Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 68 guests and no members online

Photo: Kingborough Lions Starting XI v New Town Eagles

Forestry Tasmania Premier League, Saturday, 21 March 2009, Lightwood Park

Kingborough Lions United 6 (Andrews 26, White 34, Palmer 72, Freeman 74, 78, 83)
New Town Eagles 3 (Collins 35, Gordon 81, Leszczynski 84 pen)

HT: 2-1 Att: 120 Ref: B Kopra

Kingborough Lions United (4-4-2): Voss - Palmer, Iseli, D Pearce, Wells - R Hinkley (Bevan 73), Marchioli, Andrews (Greg Freeman 67), Schuth - White, McDonald (Bremner 63) [Substitute not used: Leamey] [Coach: Geoff Freeman]

New Town Eagles (4-5-1): A Savage (C Minty 42) - Westland (Ferrall 46), Rybak, Wass, Page - Vernon, Malakoff (Gordon 59), Leszczysnki, Clark, McKeown - Collins [Substitute not used: Grabek] [Coach: G Krambousanos]

Kingborough Lions United have now scored 10 goals in their two opening league matches, but they have also conceded seven.

New Town Eagles had them on the back foot for at least half an hour in the first half, but they were unable to take advantage of some poor defending by the home side.

Eagles won many of the aerial battles in attack and the Kingborough rearguard was under a lot of pressure in that first 30 minutes.

Kingborough goalkeeper Jason Voss’s distribution was generally poor, and he apeared annoyed with himself. He should probably have held Cormac Collins’s shot which resulted in the opening goal.

But then again, two of Voss’s clearances up-field resulted in goals for his team, and one can’t complain about that.

He also made a crucial save with his foot when Alex Leszczynski broke through and appeared certain to score in a one-on-one situation.

Kingborough relied on the long ball, and it eventually began to take effect, although some of their close inter-passing play was also damaging to Eagles.

Eagles suffered a major blow just before the break when they lost goalkeeper Andrew Savage, who snapped an Achilles tendon. He did the same thing, but to the other leg, two seasons ago.

Play was stopped for several minutes while he received treatment and he was eventually taken to hospital by ambulance.

The incident was bizarre. Charles White had played Marcello Marchioli through on the left and he was sprinting towards goals with only the keeper to beat.

Savage came off his line but suddenly fell to the ground, in obvious agony. Marchioli kept running at goal and, just before he could stroke the ball into an empty net, Mr Kopra blew his whistle and stopped play.

It was a controversial incident. Should play have been stopped or should Marchioli have been awarded a goal? He put the ball into the net a split second after the referee’s whistle blew, to the annoyance of the Kingborough players and supporters, who felt they should have had a goal.

Speaking after the match, Mr Kopra said that he knew instantly that Savage was badly injured and so he stopped play. That is the referee’s prerogative. Another referee might have been a fraction slower with the whistle, and the goal would have stood.

Kingborough had the first decent chance of the match when, in the 9th minute, White released Joel Schuth on the left, but his low shot just missed the far post.

In the 17th minute, Matt Page crossed from the left for Eagles and Voss spilled the ball and conceded a corner.

From the corner, Chris Wass’s header was deflected out for another corner.

In the 26th minute, a counter-attack by Kingborough saw Tom McDonald beat Savage to the ball on the left of the box, but Matthew Rybak intervened and conceded a corner.

Ross Hinkly took the corner from the left and Brett Andrews flicked the ball home with his head to give the Lions the lead.

A minute later, a great ball out of defence by Rybak found Leszczynki, who beat Marc Iseli on the right of the box but fired his shot just wide of the far post.

White went close on the half-hour for Kingborough when he nodded Hinkley’s corner wide.

The next minute, Savage did well at the near post to turn Hinkley’s shot out for a corner, from which Schuth hit the side-netting after the corner was not cleared.

In the 32nd minute, Tom McDonald was through on the Eagles goal, but the advancing keeper did just enough to force McDonald to shoot wide.

It was 2-0 in the 34th minute, again after a corner by Hinkley. His corner was nodded back out and wide, where Hinkley got a second bite of the cherry. His cross this time, was from a much better angle, and White headed home.

Within a minute, Eagles pulled a goal back. Kingborough could only flick a corner on to the far side of the box, where Collins gained possession, cut inside and scored with a low drive from the left, through Voss’s grasp and just inside the far post.

Then came the incident involving Savage and 18-year-old Craig Minty took over in goal just minutes before the interval.

Eagles also brought on Nick Ferrall at half-time for Josh Westland.

Eight minutes into the second period, Leszczynski smacked a marvellous free-kick against the underside of the crossbar. The ball rebounded and hit Wass, but he didn’t know anything about it and it ricocheted over the bar and out of play for a goal-kick.

In the 59th minute, Kingborough were desperately unlucky not to increase their lead when Marchioli put White away on the left and he fired against the far post.

Two minutes later, Voss saved from Leszczynski with his foot, while at the other end, McDonald blazed just wide of the target.

Greg Freeman replaced the injured Andrews in the 67th minute and thatw as to prove decisive.

In the 72nd minute, substitute Marcus Bremer went on a fine run down the right and knocked the ball inside to Michael Palmer, who turned inside the box and struck home Kingborough’s third goal.

Freeman grabbed his first goal in the 74th minute after fine play by fellow substitute Ryan Bevan t make it 4-1.

Four minutes later, Marchioli’s free-kick from the left was cleverly dummied by White and the unmarked Freeman tapped home goal number five.

Alex Gordon, who had replaced Jacob Malakoff just short of the hour mark, slotted home James Vernon’s low right-wing cross in the 81st minute to pull a goal back for Eagles.

But Freeman restored the four-goal buffer and completed his hat-trick two minutes later, running unopposed on to a long clearance by Voss and beating Minty easily from inside the box.

Eagles were awarded a penalty six minutes from the end when Wells brought down Andrew Clark. Leszczynski despatched it comfortably to make it 6-3.

Minty produced two excellent saves in the closing minutes to deny Freeman, who also headed Bevan’s cross over the bar when a seventh goal seemed certain.


  • Kingborough Lions United coach, Geoff Freeman, said:

“There were a lot of positives. Going forward, I think we created a lot of opportunities again and it’s nice to be taking opportunities.

“A little bit concerned about conceding goals, but having said that, when you conceded 5-1 and 6-2 it’s not as bad as in the past. Even last week, we conceded when we were only one in front, or whatever it is.

“But, we’re playing well. There’s still a lot to improve on and that’s probably a promising thing.

“We’re delighted with the goals we’re scoring. But, we might have scored ten, but we’ve conceded seven.”

  • New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“What we did at training, I honestly thought we could win this one.

“Give them credit. They played good soccer and scored a lot of goals. We scored three. That’s nine goals. That’s unbelievable.

“We lost our keeper, but you can’t blame the young lad who went in just before half-time.

“A bit disappointed, but you must give credit to Kingborough. They did very, very well and they deserved their win.”

23 Goal Attempts 18
11 Shots on Target 10
9 Corners 8
11 Fouls Committed 10
2 Off-Sides 2
3 (White 51, Hinkley 55, Bremner 76) Yellow Cards 1 (Leszczynski 76)
0 Red Cards 0

Kingborough Lions United:

Schuth 2 0
Wells 1 0
Andrews 2 2
White 3 2
Hinkley 1 1
McDonald 3 0
Marchioli 2 1
Iseli 2 1
Palmer 2 1
Freeman 4 3
Bremner 1 0

New Town Eagles:

Wass 3 1
McKeown 3 2
Vernon 4 2
Westland 1 0
Leszczynski 4 3
Ferrall 1 0
Gordon 2 2

Photos: Hobart Olympic squad (top) and Kingborough Lions United squad (bottom).

It rained goals in today’s Forestry Tasmania Premier League competition, with 19 goals being scored in the three matches.

Kingborough Lions United, who drew last weekend in an 8-goal thriller with Hobart Zebras, were again in the thick of the action, this time beating visitors New Town Eagles 6-3 at Lightwood Park.

Brett Andrews gave the Lions the lead, while Charles White made it 2-0 before Cormac Collins pulled a goal back for Eagles before the break.

Michael Palmer made it 3-1 for the home side before Greg Freeman came on as a substitute and netted a hat-trick in 16 minutes for the Lions.

Eagles, who lost goalkeeper Andrew Savage late in the first half with a snapped Achilles tendon, grabbed further goals through Alex Gordon and a penalty by Alexander Lesczzynski but were unable to close the gap.

Hobart Zebras traded goals and blows with Hobart Olympic before running out 4-3 winners at KGV Park.

Kostas Kanakaris put Olympic ahead, but two goals by Dwayne Walsh in stoppage time at the end of the first half sent Zebras in at the break leading 2-1.

Michael Bulis equalised within seconds of the restart, but Aaron Brazendale and Fabian Lapolla then netted to give Zebras a 4-2 lead.

They held on for the three points despite Olympic, who could have had two players sent off before the end, pulling another goal back through substitute Dipendra Kunwar.

Clarence United beat University 2-1 away at Olinda Grove, Nigel Blundell netting for University and Ben Hamlett and Ben Parker replying for Clarence.
Forestry Tasmania Premier League

Kingborough Lions United 6 (Freeman 3, Andrews, White, Palmer) b New Town Eagles 3 (Collins, Gordon, Leszczynski pen)

University 1 (Blundell) lt Clarence United 2 (Hamlett, Parker)

Hobart Olympic 3 (Bulis, Kanakaris, Kunwar) lt Tilford Zebras 4 (Walsh 2, Brazendale, F Lapolla)


Kingborough Lions United 2 (T Pearce, Bevan) b New Town Eagles 1 (Anderson)

Hobart Olympic 0 lt Tilford Zebras 3 (Fisher, Venettacci, Hall)

University 1 lt Clarence United 3 (Knapek, Phillips, Garth pen)
Hobart Olympic 1 (N Hale 23)
TIS 5 (Foote 35, 48, O’Brien 52, Thomas 71, Cavarretta 86)

HT: 1-1 Att: 120 Ref: S Natoli

Hobart Olympic (4-4-2): Markellos - Morris, Jarvis, Barnes, Price - Parker, Jones, Johnson, Dean - Cantrell, N Hale [Interchange: C Hale, Ortmann] [Coach: J Fiotakis]

TIS (4-4-2): Plummer - Vienna-Hallam, De Boer, O’Brien, Tolman - Thomas, Dixon, Ayton, Foote - Williams, Cavarretta [Interchange: Daley, Mason, Rose, Edwards] [Coach: V Linton]

This Women’s Summer Cup final was an entertaining match and both sets of players demonstrated speed, technique and skills.

The first half probably belonged to Hobart Olympic, but once the TIS drew level, they surged ahead and dominated the second half.

The TIS were probably more tactically aware than their opponents, and this showed in the end.

They were also fitter. The TIS train five times a week, and that showed, too.

Madeline O’Brien, and Ashlee Tolman were excellent in the TIS defence and both were prepared to take risks and play their way out of trouble. They did so effectively in this match, but against better teams, such as the ones they will encounter in China in April, it might be too risky a ploy.

Tayla Thomas was outstanding in midfield. She covered huge areas of the pitch, was fast, and her vision and passing were superb. She deserved her goal.

Her vision and technique were demonstrated in the 26th minute when, after her side went a goal down, she played a splendid lofted pass over the Olympic defence and into the path of Rani Cavarretta.

It should have resulted in a goal, but Cavarretta failed to shoot and was eventually manoeuvred into passing the ball to a supporting player.

Lucy Foote was dangerous in attack for TIS and scored two fine goals. She has phenomenal speed and was unlucky in the 18th minute when she sprinted to beat the goalkeeper to the ball, only to shoot against the post.

Harkana Dixon’s passing from deep positions was spot-on and she played a delightful long ball to Adelyn Ayton in the 9th minute which spelled trouble for Olympic.

Ayton just failed to control the ball, but it fell to Foote, whose shot seemed destined to produce a goal until Olympic’s goalkeeper, Kate Markellos, took the pace off it with a partial save.

The entire TIS team played very well, in fact, and their performance was a credit to coach Vicki Linton.

Jemma Plummer was a late replacement in goal for Isolina Ottavi, who was injured in the warm-up.

Hobart Olympic were no slouches. They looked sharp in attack and Nic Hale and Bliss Cantrell caused TIS plenty of problems in the opening half.

Cantrell’s shooting was always dangerous, while Hale, ever the opportunist, scored a typical close-range goal after confusion in the defence.

Olympic’s speed of thought and technical abilities were demonstrated in the 21st minute when they launched a splendid attack down the left which featured a cleverly executed one-two between Chrystal Dean and Cantrell.

It resulted in a shot from Hale, which was blocked. She then stabbed the rebound wide.

Vanessa Johnson and Emily Parker were solid in midfield and both were adept at either playing long balls into dangerous areas, or running with the ball into those zones through sheer tenacity.

Male footballers could have learned a lot from this match. They may be physically stronger and possess more powerful shots, but the speed of thought of many of these girls and their tactical sense were a lesson to all.

Cantrell almost put Olympic ahead in the 3rd minute, but the advancing goalkeeper narrowed the angle and she shot wide.

In the 9th minute, at the other end, Jessie Williams was unlucky not to get a strike at goal as the Olympic defence reeled following an assault down the left, prompted by Dixon and involving Ayton and Foote.

Olympic counter-attacked constantly and Cantrell shot centimetres wide of the far post in the 12th minute.

After Foote hit the post in the 18th minute, Thomas was unlucky not to get to the rebound as the TIS pressured their opponents.

Olympic took the lead in the 23rd minute when Hale rounded a defender on the right and fired home off the far post.

TIS almost equalised in the 33rd minute, but a fine reflex save by goalkeeper Markellos denied Cavarretta.

TIS were starting to find their rhythm, however, and Foote equalised from Thomas’s astute pass in the 25th minute.

Foote volleyed the TIS ahead three minutes after the resumption, following a right-wing cross.

Four minutes later, Hale conceded a free-kick by handling and O’Brien made it 3-1 with a powerful free-kick from long range that beat Markellos at the near post and flew in off the base of the upright.

Thomas added the fourth in the 71st minute after a great run by Cavarretta, whose shot was turned against the post. The ball rebounded into the path of Thomas, who couldn't miss.

Cavarretta completed the scoring four minutes from the end with a long-range lob that sailed over Markellos and into the roof of the net.


  • Hobart Olympic coach, John Fiotakis, said:

“I thought in the first half we were fairly even.

“In the end, it was just fitness, really.

“They’ve been training, probably for the past five months, five days a week. We’ve probably trained, in the last six weeks, twice a week.

“In the end, I think it was basically fitness.

“It was a really good game and the girls enjoyed it.”

  • TIS coach, Vicki Linton, said:

“I’m definitely pleased with the way they played a full 90 minutes.

“It was definitely a tough challenge. Olympic have many experienced players and that really showed in the first half.

“I’m particularly pleased with how our players managed to deal with the onslaught and then come back and continue on and play out the full ninety, which we haven’t played yet all year.

“We’ve been playing 60 minutes.

“So, I’m really pleased at just being able to get through the whole squad and being able to finish off at the same intensity.

“Yeah, it was fantastic.”

11 Goal Attempts 16
3 Shots on Target 12
3 Corners 4
4 Fouls Committed 3
2 Off-Sides 0
0 Yellow Cards 0
0 Red Cards 0

Hobart Olympic:

Cantrell 4 0
Johnson 2 0
N Hale 3 2
Morris 1 1
Dean 1 0


Thomas 6 3
Foote 4 3
Cavarretta 2 2
Tolman 1 1
O’Brien 1 1
Ayton 1 1
Dixon 1 1