Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 61 guests and no members online

Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy (KGV Park, Saturday, 15 May 2010)


Glenorchy Knights 1 (A Koroma 61)

Burnie United 2 (C Smith 65, A Johnson 67)

HT: 0-0 Att: 100 Ref: S Collins

Glenorchy Knights: Peter - Green (Marsh 70), Holmes, Grundy, J Huigsloot - Roberts (Barabara 75), Dzelalija, Kamba, Clay - Koroma, Hope (Nowicki 85) [Substitute not used: Grainger] [Coach: Nick Harrison]

Burnie United: Bradley - Wolfert, Scolyer, Van Ek, Phillips-Crole - Knight, Wright, A Smith, A Johnson - C Smith (K Johnson 80), S Cocks [Substitutes not used: Agar, T Johnstone, Arnol] [Player-Coach: Sam Cocks]


Burnie United came to KGV Park meaning business. In the opening stages, they looked very dangerous and were shooting on sight. It was only that they were slightly off target or that their shots were blocked that prevented them taking an early lead as Sam Cocks, Chris Smith, Astyn Johnson and Andrew Knights blazed away against a desperate Glenorchy Knights side that was on the back foot and badly missing the absent Josh Fielding.

Burnie missed some glorious chances. In the 17th minute, for example, Chris Smith put Astyn Johnson away on the right and his cross found Cocks, who squared the ball to Wright, but his shot was blocked by Grundy when a goal appeared certain.

Knights gradually regained their composure and began to build up attacks of their own. In the 20th minute, the hard-working Jade Clay sent over a dangerous cross from the left that almost sneaked in under the bar but was just turned out for a corner.

Five minutes later, Burnie keeper Ryan Bradley required two attempts before he got the ball under control after another Clay shot.

Will Roberts went close for Knights in the 26th minute, his effort going just wide of the angle of crossbar and post.

The best chance so far then fell to James Hope. In the 28th minute, Brodie Green picked out the Knights striker with a deep cross from the right, but the unmarked Hope sent a tame header straight at the keeper from close range. It was to prove a costly miss.

Hope was at fault again on the half-hour when he did well to round the advancing Burnie keeper, only to direct his shot into the side-netting.

A minute later, Mynonge Kamba did well to get to the edge of the box and slip the ball through to Amadu Koroma. Koroma was bundled off the ball and when it came back to Kamba, he shot narrowly over the crossbar.

Two minutes before the interval, Hope’s low drive was turned against the post by Bradley and the ball was cleared.

In the 45th minute, Chris Smith was guilty of a glaring miss for the visitors. Cocks delivered a perfect cross from the right to his unmarked team-mate, who missed a simple header.

In stoppage time at the end of the first half, Burnie created a beautiful attacking move when Cocks again put Astyn Johnson away on the right. He crossed to Chris Smith in the middle, but with only the goalkeeper to beat, Smith fired straight at him from point-blank range.

Ten minutes after the resumption, Kamba went on a great circular run outside the box and played a neat one-two with Jacob Huigsloot, but on receiving the ball back, he fired tamely at the keeper from 12 metres.

Koroma finally broke the ice and put the Knights ahead in the 61st minute from Clay’s left-wing cross, finishing neatly from inside the box.

But, it took Burnie just four minutes to draw level. Brodie Knights put Chris Smith through the middle as the home side looked in vain for an off-side flag and the Burnie marksman easily beat Ben Peter to make it 1-1.

Two minutes later, Chris Smith fed Astyn Johnson through the middle. Anthony Grundy was unable to intercept, but Alex Holmes managed to force the striker to run wide to the left. But, it was a false sense of security and Johnson fired home from an acute angle, past a complacent Holmes and inside Peter’s near post, for the winner.

Burnie almost had a third when they won a corner 16 minute from the end. Peter could only punch the ball wide, where it fell to Cocks, who powered a great volley against the crossbar.

Knights were almost served an equaliser on a platter in the 78th minute when a poor free-kick by Burnie’s Sam Phillips-Crole gave possession to Koroma just outside the penalty area, but he missed the target and the chance went begging.

Burnie clung to their lead and it was the end of the road for the Knights in this competition, which is named in honour of one of their late and great strikers.

This game emphasised the attraction of a State League. It was wonderful to see a different team, new faces, and skilled players from the other end of Tasmania.


· Glenorchy Knights coach, Nick Harrison, said:

“We were very disappointed after the last week or so we’ve had at the club. We needed to bounce back with a win today.

“Defensively, we just weren’t right today, I suppose. But, we had chances to win it. Nil-nil at half-time, but we could have been in front.

“They had chances, but very disappointed to be honest because it was a game we could have won. I think that’s what the lads know. So now, we’ve got to pick them up, sort them out and get ready for our game next week.

· Burnie United player-coach, Sam Cocks, said:

“After our last four weeks’ performances on the North-West Coast, to come down here after four-and-a-half hours’ travel, the result is brilliant.

“We had all of our midfield out, so we knew we were coming down for a battle.

“We reacted very well, despite going down one-nil. The Knights put up a good battle. They had home-ground advantage and they put us under pressure many times, but our boys got stuck in and played our game style and came away with a win.”

Tilford Zebras, South Hobart, Tasmanian Institute of Sport, New Town Eagles and holders Clarence United will represent southern Tasmania in the quarterfinals of the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy state-wide competition after Saturday’s round-of-16 stage of the competition.

Devonport City, Burnie United and Riverside Olympia are the three northern Tasmanian sides through to the quarterfinals.

A hat-trick by Ben Crosswell - his third for the season - helped Zebras down north-west coast outfit Ulverstone 5-1 at KGV Park.

Crosswell and Ricky Self missed easy chances from close range in the opening half, while Ulverstone’s Brayden Mann went close with a volley after breaking through the Zebras rearguard.

Self then had a header blocked by goalkeeper Chris Smith, while a Henry Fagg header was headed off the line by Ulverstone’s William Cox-Haines.

Crosswell put Zebras in front on the stroke of half-time, but Mann headed the equaliser within a minute of the resumption.

Crosswell restored Zebras’ lead in the 58th minute following a corner by Jayden Welch, while Dwayne Walsh added the southerners’ third after a delightful move involving a long clearance out of defence by Kurt Engels and a headed flick-on by Crosswell.

Welch’s pass set up Matt Hall to make it 4-1 in the 78th minute, while Crosswell completed his hat-trick in the final minute when he rose into the air to volley home Adam Young’s right-wing cross.

Glenorchy Knights and Burnie United were both guilty of glaring misses in their encounter and the amazing thing was that the sides were level at 0-0 at the break.

Andrew Wright, Sam Cocks and Chris Smith missed simple chances for Burnie, while Knights were let down by misses from James Hope, on three occasions, Will Roberts and Mynonge Kamba.

Amadu Koroma finally broke the deadlock for Knights in the 61st minute following Jade Clay’s low cross from the left.

Burnie were level within four minutes, however, when Smith collected Brodie Knights’s pass and placed a low shot past the unprotected keeper, Ben Peter.

Two minutes later, Astyn Johnson netted the winner for the northerners when he ran on to Smith’s pass and, despite being forced wide by Alex Holmes, slotted his shot inside the near post.

Southern Premier League side New Town Eagles easily overcame second-tier opponents Nelson Eastern Suburbs 3-0 at home at Clare Street through two goals by Adam McKeown and one by Alex Leszczynski.

Southern reigning league champions South Hobart were held to a goalless opening half by reigning northern league champions Northern Rangers, but second-half strikes by Tom Roach and Andy Brennan gave South Hobart a comfortable 2-0 win.

The Tasmanian Institute of Sport needed extra-time before downing Somerset 2-1 away at Cardigan Street, their goals coming from 13-year-old Jesse Curran and Hugh Foley.

Cup-holders Clarence United, a southern outfit, overcame Prospect Knights 2-1 away in Launceston at Harley Parade, while southerners Taroona lost 3-2 in extra-time to northerners Riverside Olympic at Windsor Park.

At Lightwood Park, southerners Kingborough Lions United sank without trace, losing 5-0 to north-west coast visitors Devonport City.

Kurt Howard hit a hat-trick and the other goals came from Chris McKenna and Scott Wilson.

Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy

Tilford Zebras 5 (B Crosswell 45, 58, 90, D Walsh 76, M Hall 78) b Ulverstone 1 (B Mann 46)

Glenorchy Knights 1 (A Koroma 61) lost to Burnie United 2 (C Smith 65, A Johnson 67)

Northern Rangers 0-2 South Hobart (T Roach, A Brennan)

New Town Eagles 3 (A McKeown 2, A Leszczynski) b Nelson Eastern Suburbs 0

Somerset 1-2 TIS (J Curran, H Foley) after extra-time (1-1 after 90 min)

Riverside Olympic 3-2 Taroona (M Atkinson, J Elliott) after extra time.

Kingborough Lions United 0-5 Devonport City

Prospect Knights 1-2 Clarence United


Launceston City 1-3 South Hobart Reserves (Lee, King, Paske)

The first-round proper of the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy state-wide competition on Saturday has thrown up some intriguing pairings.

Tilford Zebras, for example, are at home to Ulverstone at KGV Park in the second fixture of a double-header which kicks off at 4pm.

These sides last met in 2001, but back in 1982, they played each other in the final of the State-wide Cup.

They drew 1-1 in Hobart after extra-time, but because there was no such thing as a penalty shoot-out in those days, the governing body decreed that the final should be replayed in Ulverstone.

Ulverstone, who were coached by Otto Klaus at the time, won that game 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out and became the State cup-holders.

Interestingly, one of Ulverstone’s players was former Hobart Juventus star, Ron De Felice, who had moved to the North-West Coast in his work. Ron is now a youth coach at Tilford Zebras.

Zebras should have their usual line-up, but will need to be at their best to eliminate the visitors.

Last weekend, they trailed Taroona 3-0 at half-time before coming back to level at 3-3 and then losing to a stoppage-time penalty.

They cannot afford to allow Ulverstone to take such a lead as they won’t be able to come back against this well-drilled outfit.

“We had a good come-from-behind win last week against Riverside Olympic,” said Ulverstone coach, Kim Rigby. “We were trailing 2-0 with about 15 minutes to go and came out 3-2 winners, with a hat-trick from Brayden Mann and great contributions from all the other players.

“From all reports, Tilford Zebras are travelling pretty well and sitting third on the southern ladder. We are also currently sitting third on the northern ladder, so we are looking forward to the challenge.

“From our current squad, we will be without our captain Adrian Beard for the next four games, including Saturday’s cup game, as he is heading to the mainland for a XPD Challenge event.

“I’m not totally sure who will replace him in our starting eleven, but it will come from Adrian Foote, Jason Singleton, Ben Hutchinson or Sam Wood. I won’t make a decision until after our final training session.

“With Adrian’s absence, age undisclosed, our eldest player will be Brian Tabrett at 23, with the rest of the squad’s players’ ages being between 16 and 23, so what we might lack in experience we should well and truly make up with youthful enthusiasm.”

The opening fixture of the double-header at KGV, kicking off at 2pm, is between Glenorchy Knights and Burnie United.

Knights are second on the southern ladder and Burnie are sixth on the northern ladder, which indicates the home side should move through to the quarterfinals.

Knights will be coached by Nick Harrison following the resignation of Eamonn Kelly.

Burnie have excellent goalscorers in Sam Cocks and Chris Smith and the sometimes brittle Knights defence will need to keep a close eye on this pair.

Knights had enough chances to beat New Town Eagles last week but drew 0-0, so they will need to take their chances this time out.

History favours the Knights. The clubs have met 15 times and Burnie has won only one of those encounters.

Reigning southern league champions South Hobart travel to Birch Avenue to take on reigning northern champions Northern Rangers.

These sides have met nine times in the past and the Rangers have yet to record a victory.

South have an 8-point lead at the top of the southern ladder and are racing away with the league title, while Rangers lie second in the north.

Home-ground advantage is unlikely to count for much and, with a full-strength side available, the southerners are favourites to win.

South coach Ken Morton is determined to win everything on offer this season in the club’s one hundredth year and he and his team should remain on course for that objective after Saturday.

Fourth-placed northern outfit Riverside Olympic entertain second-last southerners Taroona at Windsor Park in what should be a close cup-tie.

“I don’t know much about them because they are the only Launceston team we haven’t played in the last couple of years in the Steve Hudson Cup,” said Taroona coach, Ben Horgan. “But, from what I’ve been told, they’re doing pretty well in what is a strong Northern Premier League this year, so I expect it to be a tough game.

“We’ll have Garry Hamilton missing due to university commitments, but I expect Hugo Luttmer and Ben Schaap to be recovered from minor injury worries, so we should be fairly close to full strength.

“I’ll start Jordan Wright and Hamish Macgregor this week because they’ve spent a fair bit of time on the bench and need 90 minutes to stay fit and sharp because they’re both versatile players than can carry out a few different roles in our team and I’m sure they’ll be called upon to play an important part at some stage during the season.”

New Town Eagles, currently sixth in the Southern Premier League, host Division One side Nelson Eastern Suburbs at Clare Street. Nelson are third in Division One.

Eagles will be missing Mark Page, Ethan Menzie and Chris Wass through injury, but newcomer from New South Wales, Blayne Hudson, has been looking tops in training and may get a game.

“He’s a good provider of the ball and a fine utility player and I love his attitude,” said Eagles coach, George Krambousanos. “He’s looking good and may even start.

“Jacob Clamp will also be back in the side.

“Michael Roach has coached Nelson for a few years now and he’s constantly upgrading his qualifications and so he knows what the game is about and we won’t be complacent.

“We’ll just pick our best 15 players and anything can happen.”

Nelson will miss Craig Stockdale because of a hamstring injury, but striker Tom Gordon is back from holidays and may come straight into the team.

Other than that, the team will be the same as the one which succumbed 4-0 to Beachside last weekend, with the talented 17-year-olds Pat Lenck in midfield, Ryan Mills in attack and Will Stalker in defence.

Rhys Endall and Nick Roberts will be on the bench after withdrawing from last week’s squad because of minor injuries.

“We are expecting a tough, physical match against Eagles, but we have confidence in our young squad,” said Nelson coach, Michael Roach.

“We fell away in the second half against Beachside last week for our first loss of the season, but this week we are flying the flag for Division One and the players are up and ready to show what they can do.

“There are some connections with Eagles, with goalkeeper Tom Clamp playing against his brother Jacob in the Eagles line-up, while coach George Krambousanos has had previous involvement with Nelson coaching the Premier women’s team.”

The Nelson squad is: Tom Clamp, Bill Hanley, Will Stalker, Cameron Rush, Matt Fone, Adam Mills, Pat Lenck, Cody Flynn, Ryan Mills, Andrew Gaskell, Tom Gordon, Nick Roberts, Troy Hoppitt, Rhys Endall, Richard Flood.

Kingborough Lions United entertain Devonport City at Lightwood Park and the visitors are quite capable of winning as they are top of the Northern Premier League while the Lions are fourth in the south.

Chris McKenna is the leading marksman in the northern competition and he will keep the Lions defenders on their toes.

“We’re hoping to be able to field the same squad as against South Hobart last weekend,” said Kingborough Lions United coach, Geoff Freeman.

“Marcello Marchioli has a corked calf and may struggle to be fully fit, but other than that, we have no concerns.

“Devonport are a strong side with a few very talented players, with McKenna being the biggest danger, and we will have to keep them quiet if we are to progress to the next round.

“I have spoken to a few contacts in the north and expect a tough and physical game.”

These two sides have met three times in the past and Devonport have recorded a hat-trick of wins.

Somerset, seventh in the Northern Premier League, come up against the Tasmanian Institute of Sport at Cardigan Street and the home side cannot afford to take the talented visitors lightly.

The TIS are playing exceptional football and they may well come home with a big scalp.

Prospect Knights, fifth in the north, welcome fifth-placed southerners Clarence United, the holders of the trophy, to Harley Parade.

They have met each other only once and that was in 2001, when Clarence won.

Meanwhile, Clarence look like losing promising youngster Alex Nandan to Olympia Warriors. Nandan has not played senior football for some time now and was unlikely to have been included in the squad for this match.

There are eight Women’s State-wide Cup matches scheduled for Sunday.

Northern Rangers travel to Montello to take on Burnie United at 12.30pm, while all the other games kick off at 2pm.

Ulverstone host University at the Ulverstone Showground, Devonport City entertain Metro at Valley Road, and Glenorchy Knights meet the Tasmanian Institute of Sport/FFT team at Prince of Wales Bay.

Nelson Eastern Suburbs take on Launceston City at North Warrane, New Town Eagles meet Somerset at Clare Street and Taroona play Clarence United at Kelvedon Park.

The remaining match is at Queens Walk, where Tilford Zebras clash with Beachside.

Nelson have rebuilt their team after a mass defection to Olympia two seasons ago and it will consist of 10 teenagers in the 15-member squad.

Madison Smith is an exciting young striker who scored all four goals last week in the win against Clarence.

Other players to watch are midfielders Maddy Boucher, Meg Beton and Hettie Adams.

Central defenders Stevie Triffitt and Kaitlyn Wright have been excellent all season, but will find it a tough assignment against the powerful and fast City strikers.

Experienced keeper Michelle Castle will captain the side.

The Nelson squad is: Michelle Castle, Michelle Gossage, Stevie Triffitt, Kaitlyn Wright, Bek Lay, Meg Beton, Kirby Lovell. Michaelea Plunkett, Hettie Adams, Madison Smith, Maddy Boucher, Chantelle Nowicki, Charlotte Adams, Liberty Cleal, Lauren Stephens.