Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 63 guests and no members online

Newcastle Jets scored an important 2-0 away win over Brisbane Roar before a crowd of 6,680 at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane last night.

After a goalless opening half, the tide turned in favour of the visitors as Matt Thompson was pushed forward by Jets coach Branko Culina.

Thompson gave Newcastle the lead in the 50th minute from a clever and well-timed pass by Michael Bridges.

Bridges made it 2-0 five minutes later from a penalty, awarded for a handball offence by Matt Mundy.

Tempers flared on several occasions, with several players shown the yellow card, but there were no send-offs.

The result puts Newcastle fourth and leaves Brisbane in eighth place.

Melbourne Victory are second on the A-League ladder after a convincing 6-2 mauling of sixth-ranked Perth Glory on a shocking surface at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne last night.

Indeed, Perth coach Dave Mitchell almost refused to play the match on a surface that looked like a farm paddock after a New Year Eve concert on the ground.

The crowd of 20,448 were eventually treated to a goal avalanche and the playing conditions were forgotten.

Archie Thompson fired Victory into a 4th-minute lead after a superb through-ball by Carlos Hernandez.

Robbie Kruse made it 2-0 in the 12th minute.

A minute later, only a fine save by Tando Velaphi denied Thompson a second goal.

An own-goal by Rodrigo Vargas following a corner in the 20th minute put Perth back into the game, but Kruse got on to the end of a marvellous Victory move involving Nick Ward, Thompson and Tommy Pondeljak to restore Victory’s two-goal buffer in the 26th minute.

In the 29th minute, Velaphi again produced a first-class save, this time to deny Hernandez.

Kruse completed his hat-trick in the 39th minute and the Melbourne players trooped to the dressing rooms with a 4-1 lead at half-time.

Mile Sterjovski made it two goals the difference when he hit a wonderful low drive from just outside the box as the Melbourne defence retreated and failed to shut him down as he ran through from midfield.

But, a 79th minute penalty, awarded for Jacob Burns’s foul on Thompson, was converted coolly by Kevin Muscat to make it 5-2 for the home side.

Hernandez capped an excellent display with Melbourne’s sixth goal 8 minutes from the end. He beat the Perth off-side trap and rolled the ball through Velaphi’s legs and into the net.

South Melbourne beat South Hobart 2-1 at Bob Jane Stadium this afternoon.

The Victorians led 2-0 at half-time, but Kostas Kanakaris had the ball in the net for the visitors in the first half, only to have the effort cancelled out because of off-side, a decision even the home side’s players and supporters questioned.

Kanakaris netted for South Hobart in the second period, from a cross by Yong Hee Kim, to make the score-line very respectable.

In the dying seconds, Kanakaris was on his way to goal and might have grabbed an equaliser, but the referee’s whistle ended the contest as the South Hobart player was about to shoot.

The score-line was vastly different to last season, when South Melbourne won 10-0.

“Bart Beecroft was outstanding and Daniel Brown, at centre-back, was excellent,” said South Hobart coach, Ken Morton.

“Wook Bum Heo was absolutely brilliant.

“Kostas worked very hard and scored a great goal but was given off-side.

Morton was delighted with the work-out for his side and with the result.

“Jonathon Lo, one of our top strikers, and Tom Roach weren’t with us,” he said.

“With that to come, and if we can keep playing the way we did, it was absolutely super.

“We defended very, very well and their goals have come in from range. They cracked them with the wind behind them, and, okay, they flew in, and one from a good angle.

“But, I took notes and, other than that, they’ve never had any real big chances.

“They’ve shot from range against us.

“Sam Kruijver was in goal for us and he was very steady, very consistent.

“They brought on four or five players in the second half to freshen it up.

“It was a really solid performance and creative as well, with plenty of buzz about us.”

A-League Results

Melbourne Victory 6 (Thompson 4, Kruse 12, 26 39, Muscat 79 pen, Hernandez 82) b Perth Glory 2 (Vargas og 20, Sterjovski 52)

Att: 20,448 (Etihad Stadium)

Brisbane Roar 0-2 Newcastle Jets (Thompson 50, Bridges 56 pen)

Att: 6,680 (Suncorp Stadium)

Adelaide United stayed on the bottom of the A-League ladder after drawing 1-1 with eighth-placed Central Coast Mariners before 10,156 fans at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide tonight.

The Mariners moved up one place to seventh as a result of the draw.

Goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic had a fine game for Adelaide and made several crucial saves.

His opposite number, Danny Vukovic, had little to do. One of his few saves was against Cassio in the first half.

The Mariners went ahead through a penalty in the 37th minute after Cassio had bowled over Predrag Bojic with a clumsy foul.

Nik Mrdja scored easily from the spot as Galekovic dived the wrong way.

Two minutes before the break, Adelaide captain Travis Dodd equalised with a good finish from the right after Lloyd Owuso had put him through.

Adelaide United coach Aurelio Vidmar said he had not given up hope of qualifying for the finals.

Adelaide are in action again on Tuesday when they play Perth Glory.