Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 38 guests and no members online

Melbourne Victory lost 2-0 to Seongnam Ilhwa Chunwa of South Korea in their Asian Champions League match at Eithad Stadium tonight.

Sasa Ognenovski put the Koreans in front in the 40th minute.

A free-kick from the right was headed against his own post by Melbourne’s Leigh Broxham and as the ball rebounded, goalkeeper Mitch Langerak could only palm it to the feet of Ognenovski, who fired it through a crowded six-yard box and into the net.

Five minutes from the end, Yun Young-Sun made it 2-0 for the visitors when he headed home a corner.

Melbourne were without captain Kevin Muscat, who was not fit enough to play two games in three days, while Archie Thompson only came on as a substitute.

A small crowd was in attendance and the pitch was a little like the old Domain No. 3 ground in Hobart in the 1960s - in other words, it was a disgrace.

Division One Summer Cup (Group A, North Chigwell, Sunday, 7 March 2010)


Nelson Eastern Suburbs 1 (T Gordon 46)

Tasmanian Institute of Sport 2 (H Foley 44, E Luttmer 57)

HT: 0-0 Att: 70 Ref: I Colhoun

Nelson: Clamp; Brighella, Hoppitt, Rush,, Mills, Caulfield, Hanley, Gaskell, Stalker, Ireland, Lenck [Interchange: Valterio, Gordon] [Coach: Michael Roach]

TIS: Prendergast; Luttmer, Hill, Abbott, McClung, D Foley, Walker, De Smit, H Foley, Hamilton, Francis [Interchange: Ince, Green, Curran, May] [Coach: Dean May]


The Tasmanian Institute of Sport ultimately triumphed in this Group A Summer Cup clash, but it was a close thing.

Nelson’s youngsters held their own for long periods of the match and their resolute defending was praiseworthy.

With five minutes remaining and the score at 1-1, a penalty shoot-out seemed inevitable.

TIS coach Dean May came on in place of injured goalkeeper Tristan Prendergast four minutes before the end in a sign that he also thought that spot-kicks would decide the issue.

Prendergast had a bad knee and May felt that the youngster would not have been able to launch himself at a penalty with that knee, which had an ice pack on it after the game.

As it turned out, no penalty shoot-out ensued. With just three minutes remaining, a cross from the right by TIS’s Nicholas Green came back off the crossbar and Eli Luttmer stabbed the ball home to give his side a 2-1 win.

It was a cruel blow for Nelson, who battled in the heat all game and probably deserved the lottery of a shoot-out in the end.

The first half had ended goalless, with Sam Hamilton and Jeremy Walker having a few half-chances for the TIS.

Then, midway through the second half, the game came alive as Will Abbott fed Hugh Foley and he fired past Thomas Clamp to put the TIS ahead.

Two minutes later, Nelson were level as Oliver Ireland headed the ball forward and Tom Gordon nodded it into goal.

Luttmer’s winner three minutes from the end was not the end of the action. Three minutes into stoppage time, Declan Foley was sent off by Mr Colhoun for swearing.


· Nelson coach, Michael Roach, said:

“I think they’re a very good side. They’re young but they’re a very good side and they deserved to win today.

“I think my fellows gave it everything but in terms of their first touch on the ball they were probably the second-best side today.

“We’ve got a bit to work on, but overall, whilst I thought we could have got something out of the game and could have won it - both sides made mistakes at the back - I can’t argue.

“I think they did enough to win and good luck next week against Beachside.”

Division One Summer Cup (Group A, North Chigwell, Sunday, 7 March 2010)


Metro 9 (Thurley 20, Dawes 24 pen, 30, 32, 40, Marney 27, 34 50 pen, Richardson 58)

Huon Valley 0

HT: 4-0 Att: 50 Ref: D Ambler

Metro: Grandin; Leek, Gasparin, Porter, Chaffey, Richardson, McQueen, Dawes, Morris, Thurley, Marney [Interchange: Brown, Moore, Land, Wicks] [Coach: Matthew Rhodes]

Huon Valley: Duncan, Barrett, Bohl, Cirvydas, Hall, Lovell, Martin, O’Toole, Palk, Rehfeldt, Wierzbicki [Interchange: Coburn]


Huon Valley tried as hard as they could, but they were never in the hunt against a young and fit Metro outfit.

The heat and the humid playing conditions did not help Huon Valley, and neither did the dismissal of Ian Martin 6 minutes before the interval.

Martin deliberately handled a cross and conceded a penalty, whereupon Mr Ambler showed him the red card, meaning that the Valley had to play more than half the match with just 10 players.

Jason Dawes tucked away the spot kick and Metro led 2-0, the skilful youngster Ryan Thurley having given them the lead in the 20th minute with a fine, low shot from 20 metres.

Aaron Marney added the third in the 27th minute, while Dawes grabbed his second of the game on the half-hour mark, sliding in to sweep the ball into the net.

Two minutes after the resumption, Dawes completed his hat-trick by netting Metro’s fifth goal, while Marney made it 6-0 two minutes later.

Ten minutes into the second period, Dawes took his personal tally to four goals as Huon Valley wilted in the sweltering conditions.

Dawes was fouled in the 50th minute for the second penalty of the match, which was converted by Marney to complete his hat-trick and take the score-line to 8-0.

A minute from the end, Joel Richardson found the net to complete the scoring, but Dawes went down injured as the game ended seconds later.

He was suffering from concussion and could not walk. Rather than move him from the ground - he had tried to stand up but was clearly unsteady on his feet - an ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital.

The win meant that Metro finished top of Group B and will meet Hobart United in the semi-finals of the Division One Summer Cup competition.

Melbourne Victory qualified for the A-League grand final this afternoon by drawing 2-2 away with minor premiers Sydney FC at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The result gave Melbourne a 4-3 win on aggregate over the two legs.

Sydney must now play Wellington Phoenix for the right to meet Melbourne in the grand final.

Phoenix had disposed of Newcastle Jets 3-1 in Wellington earlier this afternoon before a capacity crowd of 35,000.

Sydney almost took the lead against Melbourne after just two minutes following a corner from the right by Karol Kisel.

Alex Brosque headed the ball goalwards and Melbourne keeper Mitch Langerak turned it onto defender Tom Pondeljak standing on the goal-line and it then ricocheted against the crossbar and back into play.

The ball appeared to come off Pondeljak’s arms, but it was probably a case of Pondeljak being unable to avoid the ball rather than one of deliberate handball.

Having survived that early scare, Melbourne took the lead on the quarter-hour through a brilliant strike by Robbie Kruse.

Nick Ward passed the ball forward to Kruse, who controlled it and turned and floated a superb shot into the far top right-hand corner of the net from 25 metres with the Sydney defenders backing off Kruse and a flying Clint Bolton unable to reach the ball.

Sydney drew level from the penalty spot in the 34th minute. Adrian Leijer was adjudged to have brought down Alex Brosque and Kisel struck home the spot-kick to make it 1-1 at the interval.

Mark Bridge put Sydney in front in the 53rd minute after an attacking move down the right which ended with Bridge slipping past Grant Brebner and firing home.

With the aggregate score now 3-3, the match went into extra-time and several outstanding saves by Sydney keeper Clint Bolton seemed to make a penalty shoot-out almost certain.

But, Melbourne had other ideas and, when they were awarded a free-kick on the right in the 114th minute, Kevin Muscat took it quickly and fed substitute Archie Thompson, who nipped past the ragged Sydney defensive wall and beat Bolton with a quick strike to give Melbourne a 4-3 aggregate win.

The attendance was 23,818.