Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 91 guests and no members online

Olympia Warriors have postponed their 50th anniversary dinner until March next year.

The dinner was originally scheduled for 12 June.

“We haven’t cancelled the dinner,” said Olympia president, George Mamacas.

“We’ve postponed it until March next year.

“There are a number of reasons, one of which is that the whole Estia Festival, which ran over the past two months, has just been completed.

“There’ve been a few functions of late, one of which will happen on Saturday night, which will be the Heart Foundation dinner, which is being put on by the Greek community.

“We felt that it being winter, also, didn’t help the cause.

“There’s no doubt that there’s a general down feeling within the club at the moment based on its performance at the senior level, but we feel, given time, we hope to get enough support within the club itself that the function will be a success in March.

“There’s nothing sinister about it.

“We just decided that we wanted to have a good celebration and, in the middle of June, and we’re on the bottom of the ladder and we haven’t won a game yet, it may not be the best time.

“Who knows if we’ll win one by then. I’m hoping we will, and I think we will, but we don’t know for sure, but that has certainly played a part in postponing it.

“But, at the end of the day, we just felt it might be better as a launch of the 2011 season.”

I guess that explains George's comment at Saturday night's game against Clarence United.

Pacing up and down the touchline during the game, George was heard to say: "I wish I could go home and go to sleep and wake up next year."

Actually, the postponement is probably a good thing. My research shows that Olympia played its first game in 1961, so 2011 is the correct year for the club's 50th anniversary.


Tonight’s scheduled Premier League game between Glenorchy Knights and Taroona was postponed for a second time.

The game was originally postponed last month because KGV Park was closed for repairs to both goal-mouths.

Both clubs are reported to have consented to this latest postponement.

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Lightwood Park, Sunday, 9 May 2010)


Kingborough Lions United 1 (A Davies 25)

South Hobart 4 (T Roach 27, S Hickey 37, G Downes 45, J Lo 68)

HT: 1-3 Att: 90 Ref: K Barker

Kingborough Lions United: Leamey - Davies, Lucas, Iseli, R Hinkley - Bevan, Andrews, Marchioli, Schuth - Greg Freeman (T Pearce 62), McDonald [Substitutes not used: C Hughes, D Pearce, Bremner] [Coach: Geoff Freeman]

South Hobart: Kruijver - Heerey (Williams 86), M Brown, D Brown, Scott - Hickey (Brennan 76), Roach, Beecroft, Downes - Kanakaris (Wook Bum Heo 70), Lo [Substitute not used: Pennicott] [Coach: Ken Morton]


Kingborough were probably at their most dangerous at set-pieces, from which they scored once and missed several more good chances.

Marc Iseli and Andrew Davies both went close from Joel Schuth’s corner in the 23rd minute.

Davies atoned two minutes later when he volleyed home after Marcello Marchioli’s clever free-kick had caught out the visitors’ defence.

Greg Freeman missed an excellent chance when he was left alone but failed to get to an inviting cross.

But, South were level in the 27th minute when Tom Roach scored at the far post from Josh Heerey’s cross from the right.

Greg Downes almost added another in the 33rd minute from Shae Hickey’s left-wing cross.

Hickey made it 2-1 for South in the 37th minute when he broke down the left, cut inside, and placed a perfect low shot past David Leamey and inside the far post.

Downes, who was having a fine game, killed off the contest on the stroke of half-time when he netted direct from a free-kick taken from just outside the left of the box.

Sam Kruijver was called into action five minutes after the break when he blocked at Tom McDonald’s feet as the striker threatened to break through.

A minute later, with the home side obviously getting their second wind, Joel Schuth fired just wide of the far post.

But, South rallied and Jonathon Lo forced a fine save from Leamey in the 56th minute.

South made it 4-1 in the 68th minute when Downes sent over a right-wing cross and Lo headed at goal. Leamey could only partially save it and the ball hit the inside of the post and rolled over the line.

Downes smashed a great effort against the bar and Ross Hinkley cleared off the line as the visitors increased the tempo.

Substitute Andy Brennan proved a handful for the Kingborough defence when he came on, while in the closing minutes Downes had a header cleared off the line by Ryan Bevan and Lo sent a firm header from Wook Bum Heo’s right-wing cross over the bar.

The win gave South Hobart an 8-point lead at the top of the ladder, while Kingborough remain fourth.


· Kingborough Lions United coach, Geoff Freeman, said:

“I thought, particularly the first half, was a good game and I thought we battled well.

“We could have been two up and had one scrambled off the line. At 2-0, it could have been a different story.

“To concede straight away after we went 1-0 up really hurt. And then, we had another opportunity to make it 2-1 with Greg’s free header, but it wasn’t to be.

“If you don’t take your chances against the top sides, you’re going to get beaten.

“Four-one probably flattered them, but then again, they could have scored more. I suppose it was a kind of interesting score-line.

“We battled well and we tried hard, but South are a very good side.”

· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“I think their opening goal shook us up a little bit, but after we got the equaliser I think it was one-way traffic for the rest of the game.

“We could have had a lot more goals. A lot more chances came our way and we should have taken those chances.

“It was a good performance from us. We controlled the tempo of the game, we controlled the football and we played well.

“[The title] is not ours yet. We’ll take it one game at a time and, to be fair, I think we have to. If we get complacent now, then that’s when we’ll lose it.

“We’ve got the Lakoseljac Cup next week away to Northern Rangers, who are a good side, so we’ll take it one game at a time.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Wentworth Park, Saturday, 8 May 2010)


Clarence United 3 (A Barron 27, B Parker 38, L Huigsloot 85)

Olympia Warriors 1 (K Grillas 23)

HT: 2-1 Att: 100 Ref: I Jozeljic

Clarence United: Sweeney - Toghill, Parker, Cannamela, McMahon - Barron (E Tsakiris 86), S McIntyre, L Huigsloot, Stevens (Rees 90), Hamlett (Malcolm 86) - Cripps [Substitute not used: Sweetten]

Olympia Warriors: Nester - Mohamad (Percy 80), Richardson, A Hedge, Wakefield - Wadawu (McCallum 32), Phillips (Tracy 80), Mason, J Hey - Cronk, Grillas [Substitute not used: Undy]


Olympia Warriors made it 10 games without a win after going down 3-1 away to Clarence United at Wentworth Park on Saturday night and this was a new record for the club. They went nine games without a win back in the early 1990s.

A minute's silence was observed before kick-off in memory of Don Finegan, a former Olympia chairman, who had passed away the previous week.

It was a promising start for the visitors as Brady Cronk forced a good save from Cameron Sweeney after just three minutes.

But, when Luke Cripps hit the crossbar two minutes later, Olympia knew what they were in for.

In the 14th minute, Sam McIntyre fired wide for the home side, but Olympia took the lead in the 23rd minute with a well-worked goal. Jayden Hey took a throw-in from the left and Ben Phillips slipped the ball through for Kosta Grillas to fire home.

In the 27th minute, a long clearance from Sweeney was headed down by Youssef Mohamad, but only into the path of Luke Huigsloot, who rattled the crossbar with a bullet-like shot. Ben Hamlett was following up and, when Dmitri Nester could only parry his shot, Andy Barron slotted the ball home to make it 1-1.

Warren Wadawu, who was one of Olympia’s most promising players on the night, was injured and replaced by Rory McCallum just past the half-hour mark.

Clarence took the lead in the 38th minute following a corner from the left by Mattias Toghill. The ball cannoned off a defender and Ben Parker bundled it home to make it 2-1.

Hamlett should have added a third five minutes before the interval, but his effort lacked power.

Clarence almost found a third goal in the 74th minute, but Nester parried Barron’s shot and McIntyre’s effort from the rebound was blocked.

Olympia’s Mohamad was carried off on a stretcher after injuring his back 10 minutes from the end.

With five minutes remaining, Adam Hedge fouled an opponent just outside the box and this led to Clarence’s third goal. McIntyre played the free-kick towards the near post and Huigsloot bundled it home to complete the victory.


· Clarence United technical director, Franco Previdi, said:

“I believe that we were in control of the game.

“I mean, they had a few chances in the first half. They had a couple of good chances, but overall I thought we deserved the three points.

“They’ve got a young team as well, the same as us, but they’ve got a long way to go to be dominant in the game.

“Overall, I think it was a good game for us. We put the ball in the net and got three goals. We should have had a few more, but we’ll take the three points.”

· Olympia Warriors coach, Chris Hey, said:

“We couldn’t control the ball. It kept bouncing away from us. It just seemed as if it bounced away from us and to one of their players.

“It was one of those games. I felt we were a bit flat tonight.

“We were 2-1 down at half-time, but I felt we were lucky to be in the game.”

· Olympia Warriors midfielder, Lee Mason, said:

“We tried to shut people down, but it just didn’t work today.

“The effort was lacking on our part.

“Abysmal. I didn’t enjoy it.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Clare Street, Saturday, 8 May 2010)


New Town Eagles 0

Glenorchy Knights 0

Att: 70 Ref: C Phillips

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Anderson, Louden, Vernon, Clark - Whitehall, Kent, Strang (Quan 82), Shackcloth (Fennell 70) - Leszczynski, McKeown [Substitutes not used: Pope, Minty] [Coach: George Krambousanos]

Glenorchy Knights: Peter - Mrzyk, Holmes, Grundy, J Huigsloot - Clay, Fielding, Kamba (Nowicki 80), Barabara (Roberts 70) - Smith, Koroma (Hope 87) [Substitute not used: Grainger] [Coach: Nick Harrison]


Glenorchy Knights missed a great opportunity to close the gap between themselves and leaders South Hobart as a result of this goalless draw.

Eagles were missing three regulars and were probably glad of a point. It was their second scoreless draw at home and they drop to sixth on the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder.

The first half was even with only a chance or two falling to both sides.

Amadu Koroma probably had the best chance for the Knights when he ran onto a ball flicked on by Alex Holmes, but he was unable to score.

Eagles’ Adam McKeown was also off target for the home side, which defended resolutely. Jamie Vernon, playing in the unusual position of central defender, where he was marking Koroma, played like a veteran and did a mountain of work for his side.

Jade Clay was his usual busy self for the Knights and his speed and ability to send over telling crosses was a bonus for the visitors.

The first half was just about to end when a melee erupted in the Knights’ goalmouth, following a somewhat over-vigorous lunge for the ball by the Knights’ Koroma as Eagles’ keeper Nathan Pitchford fielded the ball.

Koroma ended up sliding through Pitchford’s legs and Pitchford retaliated by making physical contact with the Knights player and appearing to hold him down. Players from both sides milled about and shaped up to each other before referee Craig Phillips restored order.

Phillips then consulted his assistant and issued yellow cards to Koroma and Pitchford.

In the second half, Knights’ keeper Ben Peter produced a couple of fine saves to keep out McKeown, while at the other end, Knights seemed to be way off target with their shooting.

Knights’ Corey Smith was shown the yellow card when he and Pitchford went for a high ball and Smith got under the airborne keeper and caused him to come to earth awkwardly. Pitchford appeared injured as he seemed to fall on his back, but he was able to continue.

The Eagles’ goal then led a charmed life as Mynonge Kamba and Koroma both headed against the crossbar within seconds of each other, but the ball was cleared.

A minute into stoppage time, Smith was shown a second yellow card, followed by a red, when he committed a professional foul on substitute Josh Quan, who was racing through midfield and on his way to goal.

It was Smith’s second dismissal of the league season and made for a dismal day for the Knights, whose coach, Eamonn Kelly, had resigned on the morning of the match.

Smith came into the referee’s rooms after the game and there was a brief and cordial conversation between him and Mr Phillips and they agreed to disagree about the second yellow card.


· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“They could have won the game. They had their chances when they hit the crossbar twice in one movement there.

“We had a couple of new players playing in new positions, but I think the man-of-the-match was actually Jamie Vernon. I thought Ben [Whitehall] did very well, too.

“The boys did very well. We changed a few positions, but we didn’t change our formation. We just played a couple of players where the usual players were missing and I take my hat off to them. They did very, very well.

“I’d just like to say congratulations to the Knights. They did well, too, and I hope they get on with it now.”

· Glenorchy Knights coach, Nick Harrison, said:

“Over the 90 minutes, a draw was a fair result. Neither team deserved to snatch it.

“But again, we’re leaving here talking about the official’s book again. I’d better be quiet about that subject.

“A bit disappointed. We needed to bounce back after last week’s draw against Clarence to put pressure on South Hobart, but I think a draw was a fair result overall.”