Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 107 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Wentworth Park Saturday, 5 June 2010)


Clarence United 5 (Cripps 3, 30, Hamlett 34, 64, 91)

New Town Eagles 2 (Clamp 43, Leszczynski 73)

HT: 3-1 Att: 90 Ref: C Phillips

Clarence United: Sweeney - Toghill, Lewis (Lewis 65), Parker, Lush - McIntyre, Malcolm (Hardwick 41)), Stevens, Hoppitt - Hamlett (Marsh 91), Cripps [Substitute not used: Maxwell] [Coach: Andrew Brown]

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Clark, Louden, Anderson, Clamp (Fennell 65) - Quan, Hudson, Strang, Whitehall - Leszczynski, McKeown [Substitutes not used: Atalay, Shackcloth, Minty] [Coach: George Krambousanos]


New Town Eagles are stuck in third-last place after this 5-2 away defeat to Clarence United at Wentworth Park on Saturday night.

Clarence are now fourth and closing rapidly on third-placed Glenorchy Knights.

Eagles were under pressure from the kick-off and it took only three minutes for Luke Cripps to put Clarence in front from a deflected free-kick.

The chances for Eagles were few and far between. One of the few came in the 27th minute when Alex Leszczynski put Adam McKeown through on the left, but the striker’s shot was straight at Clarence keeper Cameron Sweeney.

Luck was with Clarence again on the half-hour when another Luke Cripps free-kick, for a foul by Michael Anderson, took a deflection and ended up in the back of the net to make it 2-0 for the home side.

A magnificent run down the left by Ben Hamlett resulted in Clarence’s third goal in the 34th minute. The youngster beat several defenders and cut inside before beating keeper Nathan Pitchford with a shot inside the far corner of the net.

Eagles hit back just before the interval when Ben Whitehall’s free-kick forced Sweeney to concede a corner. Whitehall took the corner from the right and defender Jacob Clamp was on hand to score and make it two goals the difference at the interval.

Two incidents just after the break had Eagles fuming and appealing for penalties. First, a handball by Clarence defender Ben Parker was ignored by the referee, who obviously thought it was unintentional. And then, McKeown was sent spinning through the air as he and keeper Sweeney went for a through-ball. Again, there were claims for a penalty, but Mr Phillips adjudged it as a fair attempt to get the ball by the keeper and waved play on.

Regardless of how Eagles may have felt, it was business as usual for Clarence and Hamlett collected substitute Angus Hardwick’s pass in the 64th minute to beat Pitchford and give the home side a commanding 4-1 advantage.

Joseph Stevens broke through on the right in the 70th minute, but his mis-hit effort flew over the bar.

Alex Leszczynski pulled another goal back for Eagles in the 73rd minute but they were never going to make up the leeway.

In the first minute of stoppage time, Hamlett completed his hat-trick with an excellent goal. Receiving the ball to feet inside the box on the left, he outfoxed Anderson and Pitchford and stroked the ball inside the far corner of the net to make the final score 5-2 for the hosts.


· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“No matter what happened and no matter what decisions were made, we could have gone all day and all night and we wouldn’t have won that game.

“I think we had the better of the second half, but there were some poor areas of play by us and things just weren’t going our way.

“They scored three soft goals, including two set-pieces that took deflections and dribbled in.

“They deserved their win. The score-line reads 5-2. It’s the biggest loss we’ve had this year and it’s disappointing. The boys are disappointed.

“We just have to knock ourselves back into shape and go again next week against Zebras and then against South.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Kelvedon Park, Saturday, 5 June 2010)


Taroona 1 (H Luttmer 19)

South Hobart 3 (J Lo 35, G Downes 43, A King 90)

HT: 1-2 Att: 90 Ref: P Galloway

Taroona: Hortle - Wright (Tubb 73), Schaap, Johnson, Elliott - Dove (Macgregor 63), Atkinson, Wyatt, Abbott - M Hedge, Luttmer (D Carey 63) [Substitute not used: Darragh Carey] [Coach: Ben Horgan]

South Hobart: Kruijver - Pennicott, Ludford, M Brown (Wuk Bum Heo 69), Scott - Hickey (Kanakaris 85), Roach, Downes, Beecroft - Lo, Brennan (King 69) [Substitute not used: Williams] [Coach: Ken Morton]


This win gave South Hobart a 13-point lead at the top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder. South would need to lose five games now - there are 9 games remaining - to relinquish their title, and that just isn’t going to happen. The champagne in the Wellesley Park club rooms can be taken out of the fridge and uncorked because the title belongs to South.

Taroona matched the visitors in the opening exchanges and South certainly did not have things their own way.

Taroona goalkeeper Robert Hortle did well to smother an effort from Greg Downes in the 13th minute as he was put through by Andy Brennan. The corner came to nothing, but South did force a number of corners in succession and Hortle was kept busy catching and punching balls that were floated into his 6-yard box.

A square pass in midfield by Jim Pennicott in the 19th minute paved the way for Taroona to take the lead. The pass was intercepted and Toby Dove’s shot from the right was only parried by Sam Kruijver. The ball fell to Hugo Luttmer, who drove it into the net to give the home side the lead.

Downes rattled the Taroona bar before Jonathon Lo equalised in the 35th minute. Kruijver cleared the ball up-field and Downes slipped it through for Lo to run onto and, despite the attentions of Sam Johnson and Jack Elliott, slipped it past Hortle to make it 1-1.

Downes ensured South of a 2-1 lead at half-time when he netted from a superb free-kick in the 43rd minute.

Midway through the second half, Downes almost scored again from a free-kick from the left, but the ball struck the crossbar. Pennicott was onto it in a flash, but Johnson managed to block the youngster’s shot.

A minute later, the adventurous Pennicott blazed at goal from range, but the ball just cleared the bar.

A flurry of substitutions then followed from both sides as they tried to gain the upper hand.

South’s fullbacks, Liam Scott and Pennicott, were constantly finding space and time to attack as the visitors applied pressure. Scott fired just over the bat from range in the 76th minute, while Pennicott had a shot blocked in the 80th.

South substitute Andy King finally killed the game off in the final minute when he scored with an excellent shot from the right from 25 metres.

King’s cut-back from the right almost gave South a fourth goal, but Tom Roach was unlucky as his shot struck the crossbar.


· Taroona coach, Ben Horgan, said:

“I was pretty happy with the effort from the boys today. I thought they stuck to our game plan pretty well and it was only a few moments of quality from South Hobart that separated the teams today.

“At 2-1, I thought we were still playing well enough to get something out of the game but we started to tire from chasing a goal and they killed us off with the third goal.

“We had a meeting during the week because the players were disappointed with themselves last week against Eagles and we came out of it with some points to focus on, which we did, and I think it was a much better showing.

“The challenge for us now is to get to that level every week and then improve on it because we still can’t be satisfied with a 3-1 loss.”

· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“A hard-earned three points. We had to work hard for the win today.

“Taroona played with great spirit, everyone fighting for each other, and we had to match that spirit.

“Overall, we had good opportunities to put the game to bed, hitting the woodwork three or four times and I thought we controlled the game and had territorial advantage for long spells.

“Three great points. I am very happy with the performance and, of course, the result.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

Olympia Warriors 1 (B Phillips 9) drew with Kingborough Lions United 1 (M Marchioli 43)


Olympia Warriors 1 (O Shabaneh) lost to Kingborough Lions United 2 (Colin Hughes, T Polmear)


Olympia Warriors 0 lost to Kingborough Lions United 4 (C Iseli, B Watkins, N Vialle, S Gunn)

Glenorchy Knights 0-1 Tilford Zebras

Southern Division One

Metro 7 (Dawes 3, Cowen 2, Morris, Wiggins) beat Hobart United 2


Metro 3-1 Hobart United

South Hobart appear to have an unassailable 13-point lead at the top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League with nine rounds remaining.

They are well on the way to their third successive league title under coach Ken Morton.

South Hobart had to fight hard to beat second-last Taroona 3-1 away at Kelvedon Park on Saturday, but the previous evening, their closest rivals, second-placed Tilford Zebras and third-ranked Glenorchy Knights, could only draw 1-1.

The Friday night result may have caused a little complacency in the South Hobart ranks as they were far from impressive against Taroona.

Indeed, Taroona scored first when poor defending by the visitors enabled Hugo Luttmer to net in the 19th minute. South goalkeeper Sam Kruijver could only parry Toby Dove’s shot and Luttmer swept home the rebound.

It was not until the 31st minute that South drew level. A long kick by Kruijver and a pass by Greg Downes put Jonathon Lo through and he left defender Jack Elliott sprawled on the ground as he slipped the ball past goalkeeper Robert Hortle.

Two minutes before the interval, Downes gave South the lead with a perfectly-placed free-kick that gave Hortle no chance as the ball whistled past him and into the top left-hand corner of the net.

Downes had also hit the bar in the first half, but Taroona were proving plucky opponents and refused to lie down.

Midway through the second half, Downes hit the bar again with an excellent free-kick, while Sam Johnson blocked the follow-up shot from Jim Pennicott.

Pennicott lobbed just wide a minute later, while in the 72nd minute, he headed narrowly past the post.

Liam Scott fired wide for the visitors in the 76th minute, while in the 80th, the ever-dangerous defender Pennicott had a shot blocked on the line.

Substitute Andy King made the game safe in the final minute with a wonderful strike from 25 metres that gave Hortle no chance and made it 3-1.

Ricky Self headed Tilford Zebras ahead in the 16th minute against the Knights and it wasn’t until 9 minutes from the end that substitute James Hope levelled, tapping home a cross from Corey Smith.

Jade Clay almost snatched a winner for the Knights in stoppage time, but he just failed to connect with Smith’s far-post cross.

In the Saturday night match, Clarence United downed New Town Eagles 5-2. Ben Hamlett netted a hat-trick for Clarence, whose first two goals came from deflected free-kicks by Luke Cripps.

Jacob Clamp and Alex Leszczynski were Eagles’ marksmen. Eagles had two penalty appeals turned down in the first half in what was their worst defeat of the season.

Northern Rangers opened up a 4-point lead in the Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League when they downed Prospect Knights 1-0 on Saturday evening. Second-placed Devonport City had the bye.

Burnie United beat bottom-side Launceston United 3-1 away, while Ulverstone succumbed 3-2 at home against Somerset in a North-West Coast derby.

Second-last Launceston City were thumped 5-1 at home at Mitsubishi Park by Riverside Olympic.