Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 96 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Premier League Reserves (KGV Park, Wednesday, 26 May 2010)


Tasmanian Institute of Sport 0

Clarence United 2 (A Barron 45, D Kunwar 75)

HT: 0-1 Att: 30 Ref: S Collins

Tasmanian Institute of Sport: Prendergast - Luttmer, Hill, Abbott, Mearns (Kenyi 33) - D Foley, de Smit, Hamilton - Green (Devine 55), Curran (Ince 55), H Foley [Coach: D May]

Clarence United: Sweetten: - A McIntyre, N Mayne, Ling, Lush - Toghill, Rees, Hardwick, Kunwar (Darby 85) - Tsakiris (Randall 89), Barron (Reibel 79) [Substitute not used: Maxwell] [Coach: A Jablonski]


The TIS might have taken an early lead against Clarence United when, after 6 minutes, Jamie de Smit had a kind run of the ball in beating an opponent and raced to the edge of the box, where he brought Sam Hamilton into play with a clever ball.

Hamilton cut inside from the left and managed a shot, but Clarence keeper Sam Sweetten saved with his legs. The ball rebounded to Nicholas Green on the right, but he shot wide.

A superb low drive by Emmanuel Tsakiris in the 14th minute brought a wonderful save from TIS goalkeeper Tristan Prendergast, who dived and turned the ball wide for a corner.

The TIS hit back three minutes later when fullback Eli Luttmer rattled the Clarence crossbar with a magnificent shot from 35 metres.

Clarence’s Andy Barron was shown the only yellow card of the match in the 26th minute after a robust tackle on de Smit.

Clarence almost hit the front in the 32nd minute when Dipendra Kunwar squeezed into the box on the right and sent over a dangerous cross, but Luttmer conceded a corner by heading over his own bar.

A minute later, TIS were forced to substitute Nicholas Mearns, who jarred his leg in a tackle. He was replaced by Francis Kenyi, who was also limping by the end of the match after being given a ‘hospital’ pass by a team-mate and enduring a fair but crunching tackle.

In the 34th minute, the skilful Nathan Rees came close to breaking the deadlock for Clarence. A corner that he took from the left was headed back to him and, after creating a better angle for himself, he powered a great shot across the face of goal and just beyond the angle of crossbar and far post.

Prendergast was at his best again in the 35th minute when he just managed to reach a Barron shot and concede a corner. The corner, taken from the left, was directed at the near post and was met by Toby Ling, but his close-range and powerful header flew wide.

Clarence took the lead on the stroke of half-time. Mattias Toghill, playing in midfield rather than in his more customary right-fullback role in the senior side, crashed a stupendous shot against the crossbar and, when the ball rebounded to Barron, the youngster kept his composure and smashed it into the net.

The TIS brought on Maxim Devine and James Ince in place of Green and Jesse Curran in the 55th minute, but the side was unable to gain the upper hand.

Barron had a good chance in the 74th minute, but Prendergast saved with his feet.

A minute later and it was 2-0 as Kunwar netted from the edge of the box.

With 6 minutes remaining, a powerful shot from de Smit had Sam Sweetten reeling, but he managed to block the ball, which rebounded to Kenyi, who struck it wide.

Clarence made two late substitutions in order to bring on some fresh legs against a resolute TIS side that is very fit and which fought to the end but was unable to find even a consolation goal.



Shots 11

Shots on Target 4

Corners 2

Fouls 5

Off-Sides 2

Yellow cards 0

Red Cards 0


Shots 20

Shots on Target 11

Corners 7

Fouls 6

Off-Sides 3

Yellow Cards 1

Red Cards 0

A goal by Brett Holman 3 minutes and 20 seconds into a supposed 3-minute stoppage time at the end of the match gave Australia a somewhat fortunate 2-1 win over New Zealand before just over 55,000 fans at the MCG this evening.

Chris Killen gave the Kiwis the lead in the 16th minute when he fired in at the far post and it was not until the 57th minute that Dario Vidisic equalised after a fortunate deflection off Killen had put the Australian in possession on the right.

Australia were poor in the first half and New Zealand could have had a second goal, but Killen’s shot hit the post.

Australia’s only chance of the first half came when Scott McDonald collected a cross from David Carney, but his shot from an acute angle on the right was parried by the keeper and, when the ball came back to McDonald, he was way off target.

Three Australians - Mark Milligan, Vince Grella and Tim Cahill - were booked in the first half for atrocious tackles which probably would have earned red cards for Grella and Cahill in any other match. Both tackles were on Leo Bertos.

Cahill’s tackle on Bertos saw the New Zealander carried off on a stretcher.

In a post-match interview, even Australian coach Pim Verbeek condemned the tackles.

Verbeek said his side was rusty in the first half but improved in the second.

Australia switched to a 4-4-2 system in the second half and probably had the better of the exchanges, with Milligan also shooting just wide three minutes before the equaliser.

Verbeek will announce his 23-man World Cup squad at 3pm tomorrow.

Australian captain Lucas Neill said there was still plenty to work on.

Australia will play friendlies against Denmark and the United States of America before the opening World Cup match against Germany on 14 June.


The draw for the quarterfinals of the Milan Lakoseljec Memorial Trophy state-wide competition was made at South Hobart on Sunday.

The draw is:

Tilford Zebras v South Hobart

Burnie United v Tasmanian Institute of Sport

New Town Eagles v Riverside Olympic

Devonport City v Clarence United

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Clare Street, Saturday, 22 May 2010)


New Town Eagles 1 (A McKeown 12)

Olympia Warriors 1 (K Grillas 46)

HT: 1-0 Att: 70 Ref: K Barker

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Clark, Louden, Clamp, Anderson - Whitehall, Hudson (Quan 65), Kent (Fennell 76), Vernon (Menzie 61) - Leszczynski, McKeown [Substitute not used: Minty] [Coach: George Krambousanos]

Olympia Warriors: Nester - Mohamad, Richardson, Hedge, Wakefield - Phillips (Lebski 76), Mason, Tracy, Nandan - Cronk (Percy 54), Grillas [Substitutes not used: McCallum, Tsimiklis] [Coach: Chris Hey]


Olympia Warriors got their third point of the season with this 1-1 draw away to New Town Eagles, but they should have taken all three points.

They hit the woodwork three times and Adam Hedge should have scored when presented with an open goal in the second half.

Fletcher Tracy also had a good chance from inside the box, but he chose to pass rather than shoot.

Olympia were fortunate to equalise before a minute had elapsed at the start of the second half. An error by Eagles’ captain and goalkeeper Nathan Pitchford allowed Kosta Grillas to nip in and equalise. But, full credit to the Olympia striker as it was his alertness that gave him the goal after Pitchford had inexplicably fumbled Brady Cronk's shot.

Adam McKeown, almost inevitably, netted for Eagles. In the 12th minute, he collected the ball from Alex Leszcznski’s cut-back from the left and volleyed past Dmitri Nester from the edge of the box. It made him the equal leading scorer in the league with 9 goals.

For Olympia, new signing from Clarence United, Alex Nandan, struck the post in the first half, while substitute Aaron Percy hit the bar late in the match. Lee Mason also hit the underside of the bar, but the ball bounced back into play and was cleared by Andrew Clark.

Leszczynski thought he had a goal late in the match when he hit the rebound at goal after Nester had turned a McKeown header against a post, but Nester got to it and deflected it onto team-mate Mason and then out of play. Nester was adamant that the ball had not crossed the line, while the Eagles players claimed it had. It is the officials who ultimately determine such things and they said play on.

Eagles remain sixth, while Olympia prop up the rest of the teams from the bottom rung of the ladder.


· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“I think we could have lost the game today, but I don’t think many people realise that that last shot by Alex [Leszczynski] was a goal. It was about three feet over the line. That’s what all the players said.

“Anyway, that’s bad luck and we’ll carry that.

“They had their chances. They had more chances than we did actually.

“We scored a beautiful goal. But, we’ve still got three players to come into the team and, at the moment, I think our defence was a little bit shaky, and also our forward line didn’t do much and our midfield was a little bit slow.

“We’ve got a bit of homework to do again. I’m disappointed.

“Congratulations to Olympia. I hope they can do a little bit more than that against other opponents.

“I’m a little bit sad.”

· Olympia Warriors coach, Chris Hey, said:

“It was a fantastic effort. They [Olympia] played well and dominated today.

“They [Olympia] deserved a better result than they got. They trained well this week.

“There were two hard nights of training and the balance was there.

“At half-time we made a few adjustments and it seemed to work. The two young fellows out wide, Ben Phillips and Alex Nandan, who was playing his first game for the club, were superb today.

“It was another point. We’ve got three now. There were a lot of positives out there today, so it was a fantastic effort.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (South Hobart, Sunday, 23 May 2010)


South Hobart 7 (A Brennan 32, 61, 64, 68, 83, J Lo 73, 86)

Glenorchy Knights 1 (J Hope 80)

HT: 1-0 Att: 450 Ref: C Phillips

South Hobart: Kruijver - Pennicott, D Brown, M Brown, Scott - Lo, Roach, Beecroft, Hickey (Heerey 82) - Brennan (Ludford 86), Kanakaris (Downes 74) [Substitute not used: Moncur] [Coach: Ken Morton]

Glenorchy Knights: Peter - Millington, Grundy (Barabara 58), Holmes, Green - Clay, Fielding, Dzelalija, Kamba, Marsh (Hope 65) - Koroma [Substitutes not used: Grainger] [Coach: Nick Harrison]


Glenorchy Knights may have won the half-time foot race with Matthew Nowicki outpacing the rest of the field, but South Hobart won the game convincingly.

It was a grand day for the club and they celebrated their centenary in style. The large crowd was testimony to the work put in by the club committee and appropriate for the occasion and, together with the various food and beverage stalls, made for a festival atmosphere. The performance of Miss Rebecca Downes in singing the national anthem, despite a breakdown in the public address system, was a credit to her professionalism and abilities.

It was good to see some stars of yesteryear in attendance, including Australian Olympic football representative Alistair Rattray and former Rapid star Walter Nikolai.

Playing in the unfamiliar 1912 strip, South Hobart led 1-0 at half-time and then piled on six more goals in the second half.

Seventeen-year-old striker Andy Brennan netted five goals, three of them in the space of eight second-half minutes. The Year 11 student at The Friends’ School was in sensational form and has now scored seven goals in his three senior outings. Coach Ken Morton has solved his goalscoring problems in unearthing this gem.

The win set a new club record for South Hobart of 11 wins in a row. This beats the previous record of 10 wins in a row, which dates back to 1920, according to club statistician Keith Roberts.

The first quarter of the match saw both sides probing each other’s defences, but with hardly a shot fired in anger. The closest either side came to scoring came in the 22nd minute when South goalkeeper Sam Kruijver misjudged and mishandled a speculative lob by Jade Clay and just gained control of the ball before it could cross the line.

South gradually got on top, however, and a brilliant piece of skill by Shae Hickey in the 31st minute almost resulted in a goal. Hickey glided between Mynonge Kamba and Jade Clay on the left of the box and accelerated away, leaving both players in his wake. His dangerous cross-cum-shot was palmed wide of the goal by keeper Ben Peter for a corner.

A minute later, and the home side were in front. Tom Roach slipped the ball through for Jonathon Lo to shoot and, when Peter could only parry, Brennan was on hand to tap home.

Hickey almost added a second in the 34th minute when Peter could only punch a Kostas Kanakaris corner clear, but his volley flew narrowly wide.

South’s Daniel Brown had been cautioned in the 26th minute for dissent, but the Knights had Tony Dzelalija and Anthony Grundy booked just before half-time, the latter for blatantly catching the ball in full flight as the home side threatened to break through. Grundy was also fortunate when Mr Phillips and his assistants did not see him kick out at Hickey with his studs after the ball was gone.

A minute before the interval, Liam Scott floated a cross into the box from the left and Brennan’s diving header flashed centimetres wide of Peter’s right-hand post.

South continued where they left off in the second half and Lo failed when presented with a one-on-one with the keeper, while Brennan escaped the attentions of the Knights defence down the right flank but sent his shot across the face of goal.

Kamba volleyed straight at Kruijver following a corner by Clay in the 55th minute, but it was almost a token effort.

Surprisingly, Grundy was replaced by Juma Barabara in the 58th minute and that took the hard centre out of the Knights defence. Grundy was perplexed by the decision and it came back to haunt his side within three minutes.

In the 61st minute, Scott’s pass enabled Brennan to beat the off-side trap and advance through the middle. Dzelalija lacked the pace to keep up with the youngster, who easily beat Peter to make it 2-0.

Three minutes later, Scott again fed Brennan, who out-paced Lindsay Millington and completed his hat-trick.

Knights brought on James Hope in place of Jackson Marsh in the 65th minute, a move that eventually paid dividends later in the match.

In the 67th minute, Amadu Koroma, who had been playing as a lone striker for the Knights, finally shook his marker and even rounded Kruijver on the left, but his shot from an acute angle was headed off the line by Scott.

A minute later, South responded with their fourth goal when Roach slipped the ball through for Brennan to round Peter and slot the ball into an empty net. Peter appealed for off-side and was booked when he kicked the ball away in frustration before the game could be re-started.

Daniel Brown was then fortunate when he halted a Knights attack with a hand-ball just outside the box. Having been booked in the first half, he might well have been shown a second yellow card and then a red, but Mr Phillips merely awarded a free-kick to Knights, which was taken by Josh Fielding but directed straight at Kruijver.

Roach went on a solo run in the 70th minute and, ignoring the passing opportunities, chose to shoot, but his low drive went wide.

In the 73rd minute, Brennan turned provider as he attacked down the left and crossed the ball into the goalmouth. Alex Holmes seemed asleep and did not notice Lo on his blind side and the South Hobart player blasted an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net to make it 5-0.

Hope repaid his coach’s faith in him when he headed home a consolation goal for the Knights in the 80th minute from Barabara’s right-wing cross.

South again responded to the set-back when, three minutes later, Brennan found himself in a one-on-one with Peter and slipped the ball home for his fifth goal and his side’s sixth.

Four minutes from the end, Lo made it 7-1 when he fired against Peter’s let-hand post and then smashed home the rebound.

At the final whistle, South Hobart celebrated, while the Knights trooped off dejectedly.


· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“To go out and perform like we did on such an important day was unbelievable.

“The football was quality, the finishing from young Andy [Brennan] was different class, and Johnny Lo’s goals, six and seven, I think, and he put in a great volley as well. It was good football all round.

“Thanks to the Knights as well. They’ve made this a wonderful day. They’ve come out and supported the event and they’ve played for 90 minutes. They fought to the end, but I think we were in good form today and played well.”

· South Hobart striker, Andy Brennan, said:

“It was a good game. I love playing with the seniors and to get service like that makes it easy sometimes when everything comes your way.

“I would have been happy to score one. It was good to score five.

· Glenorchy Knights coach, Nick Harrison, said:

“For half an hour we competed with them. After that, to be honest, it was all South Hobart.

“Congratulations to South Hobart. I think that’s probably the league as well today for them and I’m sure they’ll have a good evening tonight.

“From our point of view, very disappointed. It was pretty close to being embarrassing in the end.

“But, we’ve got to look at ourselves and we’ve got to start again and we’ve got to bounce back for what is a very important game now against Kingborough.

“All congratulations to South Hobart. They were the better side.

“Again, officials we’re talking about, are we or not? I don’t know. I’ll probably get into trouble for saying that. But, again, there’s what, it’ll be interesting to see the game later on [on video], but three off-sides probably? But there you go. When your luck is out, the decisions go against you.

“But, we’ve let ourselves down and we’ll see what we can do.”