Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 120 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League champions South Hobart won their fourth piece of silverware this season when they beat Clarence United 2-1 on Saturday night in the final of the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy at KGV Park.

Clarence were the holders of the trophy and have been South Hobart’s bogey side in the past.

This final was a closely contested confrontation and either side could have won it.

South Hobart were the better side in the opening half and led 1-0 at the interval, but Clarence were a side transformed in the second half and they came back strongly to equalise and almost take the lead when Nathan Rees’s header hit the crossbar.

South Hobart regained their composure, however, and snatched the winner five minutes before the end.

Andy Brennan gave South Hobart the lead after just four minutes. Jim Pennicott’s deep cross from the right was flicked on by Kostas Kanakaris to Brennan, who controlled the ball, turned and fired past Cameron Sweeney.

Brennan had two other glorious chances to extend his side’s lead and claim a hat-trick.

In the 20th minute, a perfectly weighted pass by Shae Hickey put Brennan through with only the goalkeeper to beat, but Sweeney raced off his line and blocked the striker’s shot.

Three minutes later, a long ball out of defence by Hugh Ludford found Brennan in the clear. With Sweeney way off his line, Brennan tried to chip the keeper from the left side of the box, but the ball bounced just wide of the far post.

It was all South Hobart at this stage, with Jonathon Lo driving an effort just over the bar and Kanakaris shooting straight at the goalkeeper from another Pennicott cross from deep on the right.

Clarence replaced the injured Luke Cripps with Chris Hunt for the second half and with the speedy Andy Barron moving to a traditional centre-forward role, they began to control the game.

South Hobart keeper Sam Kruijver had to produce an excellent save to deny Barron in the 61st minute, while Mattias Toghill drove narrowly wide after a corner a minute later.

The equaliser came in the 64th minute. Daniel Brown’s attempted clearance cannoned off Barron’s knee and hit the left-hand post. Barron was the first to reach the rebound and he swept the ball into an empty net from close range.

South Hobart were reeling at this stage and they almost fell behind in the 75th minute when Nathan Rees rose for a corner and smashed a header against the crossbar. Ben Parker hammered the rebound at goal, but it was blocked on the line and referee Kim Barker awarded South Hobart a free-kick for a foul on the goalkeeper as players from both sides swooped on the loose ball in a huge goalmouth scrimmage.

Sweeney did well to block a pile-driver from substitute Greg Downes in the 76th minute as South Hobart fought their way back into the match.

With 5 minutes remaining, yet another deep cross from the right by Pennicott was not cleared by Clarence and, as the ball fell just inside the box, Tom Roach swivelled and volleyed the ball into the net from 15 metres for the winner.

The defeated Clarence side sportingly formed a guard of honour and clapped South Hobart off the field after the medal and trophy presentations.

The Tasmanian Institute of Sport won the Women’s State-wide Cup 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out against Taroona after the sides were locked together at 1-1 after normal time and extra-time.

Beachside again failed to secure promotion to the Premier League when they were held to a goalless draw by Hobart United and second-placed Metro trounced DOSA 7-0.

With just two rounds remaining, Beachside need only a point to clinch promotion.

In the Premier Reserve League, the Tasmanian Institute of Sport downed Kingborough Lions United 4-1 at KGV Park on Saturday afternoon in the first game of a three-match program.

Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy Final

South Hobart 2 (A Brennan 4, T Roach 85) beat Clarence United 1 (A Barron 64)

Women’s State-wide Cup Final

Tasmanian Institute of Sport 1 (E Gavalas) drew with Taroona 1 (L Bremner)

TIS won penalty shoot-out 5-4

[TIS: O Edwards, S Vienna-Hallam, A Ayton, J Williams, R Cavarretta]

[Taroona: K Konings, L Prescott, A Tolman, K Tarbath]

Premier Reserve League

Tasmanian Institute of Sport 4 (J De Smit 19, 44, D Foley 25, J Walker 80) beat Kingborough Lions United 1 (T Wailes 71)

Division One

DOSA 0-7 Metro (Dawes 3, Wiggins 2, Morris 2)

Beachside 0-0 Hobart United

University 5-1 Southern FC

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 3 (A Gaskell, B Hanley, A Mills) beat FFT Under-15s 2


DOSA 1-15 Metro


DOSA 1-4 University

Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League

Riverside Olympic 3-3 Devonport City


Brisbane Roar 1-0 Sydney FC

Adelaide United moved to the top of the A-League ladder with a 3-2 win over Melbourne Heart before 7,370 fans at Hindmarsh Stadium tonight.

Heart are second-last, while Melbourne Victory are at the foot of the ladder.

Adelaide striker Sergio Van Dijk was a last-minute withdrawal after being injured in the warm-up.

His replacement, Iain Ramsay, netted two of Adelaide’s goals in a marvellous performance.

Heart were missing key players Josip Skoko and Alex Terra. The team found the slippery conditions difficult to handle and quite a few of their players slipped at crucial times, resulting in at least one goal and several near misses.

In this battle of the two Dutch coaches - Adelaide’s Rini Coolen and Heart’s John van’t Schip - it was Adelaide that led twice, only to be pulled back on each occasion.

The winning goal came 2 minutes from the end and there was no coming back for a third time by the visitors.

It took just 2 minutes for the home team to hit the front. A poor back-pass by Michael Marrone on the right flank and a slip by Michael Beauchamp enabled Mathew Leckie to race into the box and nut-meg keeper Clint Bolton with a low shot from an angle on the left.

Lucas Pantelis might have had a second in the 24th minute after some delightful skill on the right by Marcos Flores, but the Adelaide United skipper mis-kicked and the chance went begging.

Nick Kalmar had a chance for Heart in the 32nd minute, but he blazed over the bar. Prior to that, one of the club’s two Dutch imports, the tall Gerald Sibon, placed a free-kick from 20 metres over the bar.

Eli Babalj, a member of the Young Socceroos, went close for Adelaide in the 36th minute, his shot from just 6 metres out going wide.

The equaliser came 2 minutes before the break from a header by Dutch import, Rutger Worm.

Ramsay restored Adelaide’s lead in the 52nd minute, but Babalj again drew Heart level when he scored from Matt Thompson’s cut-back in the 74th minute.

With yet another A-League draw looming, Ramsay popped up to hit the winner after a neat one-two with Flores and another shot through the legs of Bolton.

Heart captain Simon Colosimo was composed in defeat and said it was good to see his team score two good goals.

He said it was only the third match for the side and they used the ball well in patches, but it was disappointing to give away two easy goals on the night.

Beachside can wrap up the Division One title on Saturday by beating Hobart United at home at Sandown Park.

They could have done the job last weekend, but were held to a 1-1 draw by University, so they get another chance this weekend.

Even if they lose or draw, there will still be another opportunity the following weekend, so does it really matter?

FFT’s scheduling has taken a bit of the drama out of the contest anyway. All four Division One games are on Saturday, the same day as the State-wide Cup finals at KGV.

There is no men’s football scheduled for Sunday. Wouldn’t that have been an ideal day to play at least one of the four Division One games, and particularly the Beachside versus Hobart United match? Don’t they want people to see titles decided?

Beachside will be without the injured Fabian Lapolla and Jamon Pennicott. They will be replaced by Patrick Dunne and David Chadwick.

“Michael Soszynski produced some quality saves last week and he has been a significant factor in Beachside having the best defensive record in the league,” said Beachside player-coach, Nathan Robinson.

“Patrick Dunne will return and provide some natural left-side balance to the team, which was missing at Olinda Grove.

“Brett Pullen and Bernie Klasen continued their good form and, with 42 goals between them this season, we hope they can fire us to the title on Saturday.

“Hobart United are not to be taken lightly and have a proven track record as underdogs.

“They have pace in attack and skilful midfielders, which make them a dangerous opposition.”

Second-placed Metro should remain on the scent of Beachside if not hot on their heels as they should easily account for DOSA in a match that has been moved from the Showgrounds to North Chigwell on Saturday at 2.30pm.

DOSA did well against the FFT Under-15s last Monday night and will give a good account of themselves, but they are unlikely to hold out against the firepower of Metro at home.

Fourth-placed Nelson Eastern Suburbs entertain the FFT Under-15s at North Warrane and the home side should win comfortably.

Nelson defender Matt Fone has moved to Brisbane for a few months and will not play again this season.

Bill Hanley replaces him in the starting eleven, while Ollie Ireland, Max Caulfield and reserve keeper Ollie Burden will be on the bench.

“It was not a great performance from us last week and we will now be without a quality player in Matt Fone for the remaining three games of the season,” said Nelson coach, Michael Roach.

“We will be expecting to win against the State under-15 team this week, but we won't be taking anything for granted.

“It’s been a tough season for them, but they have competed well most weeks and have been scoring goals as well, so they’ll take something away from the season for sure.”

In the remaining match on Saturday, third-ranked University should prove superior to Southern FC at Olinda Grove.