Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 103 guests and no members online

Photos (Top to Bottom: Referee Chris Ware prepares to start play; Beachside players congratulate team-mate Bernhard Klasen (No. 17) on his hat-trick; Fifteen-year-old Jayden Hey (right) had a fine senior debut; Indian file at Sandown Park; Beachside's Ben Davis tackles DOSA's Stephen Swift (right)

Beachside moved back into third place on the Division One ladder when they scored a comfortable 4-0 home win over fifth-placed Northern Suburbs DOSA at Sandown Park today.

DOSA, who trailed 3-0 at the interval, fought hard and restricted the home side to just one goal in the second half.

Jayden Hey, a 15-year-old defender, had a fine senior debut for DOSA and he almost scored with an excellent shot in the second half that was turned wide for a corner.

Andrew Douglas opened Beachside’s account when he got the last touch to a cross in the 14th minute.

Bernhard Klasen made it 2-0 on the half-hour with a penalty, awarded for a push by a defender inside the box after a corner.

Klasen added the third in the 39th minute with a fierce shot that went in off the far post.

Klasen completed his hat-trick from close range 12 minutes from the end when Patrick Bigg’s shot struck the crossbar and the DOSA defence failed to clear.

Klasen, Bigg, Nathan Robinson and Colin Wain all had good chances in the second half as DOSA refused to buckle under intense pressure.

Photos (Top to Bottom): Match officials Kim Nino Mele, Kim Barker and Patrick Galloway; South's Jonathon Ladic passes to Shae Hickey; Kingborough's Ross Hinkley (right) about to tackle Shae Hickey; Ladic gives Kingborough's Charles White a nudge in the back; Kingborough's Damien Pearce clears ahead of South's David Cooper; Kingborough's Marc Iseli heads clear before South's Garry Upton can intervene

Forestry Tasmania Premier League, Lightwood Park, Saturday, 23 May 2009

Kingborough Lions United 3 (White 34, R Hinkley 56, Greg Freeman 90+6)
South Hobart 0

HT: 1-0 Att: 90 Ref: K Barker

Kingborough Lions United: Voss - Palmer, Iseli, D Pearce (A Kerr 83), Wells - Bevan, Andrews, Marchioli, R Hinkley - White (T Pearce 67), McDonald (Greg Freeman 63) [Substitute not used: Leamey] [Coach: Geoff Freeman]

South Hobart: Moncur - Cooper (Pennicott 60), Ludford, Heerey, Scott - Eaves (Abbott 32), Upton, Ladic, Hickey - Kanakaris (Ross 57), Brown [Substitute not used: Hill] [Coach: K Morton]

It’s been a long time since a Ken Morton side lost three games in a row.

But, that’s what has happened to reigning champions South Hobart, who as a result of this 3-0 loss to Kingborough Lions United, have dropped to third spot on the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder.

South Hobart now appear to have only a slim chance of retaining their title.

They have a lot of possession, but they lack a true spearhead as a focus of their attacks and this is costing them dearly.

They suffered a blow in this game when Ricki Eaves was injured in a tackle after only half an hour. He had to go off and was replaced by David Abbott.

In the 34th minute, an uncharacteristic error at the back by captain Hugh Ludford resulted in South falling behind.

Ludford’s ball control let him down as he tried to stop a through-ball and Charles White gained possession, advanced on goal, and calmly slotted the ball past Mark Moncur to put the home side in front.

It was almost 2-0 in the 39th minute when Tom McDonald ran on to Michael Wells’s long ball out of defence and had a dig, but Moncur saved well.

South Hobart had had several good chances before then, however, mostly from distance, but they all came to nothing.

Five minutes before the interval, Kingborough goalkeeper, Jason Voss, once again produced his almost mandatory Jekyll and Hyde act.

Voss’s atrocious clearance from the edge of the box went straight to Shae Hickey, who, seeing Voss way off his line, lobbed the ball towards an empty goal.

Voss somehow recovered his ground and, diving full length backwards, somehow clawed the ball out of the air and turned it onto the bar, whence it ricocheted harmlessly back into play.

Deep into stoppage time at the end of the first half, Voss again produced a brilliant save, denying Kanakaris, who had threatened to score with an audacious over-head scissors kick from an acute angle.

Seven minutes into the second half, Voss again did exceptionally well to deny Daniel Brown, who was given the chance after an error by the usually reliable and prominent Marc Iseli.

In the 56th minute, came the goal of the match. White and Bevan exchanged passes wide on the right and Bevan’s low cross towards the near post was turned in by Ross Hinkley to make it 2-0 for the Lions.

Then came a flurry of substitutions by both sides and, with the match going into an extended period of stoppage time, Kingborough added to their tally.

In the 96th minute, a free-kick by Hinkley came back off the bar to substitute Greg Freeman, who prodded the ball into the roof of the net before the South Hobart defence could react and made it 3-0.

Not only is a Morton team starting to lose several games in succession, they are losing comprehensively.


  • Kingborough Lions United coach, Geoff Freeman, said:

“I’m really, really happy.

“We set out with a game plan, and that was to restrict them to playing longer balls and being as compact as we could and then to try and break with a little bit of pace and a little bit of purpose.

“We were probably lucky with the first goal. They made an error and Charlie [White] did finish well.

“The second goal, I thought, was fantastic.

“The third one, yeah, time on, was one of those.

“It was our day. The boys worked really hard and thoroughly deserved the result.”

  • South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“If you have a lot of possession like that, you’ve got to turn the possession into goals.

“Today, we never looked like turning it into goals.

“I mean, the keeper has brought off two or three good saves that might have got us back into the game.

“But, there’s not the penetration, you know, the runs off the ball when Johnny Lo was a round, the service from wide areas is not as good as last year, and these are the things we’ve got to put right.

“Our play from back to front is too slow and deliberate and we allow teams to sit deep on us, so we’re not helping ourselves.

“But, we’ve just got to keep working away and, you know, maybe get a better balance to the team so we’ve got flankers who are getting wide and are crossing, or at least the fullbacks are coming up and crossing.

“But, that just hasn’t happened in the last few games, and from that, we haven’t had the opportunities we normally create.

“But, I thought Kingborough set their stall out well, defended well. They played the counter-attack well and, you know, one chance in the first half and it’s a goal.

“Young Voss has made two or three great saves that kept them in the game and they get another good goal. But, both goals are bad defending. They came from our mistakes.

“Football matches are won and lost through what you do in penalty areas and we didn’t do enough in the attacking penalty area and we defended poorly in our own penalty area.

“End of story, really.”



12 Goal Attempts 22
7 Shots on Target 10
0 Corners 3
13 Fouls Committed 13
1 Off-Sides 2
0 Yellow Cards 2 (Upton 38, Brown 60)
0 Red Cards 0

Kingborough Lions United:

Andrews 1 1
White 1 1
D Pearce 1 0
McDonald 2 2
R Hinkley 2 2
Iseli 1 0
Marchioli 1 0
T Pearce 1 0
Freeman 2 1

South Hobart:

Upton 6 3
Brown 3 2
Kanakaris 2 1
Cooper 2 0
Hickey 1 1
Heerey 3 0
Ladic 3 3
Ross 2 0

Photos (Top to Bottom): Referee Kim Barker tosses for captains Marcello Marchioli and Hugh Ludford before the start of the Kingborough and South Hobart match; South's Shae Hickey about to be tackled by Marcello Marchioli; South's Ricki Eaves gets a pass away; South's Daniel Brown tackles Kingborough's Damien Pearce; Kingborough's Charles White shields the ball from South's David Cooper

South Hobart have only a slim chance of retaining their Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League title after going down 3-0 away to Kingborough Lions United at Lightwood Park today and dropping to third on the ladder.

It was South’s third league defeat of the season and they now trail leaders Tilford Zebras by a massive 8 points.

Zebras came back from two goals down after only 9 minutes to beat Clarence United 4-3 away at Wentworth Park tonight, the winner coming in the 4th minute of stoppage time at the end of the match.

Second-last Hobart Olympic should have been at least 4-1 down at half-time against sixth-placed New Town Eagles at KGV Park on Friday night, but Olympic won 2-1 through deadly counter-attacks.

Glenorchy Knights moved into second place on the ladder, 7 points adrift of leaders Tilford Zebras, after downing bottom-side University 4-0 away at Olinda Grove today.

An error by central defender Hugh Ludford enabled Charles White to fire the Lions ahead against South Hobart in the 34th minute.

Ross Hinkley made it 2-0 in the 56th minute when he netted from close range after a brilliant attack down the right involving White and Ryan Bevan.

Six minutes into stoppage time, the Lions netted their third, Hinkley hitting the crossbar with a free-kick and Greg Freeman forcing home the rebound.

Luke Cripps hit his third hat-trick of the season for Clarence, but a late goal by Aaron Brazendale gave the Zebras victory.

Moments earlier, Chris Hunt almost struck a winner for Clarence, his fierce shot from the left coming back into play off the inside of the far post.

Cripps grabbed his first when he slammed home the loose ball after Ben Parker had headed Mattias Toghill’s free-kick against a post, while his second came after Zebras failed to clear a corner.

Ben Crosswell pulled a goal back for the Zebras on the half-hour and Dwayne Walsh’s goal against his former club in the 40th minute made it 2-2 at the break.

Crosswell gave Zebras the lead early in the second half, but Cripps made it 3-3 in the 69th minute before Brazendale struck Zebras’ winner in the 94th minute.

Eagles’ Alex Leszczynski had a penalty saved by Olympic’s Dmitri Nester before goals by Dipendra Kunwar and Michael Bulis gave Olympic a 2-0 lead.

Cormac Collins’s late strike for Eagles was too late to save the match, but if Adam McKeown had taken his first-half chances for Eagles, it might have been a different outcome.

Taroona drew level on points with Division One leaders Metro when they beat Christian United 7-2 away at Sherburd Park today.

Chris Cox hit a hat-trick and Hamish Macgregor scored a brace for Taroona, who led 3-1 at the break. Phil Gale and Mark Gates also got on the score-sheet for Taroona.

Nelson Eastern Suburbs sneaked home 2-1 against bottom-side Hobart United at North Warrane through first-half goals by Luke Wallace and Ben Gibson. Alex Bellini replied for United.

In the Premier League Reserves, Kingborough Lions United drew 2-2 with South Hobart, Gordon Kerr and Marcus Bremner scoring for Kingborough, and Hugo Bladel and Simon Burrett, the latter with a penalty, for South Hobart.

Tilford Zebras overcame Clarence United 5-0 through two goals by Jamon Pennicott and one each by Matt Hall, Alex Viney and Josh Thorpe.

Glenorchy Knights downed University 1-0, while Hobart Olympic and New Town Eagles drew 2-2, Dimitri Kanakaris and George Kalis netting for Olympic, and Ben Whitehall and Jason Thomas for Eagles.

In the Under-19s, University trounced Glenorchy Knights 7-0, South Hobart easily accounted for Kingborough Lions United 6-0, and Clarence United beat Tilford Zebras 3-1.

In Division Two, New Town Eagles White drew 1-1 with Huon Valley.

In the Division One reserves, Hobart United drew 1-1 with Nelson Eastern Suburbs. In the Under-19s, Hobart United downed Nelson 4-3, while in the Under-13s, Hobart United trounced Nelson 11-4.

In the Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League, Northern Rangers stayed top of the table with a 3-0 away win over Ulverstone at the Ulverstone Showgrounds.

Rangers' marksmen were Andrew Nicholson, Paul Bremner and Rhys Prestidge.

Rangers' Chad Honey and Ulverstone's Ben Foote were sent off.

Somerset won 2-1 away against Riverside Olympic, while Prospect Knights beat Launceston City 4-2 away at Mitsubishi Park.

Somerset fell behind to a 17th strike by Todd Mitchell, but James Nettleton equalised in the 29th minute.

Gary Hamilton then missed a couple of one-on-ones for Somerset, but Sam Cocks popped up with the winner in the 87th minute.

Devonport City easily disposed of bottom-side Launceston United 6-0 at home at Valley Road.

Kieren Mulraney hit a hat-trick for Devonport, while Paul Scicluna, Sean Howe and Scott Wilson completed the scoring.

Photos (Top to Bottom): Eagles' Alex Leszczynski (left) missed a penalty; Dipendra Kunwar...scored first for Olympic; Michael Bulis scored a brilliant goal for Olympic

Forestry Tasmania Premier League, KGV Park, Friday, 22 May 2009


Hobart Olympic 2 (Kunwar 44, Bulis 60)
New Town Eagles 1 (Collins 87)

HT: 1-0 Att: 100 Ref: I Jozeljic

Hobart Olympic: Nester - Lebski, Saric, C Tsakiris, Kaproulias - E Tsakiris (A Hedge 55), Richardson, Mason, Larzabal - Kunwar (Percy 81), Bulis [Substitutes not used: Banks, Plomaritis] [Coach: F Shaw]

New Town Eagles: Soszynski - Page, Wass, Savage, Clark - Malakoff, Kent, Leszczynski, Kavanagh (Collins 46) - McKeown, Gordon (Quan 63) [Substitutes not used: Fennell, Ferrall] [Coach: G Krambousanos]

New Town Eagle should have had this game wrapped up in the first half.

But, they squandered a penalty and missed at least three good chances.

Eagles did little in the second half and, although they pulled a goal back shortly before the end, the horse had bolted by that stage.

Hobart Olympic, without the suspended Peter Tsakiris and Youssef Mohamad, made the most of their chances and scored two excellent goals to win three precious points and move 9 points clear of last-placed university.

Eagles had their first good chance in the 10th minute when Mark Page crossed from deep on the right, but Adam McKeown directed his header straight at goalkeeper Dmitri Nester.

In the 12th minute, Robert Lebski failed to cut out a through-ball and McKeown gained possession, but with only the keeper to beat, he shot straight at Nester.

Two minutes later, Chris Tsakiris brought down Jacob Malakoff and Eagles were awarded a penalty.

Nester dived to his right and beat out Alex Leszczynski’s spot-kick.

In the 33rd minute, McKeown played a marvellous ball through to Malakoff, but he slipped and fell over the ball and allowed Lebski to clear.

A minute later, McKeown raced for a through-ball and wiped out Nester in the process, thus earning himself a yellow card. Nester required treatment but was able to continue.

A minute before the break, a superb long ball out of defence by Karl Larzabal found Dipendra Kunwar in full flight and he outpaced Andrew Clark before shooting past Michael Soszynsmi to give Olympic the lead.

Eagles brought on Cormac Collins for Kavanagh at the interval. Kavanagh had been playing quite well and had gone close with one low shot just wide of the post.

It was Kavanagh’s last game for the club as he is joining the navy.

Michael Bulis made it 2-0 on the hour with a splendid goal. He made a diagonal run from left to right and, before Clark could get in a tackle, he rifled an unstoppable shot into the far top corner of the net.

Nester did well in the 70th minute to keep out McKeown’s speculative cross from the left. At full stretch, he turned the ball out from under the bar and deflected it wide, where it was knocked back into the middle, only to see McKeown head tamely wide.

Five minutes from the end, Bulis flashed a low drive centimetres wide of Soszynski’s right-hand post.

Leszczynski was fortunate not to collect a second yellow card when he careered into Nester and sent the keeper flying. It was Nester who was booked, however, for voicing his complaint.

With three minutes remaining, a deep cross from the right by Savage enabled Collins to score, but Olympic held on for an important victory.


  • Hobart Olympic coach, Farrell Shaw, said:

“It was a vast improvement tonight and it was a good committed effort.

“Some young lads came in and they held their own.

“It was a real battle for us. There was some good movement and a couple of good finishes, which is always nice to see.

“A nice finish from Michael [Bulis], which is rare these days.

“Very happy, and we’re looking forward to the rest of the season, basically.”

  • New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“Congratulations to Olympic. They scored two nice goals, but I thought it should have been over in the first half, when we should have scored at least four goals.

“We missed a penalty, but we fought back.

“I’m afraid it was Olympic’s day today, so I can’t say too much about that.”


9 Goal Attempts 13
3 Shots on Target 9
7 Corners 2
10 Fouls Committed 6
2 Off-Sides 2
2 (Saric 64, Nester 74) Yellow Cards 4 (Savage 12, McKeown 34, Leszczynski 42, Kent 60)
0 Red Cards 0

Hobart Olympic:

Larzabal 2 1
Bulis 2 1
Richardson 1 0
Mason 1 0
Kunwar 2 1
Lebski 1 0

New Town Eagles:

Gordon 1 0
McKeown 6 4
Leszczynski 2 2
Kavanagh 2 1
Malakoff 1 1
Kent 1 1