Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 88 guests and no members online

The Summer Cup group stage ended at South Hobart today on the last day of summer but in wintry conditions.

With rain squalls sweeping the ground and the city of Hobart shrouded in mist in the distance, it was left to Glenorchy Knights and Kingborough Lions United to fight for a place in next Saturday’s final.

The Lions had to win by three clear goals but produced a toothless display and went down 1-0 to the Knights.

The goal came in the 28th minute from Daniel White.

He was played through by some neat passing involving James Sherman, Amadu Koroma and Corey Smith. White’s initial close-range shot was blocked by Kingborough keeper David Leamey, but the ball rebounded to White, who smashed it home from five metres.

The Knights had two other good chances in the first half.

In the 14th minute, Fielding beat the goalkeeper to the ball on the left of the 6-yard box and slipped it to James Hope, who scuffed his shot and the ball ran harmlessly cross the face of goal and beyond the far post.

Three minutes later, Brendan Garth fed Fielding down the right, but he fired centimetres wide of the far post.

Two minutes after the interval, Andrew Robb’s cross-cum-shot from the right hit the Kingborough crossbar and came back into play before being cleared.

Six minutes from the end, Kingborough had their best chance of the game when Tony Dzelalija was adjudged to have brought down Greg Freeman and was sent off.

Mr Barker awarded a penalty, but Knights keeper Alex Tatnell saved Trent Pearce’s spot-kick.

Knights coach Eamonn Kelly said he was disappointed by the decision as he felt Dzelalija had got the ball. He said the side would miss Dzelalija’s experience in the final against South Hobart.

Dzelalija said he felt it had been a harsh decision because he had got the ball but, nevertheless, he still believed Barker was a good referee. He resigned himself to missing the final.

Kingborough coach Geoff Freeman said that Greg Freeman should have shot early and the penalty issue would then never have arisen.

In today’s earlier game, Olympia Warriors beat Tilford Zebras 2-1.

Ricky Self put Zebras ahead with a great shot in the 5th minute.

A minute later, Olympia were level when Emmanuel Tsakiris was brought down by keeper Jason Voss and converted the penalty himself.

It was Tsakiris’s last action of the match, however, as he had to go off because of a calf injury sustained when brought down for the penalty.

Zebras continued to attack and, in the 12th minute, Ben Crosswell had a header cleared off the line.

In the 20th minute, Olympia keeper Justin Farrugia did well to dive to his left and deny Self.

Adam Powell’s tackle on Self a minute later might have warranted a penalty, but the referee waved play on.

Seconds later, Olympia attacked down the other end and Jayden Wiggins hit the winner with a neat volley from 25 metres.

Farrugia again denied Self in the 23rd minute, but Olympia held their opponents out for the rest of the match to score their first win of the tournament.

In the Reserves, a goal by Toby MacGregor gave Zebras a 1-0 win over Olympia, while Knights and Kingborough drew 1-1, with Knights winning the penalty shoot-out 5-4.

Knights will also meet South Hobart in the Reserve section final.