Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 79 guests and no members online

South Hobart beat Kingborough Lions United 4-0 at Snug Oval this morning in a match to benefit the Peter Mac Cancer Charity.

The Hayley Coad memorial Trophy was presented to the winners by Will Hodgman.

Cam Williams, the brother of Hayley Coad, captained South Hobart.

South Hobart coach Ken Morton fielded the young side that will travel to Wollongong next weekend.

Seth Otte and Andy Brennan each netted a brace.

Warren Iles played for Kingborough, but Greg Freeman was an absentee.

The two clubs intend playing for this trophy in their first league meeting each season in the future.

North Queensland Fury stayed ninth and Brisbane Roar eighth on the A-League ladder after they drew 1-1 in Townsville this evening.

Controversy preceded the match when Robbie Fowler refused to start on the bench for North Queensland Fury.

Fury coach Ian Ferguson felt his marquee player was jaded and planned to start him on the bench and bring him on for the last half-hour, but the former Liverpool star refused and sat in the stands with his child during the game.

Fury, and New Zealand, suffered a huge blow in the opening minutes when Jeremy Brockie sustained a suspected broken leg after a tackle by Michael Zullo.

Brockie was carried from the ground on a stretcher and taken to hospital by ambulance and looks doubtful for the World Cup.

Had Fowler been on the bench, he would probably have come on and played for most of the game.

After a goalless opening half, Brisbane Roar took the lead in the 48th minute through a header by Luke Devere.

Goalkeeper Justin Pasfield got to the ball but could not keep it out.

David Williams equalised in the 55th minute following a pass from Dyron Daal.

Zullo and Tommy Oar had some great shots saved by Pasfield, who was in excellent form.

The attendance was 7,610, which is the second biggest crowd for the Fury at home this season.

Melbourne Victory returned to the top of the A-League standings this evening with a 2-0 win over bottom-side Adelaide United at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne.

A goal after just 24 seconds gave Melbourne the lead and their second goal came with the last kick of the match, a penalty in the 4th minute of stoppage time.

It was Melbourne’s ninth consecutive win over Adelaide.

For Adelaide, it was their ninth straight loss in the league this season.

With Melbourne’s first attack of the game, Archie Thompson crossed towards the far post from the left, where Tom Pondeljak’s first shot was turned against the near post by goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic.

The ball rebounded to Pondeljak, whose second effort flew into the net through the keeper’s legs and off his heel to make it 1-0 for the home side.

Melbourne should have added a second goal on the hour when Thompson set up Robbie Kruse, but the youngster missed a sitter, shooting wide of Galekovic’s left-hand post.

Adelaide did create some chances, but their shooting was way off the mark.

In the fourth minute of stoppage time, Melbourne won a penalty when Thompson went down with Alemao and Robbie Cornthwaite in close attendance but seemingly innocent.

Cornthwaite received a yellow card for complaining and became the sixth Adelaide player in the game to be cautioned. This will mean a fine for the club.

The attendance was 20,361, which took Melbourne’s attendances this season to the quarter-million mark.

The defeat means Adelaide can now not qualify for the finals.

Melbourne is level with the Gold Coast on 41 points, but Melbourne’s better goal-difference puts them on top.

South Hobart beat Hobart United 5-1 in a pre-season friendly at Wellesley Park this afternoon.

Akuel Guot gave United the lead, but South gradually gained the ascendancy and ran out winners.

Liam Scott, Jim Pennicott, Colin Wain, Elliott Lovell and Andy Brennan were South’s marksmen.

“It was a very difficult game for us because Hobart United play with lots of enthusiasm,” said South Hobart coach, Ken Morton.

“They’re big and strong, they get in your face, and they leave the legs in.

“They fight for the fifty-fifty balls, so it was a difficult game for us.

“But, overall, when we had our passages of play, we did well and scored a couple of good goals, which were important for us, from wide areas.

“We had ten first-team players not playing - ten genuine first-team players."

Tom Roach made a brief appearance for South Hobart but damaged an ankle and had to go off.

“Colin Wain played for us and we’re hoping he’ll stay, and we’re hoping Matthew Brown will be back as well.

“That’s nothing definite, but it’s just a possibility.

“Next week I’ve got to put two teams out to play White Eagles and I’ll have 18 players in Wollongong with me [at the same time].

“And yet, we can do that.

“We have another lad coming from Pohang Steelers - a 25-year-old.

“We’re just trying to make ourselves as strong as we possibly can in all areas to develop the game and to develop our own youngsters.

“I mean, you see some of the youngsters now, such as Andy Brennan, who’s raw at the edges but he may have that gift of getting into penalty areas.”


Michael McKenna is the replacement at Football Federation Tasmania for Kenneth Hansen, who is returning to Denmark.

McKenna will, amongst other things, be in charge of rostering and he also has an interest in ramping up the FFT website.