Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 138 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (KGV Park, Saturday, 31 July 2010)


Glenorchy Knights 0

Tilford Zebras 1 (Ladic 71)

HT: 0-0 Att: 100 Ref: S Collins

Glenorchy Knights: Peter - Marsh, Green, Grundy, Nowicki - Clay, Holmes, J Huigsloot (Vavoulas 79), Russell (Hope 76), Garth (Robb 83) - Koroma [Substitute not used: Grainger]

Tilford Zebras: Voss - Fagg, Telega, Muller, K Engels - Self (Hall 63), Cairns, Ladic, Welch - Walsh, Crosswell [Substitutes not used: Macgregor, L Engels, Kaden]


Glenorchy Knights were missing Josh Fielding and the suspended Corey Smith but they were untroubled in holding Tilford Zebras to a goalless opening half.

Seven minutes after the break, Ben Peter produced an excellent save to deny the Zebras’ Henry Fagg after a left-wing cross from Jayden Welch.

Two minutes later, Brendan Garth sent a long-range shot just over the Zebras’ bar.

On the hour, Peter again did well to deny Welch, whose awkward toe-poke almost propelled the ball beyond the keeper’s reach.

Peter’s error in the 71st minute gave Zebras their winner. Paul Cairns released Dwayne Walsh down the left and his cross was punched clear by Peter, but only to Jonathon Ladic, who rifled the ball home off the right-hand post.

Jacob Huigsloot was booked by Mr Collins in the 79th minute when he left the field without permission after being injured.

Knights used their three substitutes in an endeavour to turn the match, but it was to no avail.


· Glenorchy Knights coach, Nick Harrison, said:

“I thought it could have been 1-0 either way, but, unfortunately, it went the wrong way.

“They had better chances than we did. It’s disappointing that we lost 1-0, but we had quite a few players out tonight.

“I’m pleased with the way we played and the way the lads who came in did well. We had reserve team players come in.

“It would have been nice to get a result tonight to get second place and a home game in the finals series.

“But, we’ll keep going. They’ve got a couple of hard games left but we’ll keep going to the end and see what happens.”

· Tilford Zebras coach, Romeo Frediani, said:

“I thought it was good in patches.

“We actually knocked the ball around quite well and created a lot of opportunities in that first half.

“And, in the second half, too. We didn’t get on the end of things in the first half.

“All in all, I’m happy with the points.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Clare Street, Saturday, 31 July 2010)


New Town Eagles 3 (Menzie 56, McKeown 81, Cox 83)

Clarence United 0

HT: 0-0 Att: 60 Ref: B Kopra

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Clark, Anderson, Wass, Page (Quan 90) - Whitehall, Hudson, Menzie, Leszczynski (Cox 66), McKeown - Clamp [Substitutes not used: Fennell, Minty]

Clarence United: Sweeney - Toghill, Parker, Lewis, Lush - S McIntyre (Hardwick 77), Stevens, Rees, McMahon (Hoppitt 63) - Cripps (Reibel 86), L Huigsloot [Substitute not used: Maxwell]


The first half was a stalemate, with two long range efforts by Eagles’ Adam McKeown the only real chances.

Sam McIntyre came close to putting the visitors ahead 4 minutes into the second half, but his powerful drive from the right came back into play off the crossbar.

In the 55th minute, Ben Whitehall landed a lob on top of Clarence’s bar.

Eleven minutes after the break, Ethan Menzie netted his first goal of the season for Eagles. He beat Ben Parker on the left of the box and slotted the ball inside the far post.

Nine minutes from the end, McKewon made it 2-0 when he volleyed home David Cox’s downward header following Whitehall’s precise cross from the right.

Whitehall repeated the service in the 83rd minute and this time Cox nodded home to make it 3-0.

The result leaves Eagles 3 points behind fourth-placed Clarence and in with a chance of displacing the Eastern Shore side from a top-four spot.


· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“We changed our formation to a 4-5-1 today for a lot of reasons.

“It helped to keep the ball in midfield and to penetrate from the midfield onwards, I know it’s a short area, but that’s what we spoke about.

“Clarence looked a bit flat today. They had a hard game up at Burnie and travelled back and they lost two strikers, but our three goals were superb goals.

“I’m not going to take anything away from our boys. It was a good game and I hope we make the final-four.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

South Hobart 1 (K Kanakaris) b Taroona 0


South Hobart 8 (M Linhares Caires, N Wardle, G Downes 3, Yeong-Sun 2, N Cuthbertson) beat Taroona 0


South Hobart 6 (D Postma 2, F Kang 2, D Wooley, og) beat Taroona 0

Division One

Beachside 9 (Pennicott 3, Klasen 3, Pullen, Dunne, Davis) beat DOSA 0

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 6 (R Mills 4, A Gaskell, P Lenck) beat Southern FC 2


Nelson eastern Suburbs 5-1 Southern FC

Women's Division One

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 3-0 Beachside

South Hobart may have won the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League weeks ago, but there is still much to play for in the south of our island State.

Relegation has yet to be decided, and the fight for that important fourth spot is still on.

Taroona appear doomed, although they do have a game in hand over Olympia Warriors. That game is against champions South Hobart, at South Hobart, today.

Olympia were second-last going into the weekend and level on points with Taroona. They also had the advantage of a better goal-difference than Taroona.

A 3-2 away win over sixth-placed Kingborough Lions United on Saturday moved Olympia three points clear of Taroona and did wonders for their morale with just two matches remaining.

Goals by Brady Cronk and Chris Kumpulainen, and a penalty by Ben Phillips, did the trick for Olympia. Replies from Marcello Marchioli and Andrew Davies were not enough to save the Lions.

Fifth-placed New Town Eagles beat fourth-ranked Clarence United 3-0 at home at Clare Street on Saturday to move within three points of Clarence with two matches remaining.

A place in the top-four finals series is now within reach for Eagles, although their remaining games are against South Hobart and second-placed Tilford Zebras.

The first half at Clare Street was a dull affair, with long-range efforts by Eagles’ Adam McKeown being the only distinguishing features for the small crowd.

The second half sparked into life, however, when Clarence’s Sam McIntyre smacked a great shot from the right against the Eagles crossbar in the 49th minute of the match.

Eagles responded in the 54th minute when Andrew Clark’s long-range effort sailed just over the bar.

A minute later, Ben Whitehall landed a speculative lob on top of the Clarence crossbar and battle had clearly been joined.

Another minute and Eagles took the lead when diminutive midfielder Ethan Menzie left Clarence captain and central defender Ben Parker sprawled on the ground and cut in from the left before placing a perfect shot beyond keeper Cameron Sweeney and inside the far post.

Whitehall then came into his own on the right and Eagles scored two more goals within three minutes from his crosses to kill off the visitors’ challenge.

In the 81st minute, Whitehall floated a cross from the right to the far side of the box, where substitute David Cox nodded the ball back across goal for McKeown to volley home.

Two minute later, another perfect Whitehall cross from the right was headed home by Cox to complete the victory.

Tilford Zebras should finish second after beating third-placed Glenorchy Knights 1-0 at KGV Park on Saturday night. The sides had been level on points before the game and only a better goal-difference had put Zebras ahead.

It was an uninspiring match and the Knights were handicapped by the absence of key players Josh Fielding and Corey Smith.

After a goalless opening half, Zebras won the match in the 71st minute when former Knights player Jonathon Ladic scored.

Knights goalkeeper Ben Peter had saved his side with excellent saves up until then from Henry Fagg and Jayden Welsh, but it was his wayward punch that presented Ladic with the goal.

Paul Cairns had released Dwayne Walsh on the left and Peter punched his cross straight to the feet of Ladic, who hammered the ball straight back and in off the right-hand post.

In the Northern Premier League, Northern Rangers are just a win away from retaining their title after they downed second-last Launceston City 5-4 away on Saturday night. Devonport City lost ground after suffering a 3-1 defeat at home against Burnie United.

Somerset came back from 3-0 down to beat bottom-side Launceston United 4-3, while Ulverstone succumbed at home 2-0 to Riverside Olympic.