Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 80 guests and no members online

Photos (Top to Bottom): John Boulous, CEO of FFT, said his organisation is committed to finding a technical director who will implement the national curriculum; New Town Eagles players at pre-season training yesterday; Glenorchy Knights coach Nick Harrison talks to his players at yesterday's pre-season session; Jacob Huigsloot (left) and newcomer Jason Dawes at Knights training; Harrison in discussion with his assistant coach, Anthony Grundy; Two games in progress at the Vikings Futsal State championships on Saturday; Two Futsal games in another hall at Bartercard Stadium [PlessPix]

Football Federation Tasmania have advertised the position of technical director and game development manager.

The previous incumbent, Steve Payne, resigned at the end of August after less than a year in the job.

“Football Federation Tasmania are committed to filling this position to ensure the continued implementation of the national curriculum,” said FFT CEO, John Boulous.

“Football Federation Tasmania, through this position, are looking to provide the expertise to support the football community, players and coaches to develop and be the very best they can be.”

The successful applicant will be on a three-year contract and must have a Football Federation of Australia ‘A’ or ‘B’ licence, or the equivalent Asian Football Confederation or EUFA qualifications.

Applications close on 10 December.

Meanwhile, applications have closed for the coaching positions for the FFT boys’ and girls’ under-14 and under-15 teams.


Quite a few southern Premier League clubs have commenced pre-season training, including Glenorchy Knights and New Town Eagles.

Metro striker Jason Dawes is training with the Knights.

South Hobart, the reigning champions, begin their pre-season on Thursday.

South Hobart will host South Melbourne Hellas in mid-January for a series of weekend games.


Vikings Futsal had a successful State championship series last weekend.

South Melbourne even sent a team to compete, while Football Federation Tasmania also entered a team.

Central Coast Mariners 2-3 Gold Coast United


Gold Coast United beat Central Coast Mariners 3-2 away at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford yesterday.

The result left Gold Coast in third place and the Mariners in fourth spot on the A-League ladder.

Errors by normally reliable defenders played a huge part in the result of this match at a refurbished Bluetongue in what was the Mariners’ first home match in seven games. The surface left something to be desired, but it was the same for both sides.

Gold Coast were without start forward Joel Porter, who withdrew with a hamstring strain after the warm-up.

Jason Culina, back from international duty in Egypt, had the first chance of the game after two minutes, but his powerful shot was directed straight at keeper Matthew Ryan.

In the 6th minute, the Mariners’ Daniel McBreen headed narrowly wide at the other end.

Seven minutes later, Matt Simon missed an absolute sitter from Alex Wilkinson’s cross from the right.

The Mariners’ Mustafa Amini caused a scare for the visitors in the 21st minute when Glenn Moss failed to hold his initial shot, but the keeper recovered and grabbed the ball.

Moss produced a good save from Michael McGlinchey on the half-hour, and again from Amini 6 minutes later.

Simon gave the home side the lead in the 41st minute. Oliver Bozanic released Josh Rose on the left and his cross was turned in by Simon for his fourth goal of the season.

On the stroke of half-time, Gold Coast were level. Culina’s corner from the right was headed at goal by Dino Djulbic and blocked by Chris Doig, who headed it straight back to Djulbic, who this time volleyed it into the roof of the net.

Gold Coast squandered a great chance to take the lead in the 50th minute when Tahj Minniecon beat the off-side trap and raced at goal. In a one-on-one with Ryan, Minniecon somehow shot wide.

Three minutes later, the Mariners’ McGlinchey forced a fine save from Moss.

The Mariners almost scored in the 66th minute, but Doig mis-kicked and Moss was able to snatch the ball in a mad scramble in the goalmouth.

In the 69th minute, Gold Coast hit the front when a left-wing cross by Adama Traore carried through to Steve Pantelidis on the right and he beat Ryan at his near post with a snap shot from close range.

The lead lasted just 2 minutes. Substitute Adam Kwasnik made it 2-2 when a high ball into the box was misjudged by Djulbic and Moss. The keeper got a hand to the ball but couldn’t catch it and Kwasnik gained possession and slotted the ball home.

Another two minutes and it was 3-2 for the Gold Coast. Mariners captain Wilkinson tried to control the ball with his chest but it bounced off him to Gold Coast substitute Andrew Barisic, who took it on and fired past Ryan.

Four minutes later, Ryan saved superbly from Barisic as the Gold Coast sought to increase their lead.

Neither side was able to add to their tally and Gold Coast collected the three points to keep them 2 points ahead of the Mariners, 4 behind second-placed Adelaide United and 7 adrift of leaders Brisbane Roar.


Central Coast Mariners: Ryan - Wilkinson, Doig, Zwaanswijk, Rose - McGlinchey, Griffiths, Amini (Kwasnik 55), Bozanic (Lewis 68) - Simon, McBreen (Hutchinson 68) (Sub not used: Henderson)

Booked: Lewis

Goals: Simon 41, Kwasnik 71

Gold Coast United: Moss - Fitzsimmons (Barisic 71), Djulbic, Rees, Anderson - Pantelidis, Culina (Curtis 90+2), Van Den Brink - Caravella, Minniecon (Robson 65), Traore (Sub not used: Higgins)

Booked: Djulbic, Pantelidis

Goals: Djulbic 45, Pantelidis 69, Barisic 73

Att: 9,732

Ref: M Gillett

Sydney FC 2-0 Perth Glory


Perth missed a chance after just 50 seconds, and that was that for them.

A header by Baird after Burns’s free-kick was cleared off the line by McFlynn, and with the visitors rarely threatening after that, Sydney went on to win 2-0 before a disappointing crowd at Parramatta Stadium.

Fowler had a couple of chances for Perth, but Necevski and his defence were rarely in danger.

His opposite number, Velaphi, had to be at his best to block a powerful effort by McFlynn in the 4th minute following a corner.

Brosque fired across the face of the Perth goal in the 25th minute when he should have at least worked Velaphi.

The departure of Keller after just 34 minutes because he was suffering double vision did not increase any threat posed by Perth.

Sydney took a 75th-minute lead through Cole, who was put through by an excellent pass from Brosque, and the defender fired low across Velaphi and inside the far post.

Six minutes later, Brosque, who was playing his 100th A-League match, became the A-League’s third highest marksman when he collected a through-ball from Moriyasu and rounded the advancing Velaphi to slot home Sydney’s second.

Perth’s misery was compounded when they had fill-in central defender Griffiths sent off in the final minute for a foul on Brosque.

Sydney are 10th on the table and still within reach of a top-six spot, while Perth are 9th and sinking rapidly, despite raising their heads briefly above the water every now and then.


Sydney FC: Necevski - Cole, Keller (Ryall 34), Foxe, Sung-Hwan - Grant (Petratos 57), Musialik, Moriyasu, McFlynn - Bridge (Antonis 84), Brosque (Sub not used: Reddy)

Booked: Moriyasu, Foxe, McFlynn

Goals: Cole 75, Brosque 81

Perth Glory: Velaphi - Coyne, Mitchell, Griffiths, Sekulovski - Pellegrino. Burns, McGarry, Howarth (Amphlett 84) - Fowler, Baird (Sterjovski 65) (Subs not used: Risdon, Vrteski)

Booked: Burns

Sent-off: Griffiths

Att: 6,654

Ref: P Green

Sydney FC 2 (Cole 75, Brosque 81) beat Perth Glory 0

Central Coast Mariners 2 (Simon 41, Kwasnik 71) lost to Gold Coast United 3 (Djulbic 45, Pantelidis 69, Barisic 73)