Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 111 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (South Hobart, Sunday, 11 April 2010)


South Hobart 5 (J Lo 20, 34, 68, K Kanakaris 28, S Hickey 54)

Taroona 1 (G Hamilton 43)

HT: 3-1 Att: 100 Ref: S Collins

South Hobart: Kruijver - Heerey (Pennicott 56), D Brown (Ludford 62), M Brown, Scott - Beecroft, Roach, Ladic (Upton 67), Hickey - Lo, Kanakaris [Substitute not used: Moncur] [Coach: Ken Morton]

Taroona: Nettlefold - Tubb, Johnson, Schaap, Darragh Carey (Wright 35) - Duncan Carey (Macgregor 70), Atkinson, Elliott, Dove - Hamilton, Luttmer (Douglas 83) [Substitute not used: Hortle] [Coach: Ben Horgan]


This victory put South Hobart back on top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder, a point ahead of second-placed Glenorchy Knights.

Taroona are second-last, three points ahead of bottom-side Olympia Warriors.

South were on the back foot for the first ten minutes as Taroona attacked relentlessly in an attempt to get off to a good start by taking the game to their opponents.

South made the occasional foray into Taroona’s defensive third and they did have the ball in the net in the 8th minute, but the effort was disallowed because of off-side.

South gradually wore their opponents down and took the lead in the 20th minute when Josh Heerey released Shae Hickey down the right and his cross was turned in by Jonathon Lo. Hickey was clearly off-side and the goal should not have counted.

South’s second goal, in the 28th minute, though, was a fine one. Tom Roach won the ball in midfield and his precise through-ball put Kostas Kanakaris through and he beat the advancing goalkeeper to make it 2-0.

Ladic set up Lo for his second and South’s third in the 34th minute.

South were terrorising Taroona down the flanks - particularly the right - and Taroona replaced their left-back, Darragh Carey, with Jordan Wright 10 minutes before the interval.

Lo, Hickey and Heerey had all missed good chances from close range, somehow shooting beyond the far post, and in the 37th minute Roach was unlucky when his shot hit the far left-hand post and the ball rebounded into the grateful arms of keeper Richard Nettlefold.

Two minutes later, Lo’s cross put Kanakaris through, but he somehow missed an open goal, shooting wide of the target.

Two minutes before the break, Taroona struck back with an excellent goal following a long clearance from Nettlefold. Luttmer controlled the ball and fed Garry Hamilton in the middle. He found a way past Daniel Brown and Heerey and drew Kruijver before shooting home to make it 3-1 at half-time.

South restored their three-goal buffer nine minutes after the resumption when Heerey floated a tempting cross in from the right. Nettlefold misjudged the flight of the ball badly and completely missed the cross, while Llewyn Tubb slipped at the vital moment, enabling Hickey to score an easy goal. Hickey gave Tubb a friendly tap on the head as if in commiseration as he trotted away for the kick-off.

Luttmer missed a good chance within a minute of the restart, while South coach Ken Morton decided to make some changes of personnel.

Heerey made way for Jim Pennicott in the 56th minute and Garry Upton came on for Ladic midway through the half.

Lo completed his hat-trick and the scoring in the 68th minute. Hickey crossed from the left and Kanakaris collided with Nettlefold, enabling Lo to shoot home as he also fell to the turf.

South continued to dominate the closing stages and Kanakaris went close on a couple of occasions when his pace got him into good positions, but his final touch was missing.

In the 86th minute, Kanakaris played a couple of neat one-twos with Hickey as Lo lured defenders away, but his shot flew into the side-netting.


· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“I thought we did well. We played some lovely attacking football and created lots of chances again and had a comfortable win 5-1.

“Credit’s got to be given to Taroona. They stuck to the principles of football. They passed the ball well and they were honest and you can’t ask for much more than that.

“But, I thought over the 90 minutes, we were a much stronger outfit.”

· Taroona coach, Ben Horgan, said:

“They got away from us in the first 30 minutes and probably had it stitched up by half-time.

“We just didn’t cope with their movement and pace. They got in behind us a lot.

“Three goals were always going to be a bit hard.

“We looked okay going forward, but they just opened up big holes in our defence.

“They were too good for us today.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

South Hobart 5 (J Lo 20, 34, 68, K Kanakaris 28, S Hickey 54) b Taroona 1 (G Hamilton 43)


South Hobart 6 (A Brennan 2, N Di Falco, C Williams, E Lovell, D Abbott) b Taroona 1 (A Edwards pen)

Southern Division One

Beachside 9 (B Pullen 2, C Shepherd, B Klasen, D Lowe, B Davies, A Reason, S Howarth, L Atkin) b DOSA 1 (K Dermoudy)

Nelson Eastern Suburbs 2-1 Southern FC

Division One Reserves

Beachside 4-1 DOSA (Wubetu Aboye)

Division Two

New Town Eagles 2 (R Leszczynski, B Michell) b Kingborough Lions United 1 (C White)

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Clare Street, Saturday, 10 April 2010)


New Town Eagles 0

Clarence United 0

Att: 100 Ref: K Barker

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Page, Wass, Louden (Kent 46), Clark - Whitehall, Menzie, Anderson, Vernon [(Strang 46) Clamp 86] - McKeown, Leszczynski [Substitute not used: Minty]

Clarence United: Sweeney - Toghill, Lewis, Parker, McMahon - S McIntyre (Ling 85), Malcolm (L Huigsloot 60), Cannamela, Hunt (Barron 73) - Cripps, Hamlett [Substitute not used: Sweetten]


This goalless draw dropped New Town Eagles a place to fifth on the ladder, while Clarence are sixth on goal-difference.

Both sides missed glorious chances and just weren’t sharp enough in front of goal.

Eagles’ Adam McKeown will have sleepless nights about his two misses. The first came in the 4th minute when he lobbed a simple chance over the bar, while the second, in the 71st minute, was on his wrong left foot, but he should have scored instead of shooting over the bar when facing an open goal.

Clarence captain Luke Cripps had similar experiences. In the 10th minute, he headed a right-wing cross from Sam McIntyre over the bar, while five minutes later he mis-kicked a low left-wing cross from Chris Hunt. Eagles’ Chris Wass also missed his clearance as the ball carried through to him, while McIntyre scuffed his shot as the ball reached him and it dribbled into Nathan Pitchford’s arms.

McIntyre was off his game and, in the 31st minute, he sent a weak shot straight at Pitchford after gaining possession when Cripps again mis-kicked a left-wing cross from Hunt.

Eagles brought on Shane Kent and Simon Strang at the interval in place of Steve Louden and Jamie Vernon. Strang’s introduction was a strange move as the youngster had played in the reserves curtain-raiser and also for the reserves on Thursday night in the 4-3 loss to the Tasmanian Institute of Sport. It came as no surprise when he had to be substituted in turn with four minutes remaining as he was clearly exhausted.

Midway through the second half, Hunt managed a snap shot from close range for Clarence after a corner, but he lifted the ball over the bar.

In the 69th minute, Cripps missed another sitter. Luke Huigsloot, who had replaced Grant Malcolm on the hour, put Cripps in with a chance after beating Wass on the right, but the Clarence captain hit the crossbar when it would surely have been easier to score.

Two minutes later came McKeown’s incredible miss, but Eagles went even closer in the 73rd minute when Strang got on the end of Alex Leszczynski’s cross from the right but struck the post with his shot. Perhaps he just didn’t have the energy to apply full power to his strike.


· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“You wouldn’t think that Clarence have lost a couple of games by four or five goals.

“They fought well, and our lads fought well, too.

“I think both sides were below par.

“We gained a point, but it was our home ground and maybe we should have gained three.

“Having said that, I think a draw was deserved by both sides.

“I think we had more chances. They hit the woodwork and we hit the woodwork. McKeown could have had a couple for us today, but it was bad luck.

“We tired a little bit, but I’m happy with the lads and we’ll just keep on going and see what happens.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

New Town Eagles 0-0 Clarence United

Kingborough Lions United 2-1 Olympia Warriors

(Freeman, McDonald) (Wadawu)


New Town Eagles (M Fennell 2, S Strang) 3-3 Clarence United (N Rees pen, J Stevens, A Nandan)

Kingborough Lions United (M Bremner pen) 1-0 Olympia Warriors


Kingborough Lions United 5-3 Olympia Warriors

New Town Eagles 1-7 Clarence United

Glenorchy Knights (A Lawler) 1-4 Tilford Zebras (E Engels 2, N MacDonald, D Terry)

Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League

Prospect Knights 2-1 Riverside Olympia

Burnie United 6-2 Somerset

Northern Rangers 4-2 Launceston United

Southern Division One

Hobart United 0-2 Metro (W Hawkins, R Thurley)

[A brawl involving players and spectators erupted late in the match after a player from each side (Metro's Kye McQueen and United's Akuek Guot) was sent off. United coach Mark Broadbent described it as ‘a horrible experience and not good for the game at all”.]

FFT Under-15s 4-5 University

Division One Reserves

Hobart United 1-3 Metro


Hobart United 0-3 Metro

Division Four

DOSA 2-5 Woodbridge (Dale Byrne 3, Lucas Brouwer, Tony Stocks)

2010 FFA National Junior Championships for Under-13 boys (Canberra)

ACT 1-4 Tasmania