Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 77 guests and no members online

Photo: New Metro coach, Matthew Rhodes

Rhodes previously coached Taroona at senior men’s level and he has also coached women’s teams.

Metro president Craig Bidgood said the club had searched for a coach for the past six weeks.

“Matthew has spent a lot of time working with youth and under 19s and has been pretty much responsible for putting the Taroona side together that was successful this year,” Bidgood said.

“He comes across as vibrant, with good communication, and we think he has recruiting potential outside of our club.

“Mathew is qualified at senior level coaching and we hope he will bring a winning style to the club.

“It is fair to say we were disappointed with the quantity of quality applicants and, in a nutshell, they are basically not out there.

“We were unanimous with the decision and finalised things on Friday.

“The rest of the coaching panel will be announced in coming weeks.”

Sydney FC stayed on top of the A-League ladder despite losing 1-0 away to Gold Coast United at Skilled Stadium tonight.

The win lifted Gold Coast into third spot, at the expense of the Central Coast Mariners, who had moved into third place after beating second-placed Melbourne Victory 4-0 earlier this evening.

The winning goal came from Shane Smeltz in the 36th minute with a far-post header from Jason Culina’s perfectly delivered right-wing cross.

The attendance was 5,364.

In Tokyo this evening, South Korean side Pohang Steelers won the Asian Champions League final with a 2-1 win over Al Attihad of Saudia Arabia.

Melbourne Victory suffered their worst home defeat ever when they lost 4-0 to Central Coast Mariners at Etihad Stadium this evening.

It equalled their worst-ever defeat in the A-League, which was 4-0 to Newcastle Jets.

The home side had some good chances, but were thwarted by some excellent goalkeeping by Danny Vukovic.

The acrobatic Adam Kwasnik volleyed the Mariners ahead in the 15th minute after Melbourne keeper Glenn Moss could only parry Nick Travis’s shot.

Kwasnik injured his right knee in landing and did not see out the game.

Matt Simon made it 2-0 in the 75th minute with a header from a Travis corner.

Dean Heffernan added the third in the 80th minute after a great run down the left by John Hutchinson, the shot going through Moss’s legs.

It was Heffernan’s 10th goal of the season.

The home crowd gave Moss the bird every time he touched the ball after that, which would have improved his confidence immensely.

Nik Mrdja completed the scoring from Hutchinson’s free-kick in the 83rd minute, Moss again making a hash of his attempted interception.

Archie Thompson was again frustrating to watch as he was often caught off-side or went on long runs only to lose possession.

Ney Fabiano was also disappointing for Melbourne after coming on as a substitute.

He had a good shot superbly saved by Vukovic and then missed a simple header.

The win lifted the Mariners into third place on the ladder, while Melbourne spurned the chance to go top.

The attendance was 18,531.

They were on display recently at the Moonah Community Centre, having been salvaged from the Hobart tip.

The top photo is goalmouth action at the southern end of the South Hobart ground. I would be grateful if anyone could identify the teams and players.

The remaining photos show Hobart Juventus (white shirts) and Launceston Juventus (striped shirts) before a game at South Hobart.

The teams have been introduced to Mr Vic Tuting (in the case of Hobart Juventus, by Mr George Garlington, a former referee and Juventus official) prior to the kick-off.

The houses and shop in Darcy Street in the background are still recognisable today.

The referee is Hans Heiermann.

The Hobart Juventus goalkeeper is Karl Jaegar and the players (including reserves) I think I can identify are Ezio Longo, Phil Owen, Joe Hanna,Remo Carnevale, Dominic Rizzolo, John Genovesi, Ronnie De Felice and Tommy Watson, while the coach is Duncan Summers.

The only Launceston Juventus player I recognise (in the tracksuit top nearest the referee and linesmen) is Hans Streit.

I must thank Adrian Pickin for sending me the photos.

If anyone can identify other players and give other details about the game, I would be grateful.

It is obviously a state-wide final of some description.