Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 63 guests and no members online

Alistair Edwards was in Hobart tonight to outline a few concepts relating to the new Football Federation of Australia national curriculum and to demonstrate some coaching practices to local coaches.

Edwards is the FFA’s assistant technical director and works closely with national technical director Han Berger.

Fifty local coaches attended the presentation and coaching demonstration at KGV Park this evening.

Glenorchy Knights and New Town Eagles were the only Premier League clubs not represented.

The Tasmanian Institute of Sport squad was used by Edwards for his coaching demonstrations and he was assisted by TIS head coach Dean May.

Kurt Reynolds, the northern skills development officer, and Tasmanian coaching and development manager, Steve Paine, were also in attendance.

Reynolds was in the same Young Socceroo squad as Edwards which competed at the FIFA World Youth Cup in Chile in 1987. Reynolds, who is from Launceston, captained that Young Socceroo team.

Edwards toured Tasmania with Malaysian side Sarawak in 1997, the team playing four games in Tasmania overall.

Edwards played for Glasgow Rangers and Millwall in the UK, and with Perth Glory and Sydney Olympia.

Edwards demonstrated some warm-up practices, as well as some passing routines used by Louis Van Gaal, the Bayern Munich and former Barcelona coach.

He then demonstrated some training routines for coaching the concept of playing the ball out from the back.

It was a valuable evening and something which should happen often as it is of tremendous benefit to local coaches.

Inter Milan have won the Italian league title for the fifth season in a row after beating Siena 1-0 away this morning (Tasmanian time).

A 57th-minute goal by Diego Milito gave Inter their victory. Milito finished as the club's top scorer this season.

Roma finished second after beating Chievo 2-0 away.

Inter have now completed the league and cup double this season. It was their 18th Serie A title.

On Saturday, they will be aiming for a unique treble when they take on Bayern Munich in the European Champions League final in Madrid.

Bayern Munich also won the league and cup double in Germany this season. On Saturday they beat Werder Bremen 4-0 in the German cup final.

And, in England, Chelsea completed their first ever league and cup double when they downed Portsmouth 1-0 in the FA Cup final on Saturday through a goal by Didier Drogba.

Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy (KGV Park, Saturday, 15 May 2010)


Tilford Zebras 5 (B Crosswell 45, 58, 90, D Walsh 76, M Hall 78)

Ulverstone 1 (B Mann 46)

HT: 1-0 Att: 100 Ref: I Jozeljic

Tilford Zebras: Voss - Fagg, Telega, Muller, K Engels - Self, Ladic (Hall 30), Cairns (Young 82), Welch - Crosswell, Walsh [Substitutes not used: Cox, Fisher] [Coach: Romeo Frediani]

Ulverstone: C Smith - C Mann, D Baldock, Cox-Haines, Tabrett - Adam Beard, B Foote, Stone, A Foote (Singleton 57) - K Baldock (Wood 86), B Mann [Substitutes not used: Stephen, Groom] [Coach: Kim Rigby]


Tilford Zebras missed some incredible chances in the first half and might have led by at least 4-1 at half-time. But, they had to settled for a 1-0 lead at the break, Ben Crosswell having put them ahead on the stroke of half-time with a magnificent finish from the right-hand side of the box.

Crosswell had missed a sitter in only the second minute when he somehow lifted the ball over the bar from close range.

Ulverstone’s best chance of the first half came in the 7th minute when Brayden Mann raced through the Zebras defence but placed his shot wide.

In the 16th minute, Ricky Self got on the end of a left-wing cross from Jayden Welch but shot over the bar from just 6 metres. Solomon Kalou of Chelsea, had he seen it, would have known very well how that feels.

Three minutes later, Self had a header blocked by Ulverstone goalkeeper Chris Smith.

Ulverstone survived in the 23rd minute when a goal-bound header by Henry Fagg was headed off the line by William Cox-Haines.

Zebras’ Jonathon Ladic went off injured on the half-hour and was replaced by Matt Hall.

Dwayne Walsh missed a good opening in the 41st minute when he blasted the ball into the side-netting.

Crosswell’s goal in the dying seconds of the half was at least some reflection of the balance of the game at that stage.

The second half was barely 30 seconds old when Ulverstone drew level. Joel Stone crossed from the left and Mann nodded the ball past Jason Voss, who was standing in for the suspended Troy Kaden.

In the 57th minute, Walsh went on a good run down the left and shot from the goal-line, but keeper Smith palmed the ball on and wide of the far post.

A minute later, it was 2-1 for Zebras as Crosswell controlled Welch’s corner from the left and hammered the ball into the roof of the net from the right-hand corner of the box.

Zebras’ third goal in the 76th minute was beautifully created and finished. Kurt Engels, under considerable pressure, fought to win the ball deep in his own half and, having won it, punted it up-field. Crosswell rose and flicked it into the path of Walsh with his head and the striker raced clear of the Ulverstone defence and fired home.

Two minutes later, it was 4-1 as Welch passed to substitute Hall on the right and he advanced on goal and finished clinically.

In the 79th minute, Walsh hit a shot narrowly wide, while a minute later keeper Chris Smith did well to foil Hall.

With two minutes remaining, Walsh broke through the visitors’ defence, but his shot flew wide of the far right-hand post.

It was all Zebras now and Crosswell completed his hat-trick - his third of the season - in the final minute when he volleyed home in style substitute Adam Young’s right-wing cross.


· Tilford Zebras coach, Romeo Frediani, said:

“I was happy with the way we played. It was nice to get a win, especially after the last two weeks.

“I thought we played well. We knocked it about and split open their defence. We relied on our speed, which we should do anyway.

“The boys were patient in knocking it around and we scored a few nice goals. I was definitely happy with that.”

· Tilford Zebras midfielder, Ricky Self, said:

“In the first half, we were creating chances but not putting them away.

“In the second half, we really opened up and created more chances and then finished them off.

“They’re a pretty good side and pretty young and athletic, but we had the better of them, especially in the second half.

“I have no preference really in regard to meeting teams in the next round. We’ll take on anyone, but South Hobart would be nice.”

· Ulverstone coach, Kim Rigby, said:

“We played a good side. To give them their due, they were a lot quicker than us and lot more skilful than us.

“I suppose our fitness let us down a bit. We’re only a young side with most players 20 and 23 or so and immaturity caught us out a bit.

“But, we’re learning. We had some good patches and scored a nice goal after half-time and got back into the game. But, from there, they put it up a notch or two and we couldn’t respond.

“Great credit to them. They played really well.”

Women’s State-wide Cup

Taroona 4-1 Clarence United

Northern Rangers 3-0 Burnie United

Ulverstone Red 1-0 University

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 1-10 Launceston City

Devonport City 6-0 Metro

Glenorchy Knights 1-8 TIS/FFT

New Town Eagles 0-5 Somerset

Tilford Zebras 3-2 Beachside