Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 65 guests and no members online

Fifth-placed Perth Glory beat eighth-ranked Brisbane Roar 2-0 at home at ME Bank Stadium this evening.

Scott Neville netted his first A-League goal in 28 appearances when he gave Glory a 9th-minute lead.

Brisbane goalkeeper Matt Ham missed a cross from the right from Todd Howarth as he ran into the back of Jamie Harnwell and the ball dropped for Neville to score with a neat left-footed strike inside the near post.

Scott Bullock made it 2-0 in the 73rd minute as a cross from the right was nodded into his path on the left of the box and he hammered home from 12 metres.

Mitch Nicholls forced a good save from Perth keeper Tando Velaphi near the end, but the home side fully deserved their win and a place in the finals.

Glory might have had another goal when Wayne Srhoj had a shot from 50 metres with Ham out of his goal, but the ball hit the outside of the post.

Photos (Top to Bottom): Knights' James Sherman (right) shields the ball from Taroona's Marcus Atkinson; Jacob Huigsloot raises his arms after scoring for Knights; Daniel White marked his Knights debut by being sent off; Referee Craig Phillips tosses the coin before the South Hobart versus Tilford Zebras match; Zebras' Ben Crosswell sets off on a run watched by team-mates Adam Young and Ryan Smith and challenged by South's Jim Pennicott and Bart Beecroft; Kostas Kanakaris shoots past Troy Kaden for the only goal of the game [PlessPix]

It was hot on the field, though, with one send-off and several yellow cards issued.

Danny White, newly signed by Glenorchy Knights from Whittlesea Zebras in Victoria, lasted a mere 53 minutes against Taroona before being sent off by referee Ivan Jozeljic for offensive language.

Knights were already 3-0 up by that stage and it barely mattered from the point of view of the outcome.

But, White will now be suspended and miss next week’s match against Clarence United.

The Knights’ volatile midfielder Corey Smith also got himself booked and will obviously have to be careful for the remainder of the tournament.

Knights had James Sherman in midfield and he opened the scoring in the 20th minute with a free-kick from 30 metres.

In the 26th minute, Taroona failed to clear a corner and the Knights’ new signing from Clarence, Jacob Huigsloot, blasted home the second goal to make it 2-0 at the interval.

White added the third shortly after the resumption with a neat prod from close range after a cross from the left by Will Roberts.

Knights often played with just one out-and-out striker, while Taroona were ultra cautious and often had three defenders at the back marking no-one.

Taroona could have embarrassed the Knights had they taken the chances that came their way, but hesitation, slow thinking and poor finishing cost them dearly.

Marc Gates missed two excellent openings, including one where he lobbed the keeper, only to see the ball come back into play off an upright.

On another occasion, a mix-up between Knights keeper Alex Tatnell and Anthony Grundy left Gates with an open goal, but he reacted too slowly and the chance evaporated.

Taroona’s Hugo Luttmer also had a shot well saved by Tatnell.

Knights go top of Group B, but they will need to do better than this to reach the final.

There was little understanding at the back between keeper Tatnell and his defenders and better sides than Taroona will punish them.

South Hobart were more efficient than Tilford Zebras and that was the main difference between the sides in their Group A match.

South again did just enough to win, but they will need to work on their finishing as Jonathon Lo and Kostas Kanakaris missed easy chances.

It was Kanakaris who scored the only goal of the game when, in the 25th minute, he was put clear on the right and beat the advancing keeper, Troy Kaden.

There was a hint of off-side about the goal, but it was allowed to stand and ultimately settled the contest.

Zebras had few chances, the best coming when Adam Young forced a brilliant save from Sam Kruijver.

Ben Crosswell played in midfield for Zebras. He would surely have been far more effective up front.

In the Reserve section of the competition, Glenorchy Knights beat Taroona 4-0 through two goals by Mathew Nowicki and one each by Yan Fuentes and Cosmos Paite.

South Hobart strolled to a 3-0 victory over Tilford Zebras, Seth Otte netting twice and Andy Brennan once.

Photos (Top to Bottom): Zebras' Ricky Self (left) goes for a high ball with South's Jonathon Ladic; South's Hugh Ludford slides to clear ahead of Zebras' Adam Young and watched by his team-mates Greg Downes and Daniel Brown [PlessPix]

Summer Cup Results (Premier League Section)

Group B:

Glenorchy Knights 3 (J Sherman 20, J Huigsloot 26, D White 35) b Taroona 0

Group A:

South Hobart 1 (K Kanakaris 25) b Tilford Zebras 0

Premier League Reserves Section

Group B:

Glenorchy Knights 4 (Y Fuentes, M Nowicki 2, C Paite) b Taroona 0

Group A:

South Hobart 3 (S Otte 2, A Brennan) b Tilford Zebras 0

Newcastle Jets finished in sixth place on the A-League ladder despite losing 2-1 at home to bottom-side Adelaide United at EnergyAustralia Stadium this evening.

The attendance of 6,800 was the lowest ever between these two teams.

It was Newcastle's fourth straight defeat, but they are in the finals.

Fabian Barbiero opened the scoring for the visitors in the 8th minute. The ball ricocheted off the heel of Newcastle defender Jason Hoffman and into the path of Barbiero, who hammered it past keeper Ben Kennedy.

Ali Abbas, who was probably the pick of the home side’s players, equalised in the 41st minute with a fine right-foot shot from the edge of the box that whistled past the diving Eugene Galekovic.

Matthew Leckie hit the winner in the 74th minute from Lucas Pantelis’s cut-back from the byline on the right.

The win lifted Adelaide off the foot of the ladder. They are now level on points with North Queensland Fury but have a better goal-difference.

North Queensland Fury can condemn Adelaide to the wooden spoon if they can earn at least a point against Gold Coast United.