Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 80 guests and no members online


Metro could not be satisfied with this draw as Taroona won earlier in the day and moved to the top of the Division One ladder with a 2-point lead over them.

It was a hard, physical encounter, which saw three send-offs and four other bookings.

The small ground was even more crowded as neither side tried to use width and both teams sometimes occupied only one quadrant of the pitch.

With space at a premium, players had little time to control the ball and, if their technique was slightly deficient, they were caught in possession.

Consequently, the ball was often punted upfield anywhere, and there were some mad chases for the ball and crunching tackles.

Orr’s late tackle on Robinson earned the Scotsman a yellow card and this would prove crucial later in the match.

How Davis stayed on the pitch for as long as he did (an hour) is anyone’s guess. He appeared to strike Orr early on and then conceded a penalty later as he brought Orr down.

He and Orr were finally given their marching orders after an hour following a goalmouth scramble that saw Orr just fail to put Metro ahead.

All hell broke loose after the dismissals and players, coaches and officials had to intervene to restore order.

Beachside supporters standing near the dressing rooms were very vocal as the game wore on and there were quite a few verbal exchanges between them and Metro players who were substituted and were making their way back to the change rooms.

Beachside attacked strongly in the opening stages of the match and only a fine save by Metro keeper Simon Land denied Bernhard Klasen.

Beachside forced a couple of corner in quick succession, but the visitors held out.

The penalty came in the 14th minute and Orr tucked it away with ease to give Metro the lead.

Ten minutes before the break, Davis rose at the far side of the box at a corner and nodded home the equaliser. His gestures towards the Metro bench as he ran back for the restart were less than complimentary.

Neither side could break the stalemate in the second half, although Beachside keeper Alex Bigg was the busier of the two custodians and produced two fine saves to deny Metro a winner near the end.

The referee had his hands full once he blew the final whistle, which, incidentally, came about 70 seconds before the 45 minutes were up.

He had also refereed the reserve curtain-raiser.

He was surrounded by players and supporters before he left the field. Orr was out there questioning him, and the referee also threatened to report one club if one particular individual did not move away.

FFT should clearly have ensured that there were three fresh officials available for a match of such importance.

It was, after all, the only game in town at that time of the evening.

The referees’ ‘room’ is part of the Beachside dressing room and only separated from the players by a small partition, which is hardly an appropriate arrangement.

Metro's latest Scottish signing was at the game, having arrived in Tasmania only that morning. I wonder what he thought of it all?


  • Beachside coach, Nathan Robinson, said:

“I thought we were magnificent.

“We had a late withdrawal in Colin Shepherd, who has a virus, but who was here tonight.

“Sebastian Milford was out and he normally scored a few goals for us.

“We had to change tactically with a player sent off, but I just thought it was a terrific game.

“It still is two points we’ve lost and the onus was on us as the home team to get forward and score a goal.

“We couldn’t quite manage that in the second half, but saying that, I couldn’t fault the players.

“They were superb and they’re improving all the time. Those games, those crucial games in the Cup against the Northern Premier League team and against Zebras, and our practice game against South Hobart, are slowly starting to get us up to Premier League standard, because that’s what Metro are with their Scottish boys.

“So, I thought it was a good result and it keeps us alive for the season.”

  • Metro coach, Darrin Chaffey, said:

“Pretty disappointing. I’m not disappointed with the result because I don’t think we deserved to win.

“We didn’t play better, not that I thought Beachside did as well.

“It’s a pretty even result.

“It was a pretty important game for us and to have one of our strikers and myself sent off in the latter stages of the game, it’s going to affect for us a couple of weeks.”

Beachside: A Bigg; P Bigg (Howarth 25), McDonald, Lowe, Robinson, Wain, Szoka, Klasen, Atkin, Douglas (Reason 85), Davis (Substitute not used: Ryan)

Booked: Douglas, Davis

Sent-off: Davis

Goals: Davis 35

Metro: Land; Rahni, Gasparin, Malcolm, Sweeney, Dawes, Orr, Jackson (McQueen 80), Hawkins, Marney, Hunt (Chaffey 70) (Substitute not used: T Kent)

Booked: Orr, Dawes, Jackson, McQueen

Sent-off: Orr, Chaffey

Att: 100

Ref: C Ware