8th minute when Ruben Zadkovich smashed a marvellous shot against the underside of the bar.

Melbourne hit back immediately and Billy Celeski had a shot deflected just wide by the toe of a team-mate.

In the 11th minute, Carlos Hernandez, who was guilty of some glaring misses during the match, shot wide of the target.

Newcastle keeper Ben Kennedy saved well from Marvin Angulo in the 14th minute as the visitors continued to dictate the play, and it was Angulo again who shot wide in the 21st minute.

Eight minutes after the interval, Hernandez blazed high and wide of the target after Robbie Kruse cut the ball back perfectly for him from the left.

The Jets suffered a scare in the 69th minute when Nikolai Topor-Stanley sliced a cross up in the air and Tom Pondeljak headed at goal. Kennedy decided to catch the ball rather than tip it over the bar and, despite having one leg over the line, he kept the ball in play.

Kennedy did well to foil Ricardinho in the 71st minute after a long goal-kick by Michael Petkovic and an error by Tarek Elrich had allowed the Brazilian a clear run at goal.

Two minutes from the end, Melbourne substitute Jeff Kellaway found a way down the left but placed his shot wide of the far post.

The draw left the Jets in 9th spot on the A-League ladder, while Melbourne Victory dropped to 5th place.

Brisbane Roar produced an excellent display to beat Melbourne Heart 4-0 at Suncorp Stadium today and move into 2nd place on the A-League ladder.

Roar coach Ange Postecoglu has assembled a fine team this season and they are playing attractive and effective football.

The home side took a 23rd-minute lead through Kosta Barbarouses. Thomas Broich released Shane Stefanutto down the left and he picked out Barbarouses on the right of the box. Barbarouses rounded Dean Heffernan and scored with a shot that deflected off Simon Colosimo and beat Clint Bolton.

Bolton had a magnificent game for Melbourne Heart and the score might have been doubled but for the visiting keeper’s heroics.

In the 32nd minute, Reinaldo squared the ball across the box for Barbarouses, but Bolton blocked his strike.

A minute later, Luke DeVere found Matt McKay, who turned sharply and sent in a shot from the corner of the box, but Bolton again came to the rescue by diverting the ball for a corner.

It was all Brisbane and, in the 34th minute, a short corner enabled Broich to float the ball over from the left, where Barbarouses’s header was cleared off the line by Matt Thompson.

Brisbane were attacking relentlessly and, in the 35th minute, Erik Paartalu fired just wide after collecting a pass from the right.

It was 2-0 two minutes later. A cross from the right was headed clear, but only as far as Matt Smith, whose goal-bound shot was deflected in by team-mate Paartalu.

Reinaldo added the third 3 minutes after the resumption from a penalty, which he earned after being brought down from behind by Dean Heffernan.

Heffernan collected a second yellow card 6 minutes later and was sent off.

With Heart down to 10 men, it meant even more action for Bolton and the keeper rose to the occasion, denying Reinaldo in the 62nd minute by racing off his line and clearing at the striker’s feet after a splendid pass by Barbarouses had put the Brazilian in with a chance.

Three minutes later Bolton produced a wonderful save from Mitch Nichols, diving to his left and turning the ball wide.

Bolton was at it again in the 74th minute when he somehow got to Rocco Visconte’s shot and turned the ball to safety.

A beautifully worked goal in the 76th minute completed Brisbane’s victory. Nichols played a one-two on the edge of the box with Nichols and got inside the area before beating Bolton with a low drive inside the far left-hand post.

Heart not only lost the match, but their key defender Simon Colosimo had to leave the field with a neck injury that looked quite serious.

The attendance of 6,000 was a little disappointing, given the fine football that Brisbane are playing.

Melbourne Heart dropped to 8th on the ladder. Their next game is the first Melbourne derby against Melbourne Victory, but this may be postponed because of the replay next Saturday night of the AFL grand final.

Photos (Top to Bottom): Bart Beecroft took out the best-and-fairest award; Jonathan Dernard was the Division 4 side's best-and-fairest player; Daniel Brown was the senior team's players' player of the year; Dean Jones, top scorer for the Division 4 side, flanked by Garry Upton and Hugo Bladel; Top scorer for the seniors, Jonathon Lo, with his proud father, William Lo; Senior coach Ken Morton delivers his speech; Tom Bilson almost scooped the pool in the under-19 awards; Dylan Postma was the leading scorer in the under-19s; David Cooper (left) and Jimmy James; Reserves' coach Jed Donohue with best-and-fairest and players' player-of-the-year award recipient David Cooper; Ken Morton and partner and club president Vicki Woods; South Hobart's webmaster Moreeta Pennicott; Max Clarke, the club's top scorer; (L-R) Jonathon Lo, Shae Hickey, Tom Roach, Hugh Ludford and Bart Beecroft with the 'Walker Award'; The soon-to-be medico Tom Roach with some vital medicinal fluid; A group of senior players take a bow [PlessPix]

Bart Beecroft was voted South Hobart’s best-and-fairest Premier League player at the club’s trophy presentation dinner at Zum tonight.

Beecroft captained the side to a Tasmanian record of 34 unbeaten matches, in which South Hobart collected all five trophies on offer in the State.

Beecroft will not play for South Hobart next season as he is moving to Melbourne in his employment.

Jonathon Lo was the Premier League side’s leading scorer with 18 goals, while the players’ player of the year was defender Daniel Brown.

In the Reserves, who won their fifth league title in a row, David Cooper was the best-and-fairest player with 41 votes, and he also took out the players’ player-of-the-year award.

Dylan Postma was the leading scorer for the under-19s, while Tom Bilson won the best-and-fairest award and the players’ player-of-the-year award.

In South Hobart’s Division 4 side, which had a squad of 39 players, Jonathan Dernard won the players’ player-of-the-year award and the best-and-fairest trophy.

Dernard, a Frenchman from Lyon, was in his first season with the club and also made an appearance for the reserves.

The top scorer for the Division 4 side was Dean Jones, a former NSL player from New South Wales.

Fifteen-year-old Max Clarke was South Hobart’s overall top scorer with 38 goals.

The club will have its centenary dinner next Friday at Tattersall’s Park.

South Hobart coach Ken Morton thanked his players, committee and supporters for the magnificent achievements this season.

Morton and 11 youngsters from the Morton Soccer School leave Tasmania on 7 October for a visit to the UK, where they will train at the Manchester United youth academy facilities and take in the English Premier League match between Manchester United and West Bromwich Albion at Old Trafford.