Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 119 guests and no members online

The Tasmanian Institute of Sport beat Olympia Warriors 3-1 in their mid-week Reserve League match at KGV Park this evening.

Hugh Foley netted twice for the TIS, which dominated play and could have scored many more goals.

The third TIS goal came direct from a corner.

It was the first win for the TIS in these mid-week outings. They had previously been beaten 5-1 by South Hobart and drawn 2-2 with Tilford Zebras.

Olympia had Emmanuel Tsakiris back after injury had kept him out of the senior side last Sunday.

Kosta Grillas also played for Olympia, as did Chris Kumpulainen.

Grillas has returned to Tasmania this season after a year in Melbourne, while Kumpulainen has been in Europe for the past five years and was previously a senior player for Hobart Olympic.

Tim Kothris also made a comeback for Olympia and seems intent on resurrecting his career, while former senior midfielder Lee Mason also played.

Grillas was Olympia’s scorer. His goal made it 1-1 after the TIS had taken the lead.

TIS led 2-1 at the interval.

“They played really well and we were always second to the ball,” said Grillas.

“Our defence just wasn’t there and TIS thoroughly deserved their win.

Olympia coach, Dallas Joiner, said: “They’re a well-drilled team and have been training for the past twelve months.

“They outplayed us technically, but also physically.

“It was a disappointing result for us.”

Japanese side Kawasaki Frontale made mincemeat out of Melbourne Victory, beating the Australians 4-0 at a rain-lashed Todoroki Athletics Stadium in their Asian Champions League clash tonight.

The loss was effectively the end of the road in this year’s Asian Champions League for Melbourne.

Chong Tese, Kawaskai’s North Korean striker, opened the scoring for the home side after just three minutes with a clinical finish from close range and an acute angle, beating keeper Glen Moss at his near post.

Tese added the second when he back-headed home a free-kick from the right in the 11th minute.

Star of the match, Brazilian Renatinho, added the third with a fine strike in the 21st minute.

The first half ended with Tese being sent off after kicking out at an opponent.

Despite playing the second half with ten men, Kawasaki were never threatened by a Melbourne side missing striker Archie Thompson and defender and captain Kevin Muscat.

Thompson was left behind in Australia after suffering a serious knee injury in Saturday’s A-League grand final, while Muscat was kept on the bench and did not see action.

Hiroyuki Taniguchi added Kawasaki’s fourth in the final minute after a lightning counter-attack by the Japanese.

Melbourne’s Leigh Broxham was sent off in stoppage time after collecting a second yellow card.

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (South Hobart, Sunday, 21 March 2010)


Olympia Warriors 0

Clarence United 3 (B Hamlett 26, L Cripps 35 pen, L Huigsloot 62)

HT: 0-2 Att: 120 Ref: S Collins

Olympia Warriors: Nester - Hey, Wiggins, Powell, Percy (Lebski 42) - Richardson (Mason 83), Tracy, Phillips, Meredith - Grillas, Kunwar (M Hedge 56) [Substitutes not used: Farrugia] [Coach: Chris Hey]

Clarence United: Sweeney - Toghill, Cannamela, Parker, McMahon - S McIntyre, Stevens, L Huigsloot (Rees 87), Hunt - Cripps (Lewis 79), Hamlett [Substitutes not used: Malcolm, Sweetten] [Coach: Andrew Brown]


Clarence United earned their first points of the league season with this 3-0 away win over Olympia Warriors at South Hobart.

The season is just two rounds old, but Olympia are not looking confident and have yet to earn a point from two outings.

The home side rarely threatened the Clarence goal, with Ben Phillips’s two efforts and one by Dipendra Kunwar being the only ones of note.

In the first half, Phillips, the former Clarence youngster, shot just over the bar, while in the second half, he steered a chance just wide of an upright.

Clarence, on the other hand, might have scored more than three goals.

Ben Hamlett found himself in goal-scoring positions twice but was too slow to shoot, although he did score the opening goal.

Sam McIntyre forced Olympia goalkeeper Dmitri Nester to turn his shot over the bar in the 20th minute, while 6 minutes later, the visitors hit the front.

McIntyre released Luke Cripps down the right and he played the ball across the field to Hamlett, who skipped past Adam Powell and fired low inside Nester’s right-hand post to make it 1-0 for the Eastern Shore side.

Clarence increased their lead in the 35th minute when Fletcher Tracy brought down Mattias Toghill and Mr Collins awarded a penalty, which was converted by Cripps.

Chris Hunt, who had a tidy game, might have added a third just before the interval, but he fired over the bar.

Hamlett had two shots blocked in the 7-minute period before half-time as Olympia struggled at the back.

Sweeney was finally called into action four minutes after the resumption when he got down to turn Kunwar’s low shot aimed at the far post wide for a corner.

Nick Meredith had put Kunwar away on the right with a fine pass, but this was a rare sight for Olympia on this rainy afternoon.

Luke Huigsloot made it 3-0 with an easy goal in the 62nd minute. McIntyre took a free-kick from the right and Huigsloot drifted towards the ball without any defender following him and tucked the ball home from the right of the box.

McIntyre was unlucky in the 66th minute when his powerful half-volley came back into play off Nester’s left-hand post.

Hamlett was cautioned in the 74th minute when he clashed with Powell on the touchline, but Mr Collins had to consult both assistant referees before showing the Clarence player a yellow card.

The result leaves Olympia in last place and Clarence in sixth spot on the eight-team ladder.

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

Olympia Warriors 0 lt Clarence United 3 (B Hamlett 26, L Cripps 35 pen, L Huigsloot 62)


Olympia Warriors 2 (O Howell, C Kumpulainen) lt Clarence United 3 (A Hardwick, G Malcolm, L Marsh)


Olympia Warriors 0 lt Clarence United 2 (A Browning, J Undy)