Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 90 guests and no members online

Sydney FC won the A-League title at the Sydney Football Stadium this afternoon with a 2-0 win over second-placed Melbourne Victory.

Gold Coast United finished third.

Frank Lowy, chairman of Football Federation Australia, presented the Premier’s Trophy to Sydney FC after the match.

Karol Kisel opened the scoring for Sydney in the 34th minute. Alex Brosque headed the ball into Kisel’s path and he hammered home a shot from 25 metres.

Four minutes after the interval, John Aloisi won the ball in the centre-circle and set off on a long run into the Melbourne half before firing home a superb shot from just outside the box to make it 2-0.

Nik Mrdja almost pulled a goal back for Melbourne in the 57th minute, but he fired against the right-hand post from just inside the penalty area.

This was the first time Sydney FC have won the Premier's Plate in the A-League since its inception.

It was Sydney’s eleventh home win of the season and it was played in front of a crowd of 25,407.

Melbourne's Robbie Kruse suffered a suspected broken leg, whole Sydney captain Steve Corica went off injured early in the match.

Melbourne certainly missed the suspended Kevin Muscat and the injured Archie Thompson.

Summer Cup (Premier League Section) Sunday, 14 February 2010

Group A:

New Town Eagles 1 (Adam McKeown 9) dw Olympia 1 (Dipendra Kunwar 13)

[Eagles won penalty shoot-out 4-3, with Andrew Clark, Shane Kent, Alex Leszczynski and Josh Hadfield scoring. Emmanuel Tsakiris, Aaron Smith-Richardson and Kunway netted for Olympia.]

Group B:

Clarence United 2 (Luke Cripps 20, Luke Huigsloot 23) b Kingborough Lions United 1 (Greg Freeman 57)

Premier League Reserve Section

Group A:

New Town Eagles 0-2 Olympia (Fletcher Tracy 51, Chris Tsakiris 56)

Group B:

Clarence United 4 (Liam Marsh 3, Grant Malcolm) b Kingborough Lions United 1 (Jeremy Brown)

Steve Hudson Cup (Launceston)

Group A:

Launceston City 1-0 Western Knights

South Hobart 5-1 Riverside Olympia

Group B:

Taroona 6-0 Launceston United

Ulverstone 3-0 Northern Rangers


South Hobart 13-2 Launceston United

Division One Friendly, Saturday, 13 February 2010

Northern Suburbs DOSA 2-6 Beachside

Premier League Summer Cup (Group B) - South Hobart, Saturday, 13 February 2010


Taroona 0

Glenorchy Knights 3 (J Sherman 20, J Huigsloot 26, D White 35)

HT: 0-2 Att: 200 Ref: I Jozeljic

Taroona: Sheppard - Tubb, Wyatt, Elliott, Darragh Carey - James, Atkinson, Duncan Carey, Dove - Gates, Luttmer [Interchange: Ryan, Tuantab, Horgan] [Coach: Ben Horgan]

Glenorchy Knights: Tatnell - Dzelalija, Holmes, Grundy, J Huigsloot - Robb, Fielding, J Sherman, White, Smith - Koroma [Interchange: T Sherman, Roberts] [Coach: Eamonn Kelly]


Glenorchy Knights won by a comfortable score-line, but it cannot have been a satisfying win as many chinks in their armour were revealed. A better side than Taroona may have got something out of this game.

There was no questioning Taroona’s commitment and effort, but they were woeful in front of goal.

They were assisted by indecision and a lack of understanding at the back by the Knights, but they squandered chances that were offered to them on a platter.

Knights goalkeeper Alex Tatnell will have to forge a stronger relationship with the likes of Anthony Grundy, Alex Holmes and Tony Dzelalija if they are not to be embarrassed by fast and clever opposition strikers.

Taroona also failed to make the most of a situation where the opponents play only one striker. Too often, there were three Taroona defenders marking no-one at the back. At least one of those could have pushed forward to assist the midfielders and create problems for the Knights.

James Sherman was in a central midfield role for the Knights and his distribution was intelligent and effective.

He also showed that he can be lethal at free-kicks. In the 20th minute, he scored with one such set-piece from 30 metres to give Knights the lead.

It was 2-0 six minutes later. Taroona failed to clear a corner from the left by Danny White and Jacob Huigsloot fired home from 12 metres, with the Taroona goalkeeper slumped at his feet.

White made it 3-0 early in the second half. Substitute Will Roberts crossed from the left and White controlled the ball before cleverly prodding it inside the left-hand post.

Midway through the second half, Taroona’s Marc Gates lobbed Tatnell, but the ball came back off the right-hand post.

Two minutes later, Gates missed a glorious opening after a mix-up between Tatnell and Grundy.

It was almost as if the Knights were inviting Taroona back into the match and they had to clear another effort off the line before the end.

Hugo Luttmer, the oldest player on the pitch, showed his worth in the 52nd minute when he forced Tatnell to a fine save.

A minute later, White was shown the red card for offensive language as he reacted to a comment from a spectator.

But, the game was over by that stage and it was the Knights who became the first leaders in Group B.


Taroona coach, Ben Horgan, said:

“We’re satisfied with that. We just wanted to keep making progress towards the start of the league season, so we didn’t kid ourselves that we could come out here and win the Summer Cup or anything.

“We had plenty of great chances. Gates hit the post, a last-minute block and one cleared off the line. We certainly could have scored.

“We’re missing centre-backs. We still thought we’d be able to play. We knew we’d struggle to defend set-pieces and we copped one from a free-kick and one from a corner, so we knew that was going to be a problem.

“Yeah, pretty happy with it really. I mean, you’re never happy with three nil, but satisfied is probably a better word.”

Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“I thought the first fifteen minutes were diabolical. I thought the second fifteen minutes were brilliant and we played good football. We kept the ball on the ground and did what we were supposed to do all game.

“The third fifteen minutes wasn’t bad. We finished them off and that’s what we wanted to do in the first fifteen minutes of the second half.

“The last fifteen minutes, we were all over the show because we got lazy. We lost concentration, we lost shape, we lost Danny White and we were lucky not to get a goal scored against us.

“I’m not really worried about disciplinary issues. If you’ve got people in the crowd who are going to be stupid enough to call him [names], well, fair enough. Danny’s a professional and he should not respond to it, and he did, and he’s going to suffer the consequences. It’s a simple as that.”

North Queensland Fury avoided the wooden spoon by beating third-placed Gold Coast United 2-1 at home in Townsville tonight before a crowd of 8,500, their second highest attendance of the season.

The result handed the wooden spoon to Adelaide United, while Gold Coast finished third.

David Williams gave the Fury the lead in the 8th minute when he raced down the left and smacked a great shot against the crossbar.

The ball rebounded to Terry Cooke, whose shot was parried by the goalkeeper and into the path of Williams, who netted from close range.

Joel Porter equalised for the visitors in the 62nd minute. He was put through on the left by Shane Smeltz and hammered an unstoppable shot through the keeper’s legs from the left of the box.

Terry Cooke headed the winner from a left-wing cross in the 83rd minute from Paul Kohler.

The Fury’s Robbie Middleby pulled the curtain down on a 17-year professional career when he was substituted to a huge ovation from the fans late in the match.

He will take up the position of football operations manager.