Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 118 guests and no members online

South Hobart completed their league program on Saturday with a 4-1 win over New Town Eagles and set a club record in the process, according to club statistician, Keith Roberts.

South Hobart have now gone 29 games in a row without a loss.

Hobart Zebras and Glenorchy Knights have their own impressive individual club records, too. Both went 26 games in a row without defeat.

Caledonians registered 27 wins in a row between 1955 and 1957.

What about the other side of the coin?

Launceston United have currently gone 49 games without a win and it is 25 games since they had a draw.

That smashes the previous record held by DOSA, who went 43 games without a win.

Metro also have an unenviable record in that they lost 32 games in a row between 1962 and 1964.

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (South Hobart, Saturday, 14 August 2010)


South Hobart 4 (A Brenna 4, T Roach 30, 54, J Lo 87)

New Town Eagles 1 (A McKeown 40)

HT: 2-1 Att: 120 Ref: C Phillips

South Hobart: Kruijver - Pennicott, D Brown, Ludford, Scott - Wook Bum Heo (D Cooper 68), Roach, Beecroft, Hickey (Mizael Linhares Caires 70) - Lo, Brennan (Downes 55) [Substitute not used: Moncur]

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Clark, Kent (Wass 61)), Anderson, Page - Whitehall, Hudson (Quan 59), Leszczynski, Cox - Clamp (Menzie 61), McKeown [Substitute not used: Minty]


New Town Eagles had no answer to a South Hobart side that was going for a record - 29 games in a row without defeat.

Eagles fell behind in only the 4th minute. Tom Roach outwitted a couple of defenders on the right and his cross was smashed home by Andy Brennan from close range at the near post.

Roach made it 2-0 on the half-hour with a firm shot from the edge of the box that flew in off the inside of the far left-hand post.

Adam McKeown pulled a goal back 5 minutes before the interval. Ben Whitehall produced his party trick by sending over an accurate cross from deep on the right and, with keeper Sam Kruijver and defender Hugh Ludford spoiling each other, McKeown broke clear and rolled the ball into an empty net.

Roach made it 3-1 nine minutes after the resumption when he headed home Wook Bum Heo’s corner from the left.

Only a timely save by Nathan Pitchford at the feet of Jonathon Lo, who had broken through for a one-on-one with the keeper, prevented South Hobart from extending their lead. The ball broke to Jonathon Lo, whose chip towards the far post was headed off the line by Mark Page.

Eagles still had some fight left and Whitehall shot just over the bar in the 62nd minute.

South Hobart’s Greg Downes, who had come on for Andy Brennan, was a constant danger and he sent in a glancing header from Liam Scott’s cross in the 67th minute which flew just wide.

Michael Anderson, one of Eagles’ best performers, was sent off 5 minutes from the end after collecting a second yellow card.

With three minutes remaining, Eagles failed to clear a corner from the right and Lo netted South’s fourth goal.

A minute later, Pitchford got down well to block Downes’s fierce drive from an angle on the left.

South Hobart were presented with the Premier League championship trophy after the game by Football Federation Tasmania’s CEO, John Boulos.


· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“I thought it was quite emphatic. We played well again. The movement of the ball was quick, especially through the midfield when the game got stretched.

“Two or three good goals again. The header from the corner was outstanding from Roach.

“I thought overall we played quite well. Nice composure on the ball. The passing and movement was good.

“We had a bit more penetration today, which is what we’ve been after.

“Quite happy with it. A good performance. A good work-out. Everybody’s in good dhape now for the finals.”

· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“We can talk about the game. I don’t think we deserved to go down 4-1, but we did have a few boys that were a bit out of touch.

“It’s a pity Chris Wass couldn’t start.

“We actually came to beat them today, but, in the end, they proved once again that they’re the best side in Hobart.

“I wish them all the best. I hope that next year all goes well and if I’m still with White Eagles that we can close the gap, not only White Eagles, but the rest of the teams.

“I wish Kenny and his staff all the best for the rest of the year.”

Division One

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 0-2 Metro (D Cowen 10, J Dawes 77 pen)


Nelson Eastern Suburbs 4-2 Metro

Women’s Division One

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 4-1 Metro


Central Coast Mariners 1 (M Simon) drew with Adelaide United 1 (I Fyffe)

[Detailed match reports and photos from weekend games still to come.]

Taroona were relegated from the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League after just one season in the top flight after they could only draw 1-1 away with third-placed Glenorchy Knights on Friday evening at KGV Park in their final league game of the season.

The draw moved them up a place to second-last and dumped Olympia Warriors to last place, but only for 24 hours.

The pressure was really on Olympia in their final game on Saturday night against second-placed Tilford Zebras, but they managed a 2-2 draw at KGV Park to move level with Taroona on points.

Olympia’s better goal-difference meant they were second-last and safe from relegation, to the great relief of their fans, who turned out in large numbers to watch their final league match against traditional rivals Zebras.

Olympia president George Mamacas was one of the most relieved people in attendance and he could be seen wiping his brow in relief after the final whistle as the Olympia fans streamed on to the pitch to mob their players and as sky rockets whizzed into the night sky and crackers exploded on the ground.

Taroona got off to a good start against Knights when Toby Dove put them ahead in the 33rd minute with a long-range strike that deceived Knights keeper Ben Peter and whizzed into the net.

Brendan Garth then fired against the Taroona woodwork and Josh Fielding nodded Jade Clay’s cross just wide as the Knights searched for an equaliser.

That came from Clay 7 minutes after the break when he battled furiously to retain possession on the right of the penalty area before netting with a low shot inside the far corner that caught keeper Robert Hortle flat-footed.

Both sides had chances before the end, one of the best falling to the Knights’ Matt Nowicki, who pulled his shot at an open goal just wide of the left-hand post.

It ended 1-1, however, and this meant Olympia had to earn at least a point against Zebras the following evening.

Olympia started in determined fashion and Alex Nandan fired them ahead in the 16th minute from Kosta Grillas’s left-wing cross, which eluded two defenders inside the box.

Zebras were level three minutes later when Jayden Welch found space down the left and crossed low to the far post, where Ben Crosswell smashed the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

Olympia goalkeeper Dmitri Nester rescued his side in the 24th minute when Dwayne Walsh broke clear on the right. Nester came off his line quickly to block at the striker’s feet and concede a corner.

Welch let Olympia off the hook on the half-hour when he broke through and had a clear sight of goal but skewed his effort wide.

Five minutes later, Chris Kumpulainen, who had squandered two efforts early in the match, put Olympia 2-1 up when he miskicked, but, in so doing, also fooled Zebras keeper Jason Voss. Kumpulainen managed to get around the keeper and atone for his error by reaching the ball and hammering it home.

Olympia substitute Warren Wadawu, who had replaced Youssef Mohamad after just 25 minutes, was proving a thorn in the Zebras’ side and his skills benefited Olympia greatly throughout the rest of the match.

Ricky Self netted in the 50th minute from Walsh’s low right-wing cross to make it 2-2 and Olympia survived a torrid second half to earn the point that saved them from the drop.

Substitute Nick Meredith almost gave them all three points, but his shot from the left late in the game came back off the woodwork.

League champions South Hobart set a new club record of 29 games without defeat when they beat New Town Eagles 4-1 on Saturday afternoon to finish 19 points ahead of second-placed Zebras.

Tom Roach netted twice and Andy Brennan and Jonathon Lo once each, while Adam McKeown replied for Eagles.

In the remaining match, goals by Joel Schuth, Tom McDonald and Damien Pearce gave Kingborough Lions United a 3-1 win over Clarence United, whose goal came from Luke Huigsloot.

Beachside must wait another week before wrapping up the Division One title after they were held to a 1-1 draw away at Olinda Grove by University.

Bernhard Klasen netted for Beachside and Julian Proud for University.