Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 140 guests and no members online

Perth Glory moved into fifth spot on the A-League ladder with a comfortable 2-0 home win over Wellington Phoenix at ME Bank Stadium in Perth tonight.

The Phoenix dropped a place to sixth.

Two well-taken first-half goals by Perth did the trick.

In the 22nd minute, a cross from deep on the left by Naum Sekulovksi was chested down by Daniel McBreen, despite the presence of both centre-backs, and he drove the ball past Liam Reddy to make it 1-0.

In the 41st minute, Todd Howarth, beyond the far post on the left, was presented with a perfect cross from the right by Jamie Coyne and he almost broke the net with a tremendous volley that Reddy didn’t even see to make it 2-0.

Phoenix should have been back in contention when they earned a penalty in the 70th minute after Scott Bulloch fouled Troy Hearfield, but former Perth hero Eugene Dadi made a complete hash of his spot-kick.

Dadi placed a tame effort straight down the middle and Tando Velaphi, who had stood his ground, scooped up the ball without effort.

The attendance was 9,368.

Gold Coast United opened up a two-point lead over second-placed Sydney FC despite drawing 1-1 away with seventh-ranked Central Coast Mariners at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford this evening.

The first half proved scoreless, but things livened up in the second half.

Joel Porter gave Gold Coast the lead in the 66th minute.

Jason Culina’s corner from the right was headed wide by a defender, but Kristian Rees knocked the ball back across goal, where Porter’s header was blocked on the line.

The ball came back to Porter, who fired home from close range.

A minute later, the Mariners were level when Bas van den Brink pulled down Nik Mrdja and conceded a penalty.

Mrdja took the spot kick himself and sent a left-footed effort straight down the middle as goalkeeper Jess Vanstrattan dived to his left.

Within a minute of the equaliser, the tackles started to flow frequently and ruthlessly, resulting in a flurry of yellow cards.

Seconds into stoppage time, the Mariners' Nigel Boogaard received a second yellow and was sent off.

In the second half, Mariners substitute Michael McGlinchey missed several gilt-edged chances, while at the other end, Kristian Rees should have scored with a couple of headers.

David Smith, Football Manager of Northern New South Wales, was back in Hobart for a couple of days this week.

Smith, the former CEO of Football Federation Tasmania, took the opportunity to catch up with some local coaches and swap notes.

Meanwhile, all local Premier League clubs are now well back into pre-season training as the start of the Summer Cup competition is less than a month away.

At New Town Eagles’ training, goalkeeper Nathan Pitchford seems fit after missing all of last season with a knee injury.

Eagles will play South Hobart on 31 January in a pre-season friendly.

South Hobart will meet Hobart United tomorrow afternoon in a friendly hit-out.

Yong Kee Him, the former Korean K-League player who has been training with South Hobart, appears to have secured a four-month contract with an Indonesian club.

Scott Gallagher has resigned as the Tasmanian under-13 boys’ coach and his duties will be taken over by Steve Payne and Kurt Reynolds.


Several Premier League coaches have volunteered their tips for the top four sides in the league this coming season.

They emphasise that these tips are made well before the Summer Cup competition starts and are loosely based on last year’s performances and so should not be taken too seriously.

Ken Morton, coach of South Hobart, picks his own side and Tilford Zebras, Glenorchy Knights and Clarence United to feature in the top four places this season.

George Krambousanos, coach of New Town Eagles, tips South Hobart, Clarence United, Glenorchy Knights and his own side to fight out top-four places.

Olympia’s Chris Hey thinks Clarence United, South Hobart, Glenorchy Knights and Tilford Zebras to be up there challenging for the title.

Andrew Brown, coach of Clarence United, picks South Hobart, Glenorchy Knights, Tilford Zebras and Olympia to be in the top-four mix at the end of the season.

Brown said his club had lost several very promising youngsters to other clubs, including Ben Phillips to Olympia and Jacob Huigsloot to Glenorchy Knights.


On a personal note, Felix Pless, my uncle, who was 78 and a former coach and referee, passed away yesterday.

Felix was a youth coach at Metro and was senior coach of Rapid in the top flight in the early 1970s.

Stephen Pitchford, who was coached by Felix as a junior, fondly remembers Felix handing out chocolate frogs after sessions. He did, after all, work at Cadbury.

Sixth-placed Perth Glory came back from two goals down to beat bottom-side Adelaide United 3-2 away at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide tonight.

Two errors by Perth defender Jamie Coyne led to the two Adelaide goals.

In the 13th minute, he allowed Lucas Pantelis to cross from the left and the ball carried over goalkeeper Tando Velaphi and nestled just inside the far post to put the home side ahead.

Eight minutes into the second half, another error by Coyne gifted possession to Adelaide captain Travis Dodd and he fired home from 12 metres to make it 2-0.

It was Dodd’s third goal in as many games.

Perth were playing well, however, dominating the possession and the corner count and a crucial incident in the 61st minute swung the odds in their favour.

A poor back pass by Mark Rudan put Iain Fyfe in trouble and he was sent off after bringing down Mile Sterjovski, who was on his way towards goal.

Fyfe was the last defender, but Adelaide coach Aurelio Vidmar later claimed that his challenge had been a fair shoulder charge.

From the resulting free-kick a metre outside the box, Jacob Burns scored to make it 2-1 and put the visitors back into the match.

Burns scored a second in the 69th minute with a low shot from 16 metres to make it 2-2 and Adelaide were in danger of getting nothing out of this match.

Thirteen minutes from the end, an error by Rudan enabled Daniel McBreen to score the winner from the left of the box.

Adelaide’s fortunes went from bad to worse when they had Pantelis sent off in the 5th minute of stoppage time after collecting a second yellow card.

Adelaide keeper Eugene Galekovic was in outstanding form and took out the man-of-the-match award.

He made at least five brilliant saves to deny Perth and prevent the visitors from romping to an easy victory.

The attendance was 8,904.