Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 86 guests and no members online

Taroona moved back to the top of the Division One ladder when they won their final league match of the season 3-0 away to fifth-placed Hobart United at Pontville today.

Taroona are two points ahead of second-placed Metro, who play their final game at home at North Chigwell against Hobart United next Saturday.

Metro need a win to finish in first place and gain promotion to the Premier League.

Hobart United started well and Akuel Guot missed a good chance in the 2nd minute from Justin Letiko’s left-wing cross.

Hamish Macgregor and Hugo Luttmer then had good chances for Taroona, but in the 28th minute, United was again unlucky when Peter Otto hit the bar with a free-kick.

Taroona took the lead in the 32nd minute when Luttmer forced the ball home after a Marcus Atkinson free-kick.

Central defender Ben Schaap made it 2-0 in the 38th minute following a corner from the left.

Taroona forced a fine save from United keeper Nathan Grandin early in the second half before Ruaidhri Carey added the third with a blistering shot in the 53rd minute.

United continued to threaten on the break, but good defending by Cian Carey and Schaap kept them scoreless.

Taroona were the better side, however, and Toby Dove almost scored a fourth for the visitors before the end.

“The pressure is on Metro now, but it’s out of our hands and I’d rather be in their shoes than ours,” said Taroona coach, Ben Horgan.

South Hobart and Clarence United will meet in next Friday’s grand final of the State-wide Top-Four series.

South Hobart beat a nine-man Glenorchy Knights 4-2 in a penalty shoot after the sides were locked together at 0-0 after extra-time.

Clarence United downed Hobart Zebras 5-4 in a goal feast that also needed extra-time to find a winner.

South Hobart dominated the match against Knights but simply could not score despite having some glorious chances.

Amadu Koroma should have put Knights in front in the opening minutes, but his shot from an acute angle was blocked by South keeper Mark Moncur.

For the remainder of the match, it was all South Hobart, but poor finishing and resolute defending by the Knights ensured the game remained scoreless.

Kostas Kanakaris hit a post for South, while Josh Heerey missed an absolute sitter set up for him by Kanakaris.

Knights had Mynonge Kamba sent off in the 51st minute for a foul on Daniel Brown, but the Knights held on with 10 men.

They were reduced to 9 players in the 72nd minute when goalkeeper Alex Tatnell was injured while preventing a shot from Seth Otte.

Having used all their substitutes, outfield player Tom Sherman went in goal and produced some brilliant saves in the remaining period of normal time, and again in the half-hour of extra-time.

Penalty misses in the shoot-out by Corey Smith and Alex Holmes cost Knights the match as only Jade Clay and Breno Dos Santos scored for them, while Bart Beecroft, Hugh Ludford, Liam Scott and David Cooper netted for South.

Clarence and Zebras squandered numerous easy chances but still scored nine goals between them in the 120 minutes.

Ben Hamlett put Clarence in front in the 24th minute, but substitute Adam Young equalised in the 61st minute with his first touch.

Dwayne Walsh gave Zebras a 2-1 lead in the 70th minute, but an equaliser by Chris Hunt six minutes from the end took the game into extra-time.

Four goals in six minutes in the first period of extra-time made for a tense finish.

Two goals by Luke Cripps put Clarence 4-2 ahead, but two goals by Jayden Welch made it 4-4 with just 13 minutes remaining.

Hamlett, who had an excellent game, hit Clarence’s winner in the 106th minute when he was left unmarked inside the box and collected Andy Barron’s low cross from the right.

In Division One, two goals by Bernhard Klasen and one each by Colin Shepherd, Ben Davis and Sam McDonald gave third-placed Beachside a 5-1 win over wooden-spooner Christian United.

Hyundai A-League

Adelaide United 1-0 Central Coast Mariners

Cassio 33

(Hindmarsh Stadium Att: 10,262)

South Hobart will be without midfielder Gary Upton and defender James Pennicott when they face Glenorchy Knights in Saturday’s State-wide Top-four series semi-finals at KGV Park at 2.30pm.

But, midfielder Daniel Brown should be fit to resume.

“We’ve had some difficult games against Knights this year, but we’ve also played well against them at times,” said South Hobart coach, Ken Morton.

“For me, it’s another game and one where we have to go and show our qualities.

“We’re well and truly aware of their strengths, but at the same time we’ve got to pick holes in their weaknesses.

“They’re a strong side, a forceful side, and they play the game in a good spirit and we’re well aware of their capabilities.”

Knights will be missing central defender Anthony Grundy, who injured his back in training last Sunday.

Corey Smith will be included after he returned from suspension in the win against Devonport City.

“We have an 18-man squad to choose from and I’ll have to narrow that down to 15,” said Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly.

“We’ve trained very hard for the last week or so and the dedication from the boys has been brilliant.”

The other semi-final is between Tilford Zebras and Clarence United at 12.30pm.

Zebras will be without defender Brayden Pace, who is unavailable, but the experienced Ryan Smith returns to the team.

“This will be our sixth stoush with them this year and, obviously, they’re on a high after beating Northern Rangers twice in their past two games,” said Zebras coach, Nick Lapolla.

“We’ve got to be wary of them, but not worry about them too much.

“We’ve got to get our game plan and our counter-attacks right and we should be okay.

“We’ll treat them with respect because it won’t be an easy game.”

There is some doubt about the availability of Zebras striker Ben Crosswell as he may be in Melbourne.

Clarence should be at full strength but will need to improve their finishing to be sure of victory.

They have played some delightful soccer, but must take the chances that come their way.