Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 85 guests and no members online

Clarence United, Kingborough Lions United and Taroona have yet to name their senior coaches for the 2010 Premier League season.

My bet is that all three will retain their coaches from the past season, namely Andrew Brown (Clarence), Geoff Freeman (Kingborough) and Ben Horgan (Taroona).

The three men did the job required.

Brown took his team from fourth place to win the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy and the State championship.

Freeman kept Kingborough Lions away from the wolf’s door, namely relegation.

And, Horgan won promotion to the Premier League for his club.

Now that we are into November, some clubs will commence pre-season training in the next couple of weeks, so it will be interesting to see player movements.

One that I do know of is teenager Jayden Hey, who will move from First Division Northern Suburbs DOSA to Premier League outfit Olympia, where his father, Chris, is the new coach.

Hey Jnr is also an accomplished athlete and his speed was quite evident in football.

Athletics training is obviously doing him a world of good in his football career and it will be interesting to see how he copes at a higher level.

* * * * *

No-one likes to be substituted.

Originally, no substitutes were allowed in the game, but we have now moved to the situation where three are permitted.

Ronaldinho’s reaction to being substituted for AC Milan in the 2-2 draw with Napoli last weekend was an eye-opener.

The famous smile was gone and he brushed aside the attempted handshake from the man replacing him.

Not only that, but he snubbed coach Leonardo as well.

In fact, he did more than that. As Leonardo, himself a former and very accomplished Brazilian international, went to shake hands, Ronaldinho brushed his coach aside and actually dropped his shoulder and bumped him as he stormed to the dugout.

It will be interesting to see if Ronaldinho faces disciplinary action for his behaviour.

And, Rafael Benitez, the Liverpool manager, has been at it again.

Liverpool lost their fifth match of the season on Saturday, going down 3-1 away to Fulham.

They went 1-0 down before Fernando Torres pulled them level.

And, what was his reward for equalising? Benitez substituted him immediately.

Torres was far from happy and showed it, while Fulham were inspired and went on to win.

To add insult to injury, Liverpool also had two players sent off.

Melbourne Victory stayed in second place on the A-League ladder after beating fifth-placed Perth Glory 2-1 away before a crowd of 10,035 at ME Bank Stadium in Perth this afternoon.

Victory have 24 points and is one point adrift of leaders Sydney FC and four points ahead of third-placed Gold Coast United.

An own-goal by Chris Coyne in the 6th minute, following a shot by Carlos Hernandez, put the visitors in front.

Mile Sterjovski equalised in the 17th minute when he controlled a ball into the box from Jamie Coyne and turned past Kevin Muscat before firing past Glenn Moss.

Hernandez hit the winner in the 67th minute after Archie Thompson put Nathan Alasi away on the right and the youngster picked out his team-mate unmarked at the far post.

Sydney FC stayed on top of the A-League ladder after beating Wellington Phoenix 3-1 at the Sydney Football Stadium this afternoon.

Sydney led 3-0 at half-time and survived a strong comeback by the New Zealanders in the second half.

Wellington missed a twice-taken penalty, which could have put them back in the game.

Sydney substitute John Aloisi missed three good chances in the second half which would have killed off the Phoenix challenge.

He hit the post from a Steve Corica cross and missed two sitters from close range.

Alex Brosque made all three Sydney goals and should have scored one himself late in the match but squandered a good opening.

Mark Bridge gave Sydney the lead on the quarter-hour when he collected a throw-in from the right and played a neat one-two with Brosque on the edge of the box before firing past substitute goalkeeper Reece Crowther from 14 metres for his fifth goal of the season.

Crowther had replaced regular keeper Mark Paston after just 8 minutes when he injured a hip and could not continue.

Sydney captain Corica added the second in the 31st minute after Brosque’s shot was parried by Crowther.

It was Corica’s third goal of the season.

It was 3-0 in the 35th minute when Bridge collected his second goal of the game, tapping home a simple chance created for him by the speedy Brosque, who had shown defender Ben Sigmund a clean pair of heels down the left before cutting the ball back from the byline.

Wellington were awarded a penalty on the hour after a long kick by Crowther delivered the ball into the Sydney box and Sebastian Ryall and Shannon Cole combined to foul Barbados international Paul Ifill.

Clint Bolton was beaten by Daniel’s spot-kick, but referee Jeremy Parsons ordered the kick to be retaken because of encroachment by Vince Lia.

Bolton saved the Brazilian’s second attempt to maintain Sydney’s 3-0 advantage.

In the 62nd minute, Aloisi missed a sitter from the edge of the 6-yard box following Corica’s low cross from the right, while 10 minutes later, he struck the base of the left-hand post from Brendan Gan’s low cross from the left, the ball rebounding into Crowther’s arms.

Wellington pulled a goal back in the 81st minute through substitute Costa Barbarouses, who finished off a cross from the right by Ifill.

The game was watched by a crowd of 10,653.