Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 56 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Kelvedon Park, Saturday, 20 March 2010)


Taroona 2 (T Dove 21, H Luttmer 70)

Tilford Zebras 3 (D Walsh 17, 25, 63)

HT: 1-2 Att: 120 Ref: I Jozeljic

Taroona: Nettlefold - Tubb, Schaap, Johnson (Darragh Carey 46), Wyatt - Duncan Carey (Macgregor 80), Atkinson, Wright, Dove - Luttmer, Hamilton [Substitutes not used: Hortle, Horgan] [Coach: Ben Horgan]

Tilford Zebras: Kaden - Fagg, Telega, D Cox, K Engels - Self, Hall, L Engels (D Lapolla 59), Welch - Walsh, Young [Substitute not used: Muller, Fisher, Voss] [Coach: Romeo Frediani]


Taroona won their opening league match at home last weekend against Olympia Warriors and they probably deserved at least a point from this encounter.

But, they went down 3-2 at home at Kelvedon Park to Tilford Zebras in a controversial match.

Zebras were without central defender Ryan Smith and midfielder Ben Crosswell. The latter left for London on Tuesday.

Zebras took the lead through Dwayne Walsh in the 17th minute, although he looked a mile off-side. Referee Ivan Jozeljic consulted his assistant, Adrian Lockley, who had his flag raised, but then allowed the goal to stand.

Toby Dove equalised for the home side in the 21st minute, tapping home the rebound after Zebras keeper Troy Kaden turned Duncan Carey’s shot against the crossbar.

Walsh restored Zebras’ lead in the 25th minute with an excellent header from Adam Young’s cross, while 10 minutes later, Walsh rattled the Taroona crossbar with a pile-driver from the edge of the box.

Garry Hamilton missed a sitter for Taroona, while team-mate Hugo Luttmer was denied a penalty before the break, but Zebras also squandered a couple of good openings in the first half.

Shortly after the resumption, Kaden did well to turn Duncan Carey’s shot over the bar as Taroona went in search of an equaliser.

But, Walsh took advantage of a ball that bounced over the advancing goalkeeper, Richard Nettlefold, to ram home the Zebras’ third goal and complete his hat-trick in the 63rd minute.

Luttmer brought Taroona back into contention in the 70th minute when he collected Duncan Carey’s pass and gently lobbed the ball over Kaden, but the home side were unable to find an equaliser.


· Taroona coach, Ben Horgan, said:

“It was a frustrating match and we did enough to get a result.

“I just don’t know what we have to do to get a penalty.

“I guess people will all see it differently and so will the referee, but it’s frustrating.”

· Tilford Zebras coach, Romeo Frediani, said:

“It was a pretty scrappy game.

“We’ve still got a lot to work on, but I was happy with the result.

“It was a good hat-trick by Walsh. Any hat-trick is a good one.”

A-League Grand Final

Melbourne Victory 1-1 Sydney FC

[Sydney FC won penalty shoot-out 4-2]

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

Taroona 2 (T Dove 21, H Luttmer 70) lt Tilford Zebras 3 (D Walsh 17, 25, 63)

South Hobart 1 (R Hinkley 33 og) b Kingborough Lions United 0


Taroona 0 lt Tilford Zebras 3 (D Lapolla 2, J Thorpe)


Taroona 3 (T Loftus 2, T Young) b Tilford Zebras 1 (E Engels pen)

Division One Summer Cup Final

Hobart United 3 (A Guot, J Otto, J Letiko) b TIS 1

Women's Social Summer Cup Final

Kingborough Lions United 0-1 University

Men's Social Summer Cup Final

New Town Eagles White 4 (Leszczynski, Ketchell. Holliday, Bones) b Metro 0

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League, KGV Park, Friday, 19 March 2010


Glenorchy Knights 4 (J Sherman 16 pen, 23, 43, C Smith 45+1)

New Town Eagles 3 (A McKeown 26, A Leszczynski 45+4, C Wass 87)

HT: 4-2 Att: 200 Ref: K Barker

Glenorchy Knights: Tatnell - Garth (Robb 80), Grundy, Holmes, J Huigsloot - J Sherman, White, Fielding, Clay - Smith (Roberts 71), Koroma (Hope 34) [Coach: Eamonn Kelly]

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Clark, Wass, Louden, Page - Whitehall (Kent 68), Menzie, Anderson, Strang (Vernon 68) - Leszczynski, McKeown [Substitutes not used: Clamp, Iqtadar] [Coach: George Krambousanos]


Glenorchy Knights are certainly scoring plenty of goals.

The four they notched in this game made it nine goals in two outings.

They are clear leaders at the top of the ladder, but they have played a game more than their closest rivals.

James Sherman netted a hat-trick for them in what was his last game for the club before he heads overseas.

Goalkeeper Alex Tatnell hardly covered himself in glory and the three goals he conceded were certainly preventable.

Indeed, Eagles’ third goal was given as an own-goal by Tatnell by referee Kim Barker, although Eagles captain and 150-game man Chris Wass is claiming it.

Wass certainly had a memorable match in what was a significant personal milestone for him. He gave away a penalty, received a yellow card, put the Knights’ Amadu Koroma out of the game with a tackle, and scored a goal.

Danny White, who played very deep in midfield, had the first chance for the Knights when he volleyed over the bar from range in the 10th minute.

Ben Whitehall fired the first shot in anger for Eagles, placing his 12th-minute effort straight at Tatnell.

Knights took the lead in the 16th minute from a penalty, awarded for Wass’s foul on Koroma after a beautiful build-up by Knights involving a defence-splitting pass by Corey Smith and a neat lay-off by Jade Clay.

Sherman scored easily with his spot-kick, placed to Nathan Pitchford’s right.

It was 2-0 in the 23rd minute when Koroma beat Andrew Clark on the left and crossed to the far post, where Sherman’s downward header bounced over Pitchford and nestled in the far top corner of the net.

Eagles pulled a goal back in the 26th minute when Steve Louden played a long ball into the box from deep on the right. Tatnell was unprotected and slow off his line, enabling Adam McKeown to power a header home while unchallenged.

James Hope came on for the injured Koroma in the 34th minute and added more of an aerial threat to the Knights’ attack.

Knights made it 3-1 in the 43rd minute following a disappointing free-kick from the left by White, the ball cannoning off the wall. But, Eagles were slow to react and, when the ball rebounded to White, he floated a cross towards the penalty spot and Jacob Huigsloot headed it down for Sherman to ram home.

A minute into stoppage time at the end of the first half, Josh Fielding’s free-kick from the left was headed down by Hope and Smith hammered it past Pitchford to make it 4-1 for the Knights.

The scoring in the first half was not over yet, though. In the 4th minute of stoppage time, Tatnell allowed a long-range shot from McKeown to slip from his grasp and roll through his legs, presenting Alex Leszczynski with the easiest of tap-ins to put his side back in contention at 4-2.

Knights almost had a fifth four minutes after the resumption, but Michael Anderson cleared Hope’s shot off the line to concede a corner.

Eagles coach George Krambousanos replaced Whitehall and Simon Strang with Jamie Vernon and Shane Kent in the 68th minute. Strang showed his displeasure by ripping off his shirt as he strode to the change rooms.

Smith then received a yellow card for deliberate handball, prompting coach Eamonn Kelly to substitute him three minutes later with Will Roberts.

Josh Fielding missed an easy chance for Knights in the 83rd minute when he gained possession on the corner of the 6-yard box on the left, but he fired high and wide of the target.

A minute later, Tatnell did well to turn Leszczynski’s shot wide for a corner.

With three minutes remaining, a free-kick from the left by Kent was headed home by Wass to make it one goal the difference, but Knights hung on for the three points.


· Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“We certainly weren’t polished.

“You can never underestimate White Eagles.

“Their goals were from distance and they should not have been allowed to shoot from such range.

“It was good to see James Sherman get a hat-trick in his last game for us and it’ll be a big hole to fill.”

· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“We gave them a couple of easy goals and it’s hard to go in at half-time 4-2 down and come back.

“I was very pleased with the second half, but disappointed with the last 20 minutes of the first half.

“I felt we could have drawn the match but probably not pinched it.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Tasmanian Premier League

Glenorchy Knights 4 (J Sherman 16 pen, 23, 43, C Smith 45+1) b New Town Eagles 3 (A McKeown 26, A Leszczynski 45+4, C Wass 87)


Glenorchy Knights 8 (M Nowicki 2, J Barabara 2, T Sherman 2, C Paite, Y Fuentes) b New Town Eagles 0