Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 112 guests and no members online

Sydney FC remained stuck in third place on the A-League ladder when they lost 1-0 away to Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

Brisbane are in seventh place and remain in contention for a finals spot.

Sydney were lucky not to be down to nine men by the end of the game.

Goalkeeper Clint Bolton should have been sent off when he handled outside the box, while Shannon Cole should have received a second yellow card for a bad foul on an opponent.

Michael Zullo, whose tackle last weekend resulted in a broken leg for New Zealand international Jeremie Brockie, was again guilty of a bad foul in this match but stayed on the park.

The goal came in the 88th minute following a corner from the right.

A poor clearing punch by Bolton fell to Luke Devere, whose shot was touched in by Sergio Van Dijk.

Former Dutch international Patrick Kluivert, the top scorer of all time for The Netherlands, was on the Brisbane bench as part of the club’s coaching staff.

He will be here for two weeks to assist Ange Postecoglou.

Sydney FC assistant coach, Tony Popovic, said: “It was a difficult one for us to take. It was pretty quiet in the dressing room [afterwards].

“We’re going to have to put this behind us quickly as we’ve got two tough games to come.

“They kept going and got a goal at the end from a set-piece.”

Tonight’s scheduled game between North Queensland Fury and Newcastle Jets in Townsville was postponed because of the weather.

Fourth-placed Wellington Phoenix beat bottom-side Adelaide United 1-0 in their A-League clash in Christchurch this afternoon.

A 22nd minute strike by Jon McKain separated the sides.

Adelaide failed to clear a corner from the left and McKain turned and slammed home a left-footed shot inside the far post.

On this sort of form, Adelaide are going to prove an embarrassment in the Asian Champions League.

The attendance in Christchurch was an excellent 19,279, which is triple what the Phoenix can normally expect in their own ‘cake tin’ in Wellington.

Photos: Action from today's friendly between Metro (blue) and Beachside (green) [PlessPix]

Beachside beat Metro 3-1 at North Chigwell this afternoon in a pre-season friendly.

Colin Wain, Ben Crosswell and Kurt De Jong were the scorers for Beachside, while Jason Dawes pulled a goal back for Metro with a late penalty.

Jayden Wiggins played for Metro, who had Nathan Grandin, the former Hobart United keeper, in goal.

Michael Sosynski was in goal for Beachside, who were missing Brett Pullen.

"I was happy with our game as we had a lot of young guys out there," said Metro coach, Matthew Rhodes.

"It was our first hit-out for the year and there were a lot of positives to come out of it."

Nelson president Bill Hanley was the referee.


As predicted in the comments section of this blog some weeks ago, the merger between Christian United and Kingston Cannons has gone ahead and the new club will blandly be called Southern FC.

Kingston Cannons arose out of the former Rapid and it is a sad day to see the club's demise as it was once a powerhouse of the Tasmanian game.

When clubs merge, one usually becomes dominant and the other party gradually disappears.

The reduction in the number of clubs is a bad sign for the game in this State.

Photo: South Hobart squad in Wollongong [Vicki Woods]

South Hobart's youth side beat Wollongong Wolves' under-18s 3-2 in Wollongong this morning.

South Hobart, which led 1-0 at half-time and 3-0 at one stage, produced a solid performance, according to coach Ken Morton.

"It was nice to finish our two-match tour on a good note," said Morton.

"I'm not just happy with the result, but the performance was consistent."

Jim Pennicott netted twice and Will Ross once.


University are reported to be considering dropping out of Division One and competing just in Division Two.

They are canvassing some of the other Division One teams on the issue.

Some other clubs will also have difficulty in fielding under-19 sides and that is believed to be the fly in the ointment as far as competing in Division One is concerned.

Some people are envisaging a situation where just three clubs can meet the requirements of Division One.

That, of course, would make the competition unviable.