Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 28 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (South Hobart, Saturday, 27 March 2010)


Olympia Warriors 2 (B Cronk 14, A Hedge 51)

New Town Eagles 2 (A McKeown 12, 26)

HT: 1-2 Att: 100 Ref: K Barker

Olympia Warriors: Nester - Hey, Lebski, A Hedge (McCallum 70), Wiggins - Richardson (E Tsakiris 37), Phillips, Tracy, Kumpulainen (Howell 82) - Grillas, Cronk [Substitute not used: R Kay] [Coach: Chris Hey]

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Clark, Clamp (Wass 59), Kent, Page - Whitehall, Menzie, Anderson, Strang [(Iqtadar 17) Pope 78] - McKeown, Leszczynski [Substitute not used: Minty] [Coach: George Krambousanos]


Both sides needed to win badly, but in the end, both will have been pleased to have broken the ice and collected their first point of the season.

It could have gone either way, but Eagles probably missed the best chances. Adam McKeown scored twice, but missed four gilt-edged chances, while Shane Kent missed an open goal after McKeown had beaten the goalkeeper and the ball rolled free.

But, Nathan Pitchford produced what will be one of the saves of the season. Olympia started the second half strongly and, in the 49th minute, substitute Emmanuel Tsakiris hit a superb shot from outside the box towards the far top right-hand corner of the net, only to see Pitchford launch himself into the air and produce a magnificent save, turning the ball wide for a corner.

Both teams were missing their regular twin central defenders and had to improvise at the back.

Eagles had the first chance, after just four minutes, but keeper Dmitri Nester somehow got his fingers to the ball and turned it wide for a corner.

In the 12th minute, Olympia failed to deal with a corner and, with the ball bobbling around in the box, McKeown tucked it home to give Eagles the lead.

Two minutes later, Olympia were level when Kosta Grillas played Brady Cronk through the middle. He rounded keeper Pitchford, but appeared to have lost control of the ball before recovering and squeezing it home.

In the 24th minute, McKeown broke through on the left of the box and rounded Nester, but from a difficult angle, he could only roll the ball at goal and defender Robert Lebski ushered it safely across the goalmouth before clearing.

Two minutes later, McKeown restored Eagles’ lead when he volleyed home Alex Leszczynski’s cross from the left.

Four minutes after the break, Pitchford produced his world-class save, but Olympia’s pressure told within two more minutes when Cronk’s shot took a slight deflection for a corner, taken by Ben Phillips.

Olympia centre-back Adam Hedge came up for the set-piece and powered a header past Pitchford to make it 2-2.

Chris Wass came on for Jacob Clamp on the hour and this released Shane Kent into midfield.

In the 69th minute, an error by Jayden Hey provided McKeown with a shooting chance, but he drove straight at Nester.

McKeown had two more chances soon after but was off target, while Kent had a shot blocked and the ball flew harmlessly across the goalmouth with everyone watching.

In the 74th minute, Eagles were awarded a free-kick just outside the left of the box. Leszczynski rolled the ball back to Kent and his shot from 25 metres hit the bar.

Seven minutes from the end, Leszczynski tried to chip the keeper from long range, but Nester caught the ball comfortably.

Phillips went close for Olympia in the 88th minute with a chip from the right that just went on the wrong side of the far left-hand post.

With a minute remaining, McKeown beat Nester at the edge of the box and the ball bobbled through to the unmarked Kent, who somehow stumbled and poked the ball wide of an open goal.


· Olympia Warriors coach, Chris Hey, said:

“Look, I think, given the way we’ve played in the last couple of weeks, a huge improvement.

“Today, we found our front players’ feet with ease, which is something we need to do.

“I think the combination up front with Kosta and Brady Cronk was excellent today.

“It’s the first game they’ve played together and I thought it was tremendous.

“I thought we penetrated reasonably well down the flanks in the first half.

“In the second half, I thought we got a bit scrappy. Probably ran out of a few legs, of a few ideas.

“Sometimes I think that, you know, I talk to the players about trying to turn defence into attack and, sometimes, I think maybe a couple at the back, a bit of inexperience, sometimes the ball’s just got to go.

“We turned the ball over a couple of times during the game in those instances, where we gave them a chance, but look, a 200 per cent improvement.

“I think we’re getting there. We’ve still got probably two or three players to come into the squad and I think, you know, we’ll start hitting our straps there.

“But, from all the guys, a fantastic performance for them. I thought they worked as a unit today and I don’t think we’ve been doing that, so I take my hat off to them. It’s a good effort.”

· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“Yeah, well, it was a different Olympia side to their first two games.

“The back line was a little bit more settled and with a bit more speed.

“Look, I think we should have won the game. We had our two centre-backs out. I mean, they’re six foot two, both lads and they win everything in the air.

“But, at the end of the day, we made a couple of changes. We locked up Kosta a little bit and the game was played like a tennis game, you know, from one end to the other.

“Good luck, and all the best for Chris and his lads and all the best for our lads.

“I think we’re just about getting it right, and we will get it right soon.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

Olympia Warriors 2 (B Cronk 14, A Hedge 51) dw New Town Eagles 2 (A McKeown 12, 26)

Taroona 2-2 Clarence United


Olympia Warriors 5 (M Hedge 2, D Kunwar, R McCallum, D Peppiatt) b New Town Eagles 2 (M Fennell, J Marshall)

Taroona 0-0 Clarence United


Taroona 2-0 Clarence United

Division One

Metro 0-3 Beachside (B Pullen, P Dunne, L Atkin)

FFT Under-15s 1-5 Hobart United

DOSA Northern Suburbs 2 (D Rokundo, D MacKinnon) dw Southern FC 2

University 1-1 Nelson Eastern Suburbs

Division One Reserves

Metro 1-1 Beachside

University 0-2 Nelson Eastern Suburbs

Division Two

Olympia Warriors 3 lt New Town Eagles 4 (R Leszczynski, A Shackcloth, P Shackcloth 2)

Division Three

New Town Eagles Red 1 (J Jones) b Clarence Black 0

Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League

Burnie United 13-0 Launceston United

Prospect Knights 1-7 Northern Rangers

Riverside Olympic 1-0 Launceston City

Somerset 1-2 Ulverstone

The Southern Division One competition kicks off this afternoon with a couple of new teams involved and all games kicking off at 2.30pm.

The State under-15s take on Hobart United at Showgrounds 2 and this will show the youngsters’ mettle as United are a formidable side coached by Mark Broadbent.

Southern FC is the other new outfit. They were formed by a merger between Christian United and Kingston Cannons and they come up against Northern Suburbs DOSA at Showgrounds 1.

DOSA appear to be struggling this year and this game will show whether Southern FC are the real thing.

The game of the round has to be the Metro versus Beachside encounter at North Chigwell.

Metro just missed out on promotion last season, while Beachside see themselves as title contenders.

Beachside welcome back Ben Davis and Brett Pullen, but they will be without the injured Bernhard Klasen.

“Generally, the Metro and Beachside games are closely contested, with not much separating the teams,” said Beachside coach, Nathan Robinson.

“I think this game will be no different.

“We will certainly miss the goalscoring ability of Bernhard Klasen, who injured his ankle against the TIS.”

Metro will have Ryan Thurley and Danny Cowen available after they missed Metro’s previous Summer Cup match.

“It’ll be a pretty tough game and Beachside must be the favourites,” said Metro coach, Matthew Rhodes.

“We’re in a rebuilding phase, but we’ll be competitive and we’ll be there.”

The remaining match pits University against Nelson Eastern Suburbs at Olinda Grove.

Nelson will make a few changes to their Summer Cup squad for the league match.

Defender Craig Stockdale is back, while under-19 captain Cody Flynn is included after he missed the entire Summer Cup campaign.

Stockdale had missed two Summer Cup matches.

Teenager Ryan Mills makes his debut, while new signing from Somerset, Matt Fone, also makes his senior debut.

“Young centre-back Will Stalker has retained his position and Ryan Mills’s speed is a good option in this match,” said Nelson coach, Michael Roach.

“He would have played against the TIS had he been available, and we have also got Rhys Endall, another one of our talented under-19s debuting here, probably as a second-half substitute.

“Troy Hoppitt, Antoine Valterio, Ollie Ireland and Max Caufield are back in the reserves for this match, but two of the four will be on the bench, while centre-back Cameron Rush is also out because of work commitments.

“We have lots of depth at the club this season and plenty of people challenging for spots, which is a good position to be in.

“The only concern is how quickly this team will gel now with a few new faces after getting into some decent form by the end of the cup.

“University are back from Premier League, so we’re expecting a strong physical challenge from them, but we also think we’ve got a team that can do some damage to them.”


Glenorchy Knights 0

South Hobart 3 (K Kanakaris 60, 74, Lo 77)

HT: 0-0 Att: 130 Ref: I Jozeljic

Glenorchy Knights: Tatnell - Green, Holmes, Grundy, J Huigsloot (Kamba 84) - White, Smith, Fielding, Clay - Koroma (Hope 67), Barabara (Garth 77) [Substitute not used: Grainger] [Coach: Eamonn Kelly]

South Hobart: Kruijver - Pennicott, D Brown, Ludford, Heerey - Lo (King 82), Roach, Beecroft, Ladic, Hickey (Abbott 56) - Kanakaris [Substitutes not used: Upton, M Brown] [Coach: Ken Morton]


South Hobart played some superb football in this replay of the Summer Cup final and the 3-0 win put Ken Morton’s side on top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder.

Two brilliant goals by Kostas Kanakaris and another by Jonathon Lo, all in the second half, did the trick.

South eclipsed Knights in midfield and created some fine attacking moves, while Knights were content to hit the ball anywhere. The Knights’ passing left a lot to be desired.

Kanakaris played like a man possessed. He was everywhere and the Knights found it impossible to keep track of him and his pace was a constant worry.

Tom Roach did a mountain of work in midfield and even in defence, while Jonathon Ladic, Bart Beecroft, Shae Hickey and Lo were creative in midfield.

At the heart of the defence, Daniel Brown was like a rock, while Josh Heerey and Jim Pennicott were reliable as the fullbacks and found plenty of opportunities to push forward. Hugh Ludford was never under pressure and must have had one of his easiest games.

The opening half was goalless, but three goals in the space of 17 minutes in the last half-hour were just reward for South’s tenacity and superiority.

Glenorchy Knights, who were without James Sherman, used Corey Smith in midfield and Amadu Koroma and Juma Barabara as the twin strikers.

The two front-runners were brave and fast and Barabara might have had two goals, but he directed a tame header towards goal in the first instance, and shot straight at goalkeeper Sam Kruijver on the second occasion.

Smith seemed out of position playing deep and resorted to long shots that were easily repelled before they could penetrate the defence.

Whereas South played possession football and passed the ball around well, Knights mostly resorted to the long ball, which was inaccurate most of the time and simply gave possession back to their opponents.

Kanakaris had two good chances in the opening six minutes, but failed to take advantage of poor defending by the Knights.

Koroma had the first chance for the Knights after 19 minutes following a rare mix-up at the back by South, but the alert Kruijver was able to thwart the speedy Knights striker.

Anthony Grundy came to the Knights’ rescue in the 22nd minute when Jim Pennicott put Kanakaris away down the right. Kanakaris rounded keeper Alex Tatnell, who had raced off his line, but his shot from an acute angle was cleared for a corner by the Knights’ central defender.

The corner was met by Daniel Brown, who looped a header onto the top of the crossbar, and as the ball came down, Grundy again saved the day for the Knights.

In the 27th minute, Shae Hickey sent over a cross from deep on the left which found Tom Roach, but his header was tame and was cleared by the Knights defence.

Kanakaris’s speed put him through on the right three minutes before the break, but instead of at least hitting the target, he blazed high and wide.

Seven minutes after the resumption, the Knights’ fans hearts were in their mouths as Tatnell lost the ball in the 6-yard box, but team-mate Alex Holmes came to the rescue and cleared the ball to safety before Kanakaris could pounce.

Knights should have taken the lead in the 58th minute after Daniel White’s excellent cross from the left found Barabara, but his header lacked power and Josh Heerey was able to clear comfortably.

Kanakaris broke the deadlock on the hour with an excellent goal. He dropped his shoulders first this way and then that and mesmerised three defenders before planting a low shot past Tatnell from 12 metres to give South the lead.

Ten minutes later, a free-kick by Josh Fielding was headed straight up in the air by Roach and, when the ball fell to Barabara, he fired straight at Kruijver.

Kanakaris made it 2-0 in the 74th minute with a goal that may rank as the goal of the season. He controlled a cross from the right by Jim Pennicott, flicked the ball up in the air and then executed a marvellous over-head kick that sent the ball crashing into the top left-hand corner of the net past a helpless Tatnell.

He rushed to the South bench to celebrate and was correctly cautioned by Mr Jozeljic for taking off his shirt, but who would deny him his joy?

Three minutes later, Jonathon Lo made it 3-0 when he side-footed home Pennicott’s low cross from the right.

South had more chances in the closing minutes as Roach blasted over the bar from Lo’s excellent cut-back from the left, and Kanakaris spurned a wonderful chance to complete his hat-trick when he fired over the bar from substitute Andy King’s neat pass from the right.


· Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“I thought it was a good game of football.

“We were in it up until half-time, you know, and it was nil-nil at half-time.

“We didn’t create a lot in the first half, not as much as what they created, but we held them well.

“I thought we competed for the ball just as good as them.

“First goal, a good goal. The second goal, a brilliant goal. You can’t take that away from him. That’s what football is all about.

“You take your luck, you take your chances and it was a brilliant goal. Nobody can counteract that.

“Overall, I was pretty pleased with the result. We played some good football, we kept shape, we kept our discipline right up until the last five minutes.

“I thought the referee lost control in the last five minutes, which I think spoiled the game.

“Were they three goals better than us? I don’t think so. They scored three goals and we didn’t.”

· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“Second half, I thought we were quite magnificent in attack, but in the first half, it was a slog and with Eamonn back they obviously had a little bit different shape, different system and people who were doing good jobs for them.

It was tough in the first half to get behind them, but in the second half, after the first goal from Kostas, things started to open up for us and we were able to get in behind them on the flanks and we got some good crosses in and maybe should have had another two or three goals and really finished them off.

“But, a good result for us today.

“They’re a good side and they were very difficult to beat.”