Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 185 guests and no members online

Jonathon Ladic has signed for Tilford Zebras and will play for them against his former club South Hobart on Saturday.

Ladic, a midfielder, began his senior career with Zebras before transferring to Glenorchy Knights.

He had a brief spell in Melbourne last season before returning to Tasmania and South Hobart.

Matthew Hedge has moved from Olympia Warriors to Taroona.

Hedge, a utility player, has been unable to get a regular game at Olympia and this has prompted the move.

David Abbott has transferred from South Hobart to Taroona.

Abbott, a left-sided striker or midfielder, has mostly been used from the bench by South Hobart this season.


Bayern Munich qualified for the European Champions League final after beating Olympique Lyonnaise 3-0 in France this morning (Tasmanian time) in the second leg of their semi-final.

Bayern won 4-0 on aggregate and will be seeking their fifth European Champions League (or European Cup) title in the final at the Bernabeu in Madrid.

Croatian Ivica Olic, 30, netted a hat-trick in this morning’s match.

Lyonnaise’s cause was not helped by the dismissal of their captain, Cris.

The other semi-final, between Barcelona and Inter Milan will be played tomorrow morning (Tasmanian time) at the Nou Camp in Barcelona.

Inter lead 3-1 from the first leg at the San Siro.

Adelaide United lost 1-0 at home at Hindmarsh Stadium this evening to Shandong Luneng in their Group H match in the Asian Champions League.

But, Adelaide still finished on top of Group H because Sanfrecce Hiroshima beat Pohang Steelers 4-3 in Japan the same evening.

Finishing top of the group gives Adelaide hosting rights for their first match in the final-16 section of the competition on 12 May.

It was the third game in a row that Adelaide has failed to score. They dominated possession and had four times as many shots as their Chinese opponents. Shandong managed just one corner, whereas Adelaide had at least half a dozen.

These two sides first met in the Asian Champions League in 2007, but captain Travis Dodd was the only Adelaide player to have featured then.

Five of the Shandong side played in that 2007 match.

Shandong came to Adelaide without five of their first-team regulars tonight and won with a counter-attack and clinical finish in the 53rd minute by Li Wei.

Shandong gained possession in their own half and in two short moves sent Li Wei away on the right. He cut inside and beat Robbie Cornthwaite before unleashing a magnificent left-foot shot from the edge of the box beyond Eugene Galekovic and inside the far post.

Cassio was Adelaide’s best player, while Marcos Flores also showed some superb skills.

Adelaide’s first chance came on the quarter-hour when Cassio crossed from the left, only to see Sergio Van Dijk loop his header onto the top of the net.

The home side might have had a penalty in the 24th minute when Matthew Leckie was tripped inside the box, but the referee from Bahrain waved play on.

A minute later, Shandong created an excellent chance when their Lebanon international Roda Antar fed Li Wei inside the box, but the striker directed his shot straight at Galekovic.

In the 29th minute, Paul Reid went on a run through the middle, but his shot, which took the slightest of deflections, sailed high over the bar. The corner came to nothing.

Leckie was cautioned in the 38th minute and will miss the next game.

Three minutes after the interval, Adelaide squandered the chance for an equaliser in a goalmouth scrimmage, the ball eventually being cleared by Zheng Zheng.

Five minutes later, Shandong took the lead and Adelaide were on the back foot and wondering what happened.

A minute after the goal, Dodd had a half-chance, but his half-volley with the outside of the right foot from a left-wing cross cleared the bar.

Leckie drove wide of the far right-hand post in the 57th minute as Adelaide hunted desperately for an equaliser.

On the hour, Cassio crossed another beautiful ball into the penalty area, but when Flores’s header was blocked, the ball fell to Reid, who powered his shot wide.

The irrepressible Cassio floated another dangerous cross from the left towards the far post in the 70th minute, but the chance went begging when Dodd headed the ball into team-mate Van Dijk from close range.

Adelaide had two more chances, Dodd shooting wide in the 71st minute and Cassio having a firm free-kick well saved by the visitors’ goalkeeper, Yang Cheng.

Shandong’s Li Wei, Gao Di and Antar were booked, as were Adelaide’s Leckie, Adam Griffiths and Van Dijk.

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (South Hobart, Sunday, 25 April 2010)


South Hobart 3 (K Kanakaris 2, 25 pen, S Hickey 31)

New Town Eagles 1 (A McKeown 8)

HT: 3-1 Att: 120 Ref: S Collins

South Hobart: Kruijver - D Brown, M Brown (Abbott 60), Scott - Wook Bum Heo (Pennicott 43), Hickey, Roach, Ladic, Beecroft - Kanakaris, Lo [Substitutes not used: King, Moncur] [Coach: Ken Morton]

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Page (Clamp 75), Wass, Louden (Kent 46), Clark - Whitehall, Anderson, Menzie, Vernon (Strang 46) - McKeown, Leszczynski [Substitute not used: Minty] [Coach: George Krambousanos]


This win gave South Hobart a 4-point lead over second-placed Glenorchy Knights, who were idle this weekend.

Only good goalkeeping by Eagles’ Nathan Pitchford kept the score down in the first half as South pounded the visitors’ goal.

There was action aplenty both on and off the pitch.

On the pitch, South Hobart goalkeeper Sam Kruijver put two of his own team-mates out of action at various times. In the first half, he kneed centre-back Matthew Brown in the ribs while going for a high ball, but Brown was able to continue after treatment, although he was replaced after an hour by David Abbott.

In the second half, Kruijver laid out team-mate Daniel Brown, but he was able to play on after treatment and saw out the match.

There were also some crunching tackles that resulted in yellow cards for Eagles’ Andrew Clark and Shane Kent. Ben Whitehall and Alex Leszczynski were also cautioned.

South striker Kostas Kanakaris came in for some particularly brutal treatment and had stud marks on his back and side to show for it.

There was much work for South’s physio, Natsuki Futumura, to do.

South Hobart were not averse to some heavy physical treatment of their opponents, either, but their complement of players emerged unblemished.

Off the pitch, referee Mr Collins had to lecture Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, while Eagles manager Peter Wass was expelled from the bench and banished to the stands.

Eagles began the match with a flurry and Jamie Vernon almost scored in the opening minute when he managed to shoot by wrapping his leg around the torso of Daniel Brown. The effort was blocked and Kruijver gained possession and sent South into attack through Shae Hickey.

Hickey raced down the left wing and cut inside before shooting. Pitchford could only parry and Kanakaris, following up, scored.

Eagles were level in the 8th minute. The brave and elusive Adam McKeown beat Kruijver to Alex Leszczynski’s lob and fired past the keeper for his seventh goal of the season to make it 1-1. It was only the third goal that South have conceded, the other two coming against Taroona and Tilford Zebras.

South were awarded a penalty in the 25th minute when Mark Page leaned all over Jonathon Lo and eventually brought him down. Kanakaris slotted home the spot-kick, sending Pitchford the wrong way.

The goal of the match, and one of the best of the season so far, came in the 31st minute. Kanakaris’s corner from the left was met at the far corner of the box by Hickey, who smashed an unstoppable first-time volley with his right foot past a helpless Pitchford to give South a 3-1 lead


Krambousanos rang the changes at the break and replaced Vernon and Steve Louden with Shane Kent and Simon Strang.

Eagles managed to keep South scoreless in the second half, but they could not find a goal either and it was South who collected a valuable three points.

The loss dropped Eagles a place to sixth on the ladder.


· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“I thought we had enough chances in the first half to put the game to bed.

“Pitchford was outstanding and made some big saves, and he made another big save near the end when we could have gone 4-1 up.

“In the second half, they came at us. They knocked a lot of long balls and put us under pressure, and they battled and scrapped for everything and made a good game of it.

“As far as we’re concerned, it was a good result.”

· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“I’m not going to say much about decision making by certain people, but take that penalty away and I think the game is on.

“If a team is going to beat them this year, I think it’ll be us. I really do.

“In the second half, they didn’t score. That’s when they explode sometimes and score three or four goals.

“We didn’t sit back. We attacked. I threw three up the front there for the last 15 minutes.

“I’m proud of my boys and I think Kenny is proud of his boys, too, and well done to him.”

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

South Hobart 3 (K Kanakaris 2, 25 pen, S Hickey 31) b New Town Eagles 1 (A McKeown 8)


South Hobart 11 (A Brennan 4, E Lovell 3, G Downes 2, A King, D Cooper pen) b New Town Eagles 0


South Hobart 5-0 New Town Eagles

Southern Division One

Hobart United 1-5 Beachside (Pullen 2, Shepherd, Pennicott, Direen)

University 5-1 Southern FC