Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 102 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

South Hobart 5 (J Lo 60, K Kanakaris 66, 69, T Roach 80, G Downes 85) beat Clarence United 1 (B Parker 2)

Kingborough Lions United 1 (T Polmear 79) beat Taroona 0

Tilford Zebras 4 (H Fagg 45+4, R Self 53, B Crosswell 78, J Welch 90+2) beat New Town Eagles 2 (J Clamp 22, A McKeown 90+2)


South Hobart 2-1 Clarence United

Kingborough Lions United 2-1 Taroona

Tilford Zebras 6 (D Lapolla 3, T Macgregor 2, E Engels) b New Town Eagles 2 (M Fennell 2)


South Hobart 1-2 Clarence United

Kingborough Lions United 2-1 Taroona

Tilford Zebras 2-3 New Town Eagles

Southern Division One

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 0-3 Metro (Dawes 2, Morris)

FFT Under-17s 7-8 DOSA

Hobart United 6-1 Southern FC


Nelson Eastern Suburbs 0-3 Metro

Hobart United 9-2 Southern FC

Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League

Riverside Olympia 10-0 Launceston United

Ulverstone 0-2 Devonport City

Burnie United 3-0 Launceston City

Prospect Knights 4-3 Somerset

France and Uruguay drew 0-0 in Cape Town in their Group A World Cup clash this morning [Tasmanian time].

That means it’s all square in the group with both matches ending in draws. South Africa drew 1-1 with Mexico in the earlier game.

France will be the more disappointed side as they had key players Patrice Evra and Franck Ribery booked.

Uruguay continued their tradition of being the hard men of World Cup football. The dubious honour of the first send-off of the tournament went to the South Americans when the Japanese referee, Yuichi Nishimura, dismissed Nicolas Lodeiro 9 minutes from the end of the game. Lodeiro had been cautioned in the 65th minute and then received a second yellow card for a foul on Bacary Sagna.

France were the better side overall and Sidney Govou missed the chance of the match in the opening minutes when he reached a low ball into the goalmouth from Ribery but swept the ball wide of the far post.

Nikolas Anelka had few opportunities, his best being a header over the bar early on.

Diego Forlan did reasonably well for Uruguay and in the 16th minute he created a good shooting opportunity when he cut in from the left, but his shot was straight at the French goalkeeper. In the 73rd minute, he missed a glorious chance when he shot wide after a throw-in from the left and a pass from Luis Suarez set him up.

Yoann Gourcuff was dangerous for France at set-pieces and he almost caught out the Uruguayan keeper, Fernando Muslera, in the 18th minute with a free-kick from the left, but the keeper beat out the ball as it almost sneaked into the top left-hand corner.

The funniest moment of the match came two minutes from the end when substitute Thierry Henry, who knows all about hand-balls. He had the cheek to claim a penalty for handball when his attempt at goal came off the hand of Diego Godin. The defender’s hand was tight against his body and he had no chance of avoiding contact and the referee quite correctly waved play on.

France had 4 shots on target and Uruguay 2, while the French had 9 shots off target and the Uruguayans 3.

France had 52 per cent of the possession and Uruguay 48 per cent.

France had 4 corners and Uruguay none, while France were caught off-side 4 times and Uruguay 5 times.

France committed 19 fouls and Uruguay 13 and each side received 3 yellow cards, with Uruguay having the only red card.

Hosts South Africa drew 1-1 with Mexico in the opening Group A game of the 2010 World Cup in Johannesburg this morning [Tasmanian time].

Mexico had the better of the possession in the opening half and it took South Africa a long time to settle down. But, South Africa’s quick counter-attacks were always dangerous and they became more confident as the game progressed.

After the goalless opening half, in which Mexico had a ‘goal’ disallowed because of off-side, South Africa took the lead in the 55th minute through a brilliant counter-attack after they won possession deep in their own half.

Tshabalala was put away down the left and he finished brilliantly with a left-foot shot across the goalkeeper and inside the far top corner of the net.

Mexico almost equalised on the hour when Dos Santos cut in from the right and unleashed a terrific shot aimed at the near top corner, but the South African goalkeeper managed to divert it for a corner.

Ten minutes later, South Africa’s Modise had a shot blocked by the Mexican keeper as the home side again showed their ability to launch dangerous and lightning-quick counter-attacks.

The equaliser came in the 79th minute following a short corner by Blanco from the left. Guardado sent over a deep cross from the left and Marquez at the far post fired past the keeper.

South Africa almost snatched a late winner, but Mphela’s shot hit the post.

South Africa had 4 shots on target and Mexico 5, while the hosts had 4 shots off target and Mexico 9.

Mexico had 58 per cent of the possession and won the corner count 5-4.

Mexico were off-side 6 times and South Africa 4 times. South Africa committed 16 fouls and Mexico 12 and both sides received two yellow cards.

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

Glenorchy Knights 2 (A Koroma 23, C Smith 69) beat Olympia Warriors 1 (A Nandan 21)


Glenorchy Knights 8-2 Olympia Warriors