Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 127 guests and no members online

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Clare Street, Sunday, 18 April 2010)


New Town Eagles 2 (A Leszczynski 46, A McKeown 63)

Tilford Zebras 3 (B Crosswell 12, 90+4, D Walsh 55)

HT: 0-1 Att: 80 Ref: C Phillips

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Page, Wass (Menzie 86), Louden, Clark - Whitehall, Anderson, Kent, Vernon - McKeown, Leszczynski [Substitutes not used: Clamp, Fennell, Minty] [Coach: George Krambousanos]

Tilford Zebras: Kaden - Muller, Telega, Smith, K Engels (P Cairns 65) - Hall, Welch, Self, L Engels - Crosswell, Walsh (Young 86) [Substitutes not used: Cox, Voss] [Coach: Romeo Frediani]


New Town Eagles threw this match away through poor finishing.

Much of the credit for Tilford Zebras’ victory must go to goalkeeper Troy Kaden, who saved four one-on-one situations.

And, another star of the match was Zebras’ Ben Crosswell, who scored twice and made the other goal for Dwayne Walsh.

Crosswell’s winner in the fourth minute of stoppage time at the end of the match was with his weaker right foot, which made it even more noteworthy.

Eagles’ first chance came in the 7th minute when a poor back-pass by Kurt Engels let Ben Whitehall in, but his shot was blocked by Kaden and the rebound was bundled out of play by Whitehall while under pressure from Kaden and Kurt Engels.

In the 11th minute, Eagles goalkeeper Nathan Pitchford produced a magnificent save to deny Ricky Self, tipping his goal-bound shot over the bar for a corner. Ironically, it was from this corner that Zebras took the lead. Matt Hall floated the corner in from the left and Crosswell scored to give the visitors the lead.

Eagles missed their second good chance in the 27th minute when Shane Kent played a neat one-two with Adam McKeown on the edge of the box, but again, Kaden was up to the task and produced a fine save when it really should have been a goal for the home side.

Walsh had a good chance for Zebras on the half-hour, following a cross from the right, and he should have done much better than merely direct a tame header straight at Pitchford.

Two minutes later, Kaden was at his best again as he denied McKeown in a one-on-one with the Eagles striker.

In the 34th minute, Crosswell lost the ball in midfield to Kent, who slipped it through to Alex Leszczynski for a clear run at goal, but he incredibly shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

Five minutes later, Kaden did well to save from Whitehall. The ball rebounded to Jamie Vernon, who shot wide when he might have scored.

The first half ended with Walsh firing wide after the ball had rebounded to him off the back of Eagles midfielder Michael Anderson.

Eagles coach George Krambousanos must have had some special words for his charges at half-time as they were level at 1-1 within 15 seconds of the resumption. A long ball forward straight from the kick-off went to Zebras captain Andrew Telega, who tried to head it back to Kaden.

The header was too soft, however, and Leszczynski nipped in and lobbed the ball over the keeper and it bounced once before crossing the line for the equaliser.

Zebras regained the lead in the 55th minute when Crosswell mesmerised a couple of defenders down the left before sending over a perfect cross which Walsh hammered into the net to make it 2-1.

Eagles refused to give in and they again drew level when, in the 63rd minute, McKeown beat Kaden to a cross and glanced the ball into the net from the edge of the box.

Ten minutes from the end, Hall shot wide for Zebras, while at the other end, seconds later, McKeown’s header put Leszczynski in the clear, but he also fired wide.

Four minutes into stoppage time, Crosswell gained possession in midfield and went on a diagonal run from left to right just outside the box before turning and planting a right-foot shot across Pitchford and inside the far left-hand post.

It was the last kick of the match and there was not even time to re-start the game. It doesn’t come much closer than that.


· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“I think we should have won the game by about 6-2, yet one player, and we spoke about that at half-time, one player destroyed us.

“What can you do? We had plenty of chances but didn’t put them away again.

“Good luck to the Zebras. I mean, that’s their strength. That’s their full strength.

“I’ll say it again, we should have won by about three or four goals.

“I can’t say anymore. Congratulations to Zebras.”

· Tilford Zebras coach, Romeo Frediani, said:

“I’m glad we got three points in the end.

“I thought in the first half there were patches where we did really well. We knocked the ball around and we hit each others' feet and there were some good passages of play there.

“But, those two goals in the second half really let them back in the game.

“After our second goal, we really should have finished them off with another couple.

“But, I’ll take the goal at the end.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (Wentworth Park, Saturday, 17 April 2010)


Clarence United 0

South Hobart 2 (T Roach 10, J Lo 86)

HT: 0-1 Att: 80 Ref: K Barker

Clarence United: Sweeney - Toghill, Parker, Lewis, McMahon - S McIntyre, Stevens (Barron 68), Cannamela, Malcolm (Kunwar 75), L Huigsloot (Hamlett 58) - Cripps [Substitute not used: Sweetten]

South Hobart: Kruijver - Scott, M Brown, D Brown, Heerey - Beecroft, Upton, Roach, Hickey (Abbott 62) - Kanakaris (Wook Bum Heo 53), Lo [Substitute not used: Pennicott]


This win put South Hobart back on top in the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League competition, a point ahead of second-placed Glenorchy Knights, while Clarence United are third last.

With the sound of the booming surf at the nearby beach replacing the Mexican Wave and the sound of a huge crowd at a packed stadium, the visitors set about their task straight from the kick-off. They spread the ball wide and attacked down the flanks, but it was difficult to penetrate the massed ranks of the home side.

Liam Scott was in an adventurous frame of mind and kept his composure despite constant heckling from one Clarence supporter in particular, which reminded one of the old Heckle and Jeckle cartoon featuring the two magpies. He was seated in the top row of a temporary stand and was obviously Heckle, but I couldn’t see Jeckle anywhere.

Scott put a shot over the bar from Josh Heerey’s cross after just four minutes.

In the 10th minute, Tom Roach made it 1-0 for South Hobart with a shot out of the dark that may have taken a deflection and deceived Clarence keeper Cameron Sweeney. There was little crowd reaction, and not even the booming surf changed its rhythm.

Clarence’s first chance came after 16 minutes when Luke Cripps fired into the side-netting.

Four minutes later, Sam McIntyre attacked down the right and sent a low shot across the face of goal. He had no team-mates in advanced positions, however, and the ball stayed in play and was taken up-field on the right by South’s Heerey.

Luke Huigsloot won a corner in the 24th minute with a back-header that was off target and nothing came of the set-piece.

Five minutes before the break, Jonathon Lo drove a free-kick over the bar, while in the 42nd minute, a shot by Shae Hickey threatened to sneak in but Sweeney got down at his near post to block.

Kostas Kanakaris received a needless yellow card in the 43rd minute when he impeded Sweeney as the keeper tried to punt the ball up-field.

The first half ended with Clarence’s Grant Malcolm sending a free-kick wide of the target.

Six minutes after the resumption, Sam Kruijver was brought into the action as he blocked the ball at McIntyre’s feet.

Kanakaris was replaced by Korean import Wook Bum Heo, who proved a lively customer and was cautioned late in the match.

Ben Hamlett came on for Clarence’s Luke Huigsloot just short of the hour mark and he was to have an influence on events before the end, as was South’s David Abbott, who replaced Hickey in the 62nd minute.

Youngster Andy Barron replaced Joseph Stevens for Clarence in the 68th minute, while Dipendra Kunwar was introduced by Clarence for Malcolm in the 75th minute. Kunwar had recently left Olympia Warriors.

All these substitutions in a matter of minutes were designed to liven things up as a stalemate had developed on the park, but it was an explosive incident in the 77th minute, involving one of the substitutes, that provided the only real excitement.

Hamlett was involved in a challenge with South’s Garry Upton, who took umbrage and head-butted the youngster in the face. Mr Barker sent Upton off and Hamlett needed treatment to a facial injury. When he returned to the action, he had a bandage on his nose and face.

The send-off resulted in a free-kick for Clarence and McIntyre pumped the ball towards the far post. Kruijver parried the ball and it rolled loose to Cripps, who slammed it inside the far corner of the net, but Clarence’s glee was cut short by the assistant referee’s raised flag and the effort was ruled off-side.

Six minutes from the end, Clarence had another good chance when a Cripps free-kick was dropped by Kruijver, but Ben Parker’s attempted shot was weak and came back off the post to be gathered in by Kruijver.

With four minutes remaining and Clarence all out in attack seeking an equaliser, they were caught by a sucker punch. David Abbott played a long ball out of defence from the left and Lo was left with the easy task of controlling and placing his shot past Sweeney to kill off the game.

For the statistically minded, Clarence had 7 shots to South Hobart’s 8, while both sides committed 20 fouls. Both sides had 3 corners and 2 yellow cards. South had one red card. Clarence were off-side once (when it really did count) and South Hobart four times.

It's interesting, too, that the goals came from the two players that returned to South Hobart after spending last season with Somerset. I guess it's just what the doctors ordered.


· Clarence United technical director, Franco Previdi, said:

“They scored and we didn’t. We had a goal disallowed. I think it was a goal and we had at least fifty people there and they reckon it was a goal. I don’t know what the linesman was thinking.

“But, having said that, I’m not going to argue about that decision. I mean, they had shots at goal, too, in the second half and they scored and we didn’t.

“I think, overall, a draw would have been a fair result. They had a lot of possession, no doubt, but that was our plan. If you noticed, with about 20 minutes to go, we went to a 4-3-3 instead of the defensive formation we had all game before that. We’ll think about different tactics the next time.

“Good luck to South Hobart. They put the ball in the net.”

· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“It’s three points. I thought we controlled the game obviously without a lot of penetration.

“You come away from home and you expect the home team to have a go at you, but they sat back and defended, had a lot of bodies behind the ball and made life difficult for us.

“Our lads persevered and we got a couple of good balls in behind them in the second half and one in particular, from Davie Abbott to Johnny Lo for the second goal, which put it beyond doubt.

“Credit to them for the perseverance, and credit to Clarence as well for defending well for a long period of time.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (South Hobart, Saturday, 17 April 2010)


Olympia Warriors 1 (A Hedge 27)

Glenorchy Knights 4 (J Barabara 24, D White 36, 38 pen, A Koroma 72)

HT: 1-3 Att: 120 Ref: S Collins

Olympia Warriors: Nester - Wakefield, McCallum, A Hedge, Wiggins (Mohamad 75) - Meredith, Phillips, Wadawu, Kumpulainen - Cronk, Grillas (Percy 27) [Substitutes not used: Howell, Farrugia] [Coach: Chris Hey]

Glenorchy Knights: Peter - Green (Mrzyk 79), Grundy (Smith 46), Holmes, J Huigsloot - Clay, Fielding (Kamba 53), Dzelalija, White - Barabara, Koroma [Substitute not used: Vavoulas] [Coach: Eamonn Kelly]


Olympia have a good record against the Knights and there was an air of expectation and optimism amongst the Warrior supporters before this match.

This soon evaporated, however, as the Knights went on the offensive and Olympia were fortunate to escape unscathed in the 19th minute when Amadu Koroma broke clear down the left and rounded the keeper before knocking the ball low across the goalmouth from a difficult angle. Luckily for Olympia, none of Koroma’s team-mates were up in support and Ben Phillips had time to clear.

The Knights pressure soon told, however, and they took the lead in the 24th minute following Daniel White’s corner from the left. Olympia goalkeeper Dmitri Nester could only palm the ball on and Alex Holmes nodded it back into the middle for Juma Barabara to score.

Jacob Huigsloot received a yellow card in the 26th minute for a foul and it was from the resultant free-kick that Olympia drew level. Nick Meredith floated the free-kick into the box, where Knights defenders Huigsloot and Holmes impeded each other as they tried to clear. The ball fell to Brady Cronk, whose shot was parried by goalkeeper Ben Peter, but only to Adam Hedge, who netted easily.

Kosta Grillas, the striker upon whom Olympia’s hopes rested, limped off a minute later after aggravating a hamstring injury which had side-lined him for the previous two games.

It was a bad blow for the Warriors, but they should have taken the lead in the 34th minute when an astute pass by Meredith found Warren Wadawu in a one-on-one with the keeper. The Zimbabwean’s shot was feeble, however, and a grateful Peter easily collected the ball without having to extend himself.

Two minutes later, it was the Knights who regained the lead. Jade Clay’s long throw-in from the left was flicked on by Koroma and, when Nester could only flap at the ball and force it towards the far post, White appeared from nowhere like an express train and he hammered a bullet-like shot into the roof of the net to make it 2-1 for the visitors.

In the 38th minute, it was 3-1, White converting a penalty conceded by Hedge, who was adjudged to have handled Huigsloot’s powerful drive.

The second half began with Olympia’s Ben Phillips desperately unlucky not to score when his shot from the edge of the box rattled Peter’s crossbar.

Olympia were denied a penalty just 5 minutes into the second period when Wadawu played Chris Kumpulainen into the box. He was brought down by Tony Dzelalija, but Mr Collins waved play on.

Knights regained their composure quickly and in the 51st minute Holmes sent a header from White’s cross narrowly wide.

Olympia came back strongly and Kumpulainen shot wide in the 55th minute, while a minute later, Wadawu fired straight at Peter. Shortly after that, Phillips forced Peter to make a splendid diving save.

The Knights were not finished either, with Nester turning a Huigsloot header against the woodwork and White directing an easy header from close range over the bar.

Eighteen minutes from the end, Koroma made it 4-1 when he converted White’s cross from the left and that knocked the stuffing out of Olympia, who had to endure their fifth defeat of the league season from six outings.


· Olympia Warriors central-defender Rory McCallum, said:

“We played great. In the second half we came out and had a few chances and we almost scored. We were unlucky not to find the back of the net.

“We held them off for the first half as well, so it was pretty good.

“I think we may have turned a corner. Last week we played much better than before and we just have to keep going now.”

· Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“It wasn’t pretty, but it was three points. It was one of those games, you know. We never got into it and we never played football like we normally do.

“It was disappointing. We won 4-1, but it was just the way we won. I think we stooped to their level of football. You know, it was aerial ping pong for the first half. We tried to string a couple of passes together, but I don’t think we could have scored in a brothel today.

“We scored four goals, but it wasn’t pretty. And, losing Fish [Fielding] and Googsie [Grundy] at half-time...they had commitments, and I thank them for at least turning up for the first half of it. As soon as they went we lost shape and as a result we were all over the place. We can’t afford to be doing that against the better teams.

“We got away with it today, but against the better teams we may not get away with it.

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

New Town Eagles 2 (A Leszczynski 46, A McKeown 63) lt Tilford Zebras 3 (B Crosswell 12, 90+4, D Walsh 55)

Taroona 0-3 Kingborough Lions United (G Freeman 19, M Marchioli 22 pen, R Bevan 26)


New Town Eagles 0-5 Tilford Zebras

Taroona 0-4 Kingborough Lions United


New Town Eagles 3-3 Tilford Zebras

Taroona 2-4 Kingborough Lions United

Southern Division One

Southern FC 0-5 Hobart United

Division Four

South Hobart 4 (D Jones 3, Hyo Suk Jin) b Peninsula Pirates 2

Woodbridge SC 8 (Jack Turner 4, Rob Howes 2, John Owen 1, Ryan Hartshorn 1) b Barnestoneworth 1

Metro 2 (John King, Matt O'Brien) b Southern FC 0

Women's Division One

Metro 1 (Erica Hutchinson) b New Town Eagles 0