Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 80 guests and no members online

Photo: Knights defend a corner against South

Forestry Tasmania Premier League, South Hobart, Sunday, 22 March 2009


South Hobart 4 (Ludford 41, Ladic 66, Downes 71, 79)
Glenorchy Knights 0

HT: 1-0 Att: 140 Ref: S Collins

South Hobart (4-4-2): Kruijver - Cooper (Pennicott 29), Ludford, D Brown, Scott - Downes, Upton (Bladel 80), Ladic, Hickey - Ross (Wardle 72), Eaves [Substitute not used: Moncur] [Coach: K Morton]

Glenorchy Knights (3-5-2): Peter - Wiggins, Grundy, Smith (Vavoulas 67) - Koroma, Fielding, Kamba (Clay 56), Dzelalija (Paite 70), Roberts - Hope, Sherman [Substitute not used: Tatnell] [Coach: E Kelly]

Glenorchy Knights had no answers to counter a resolute South Hobart in this top-of-the-table clash.

Knights left Jade Clay on the bench until the second half and they played Amadu Koroma wide on the right, where he was often left isolated.

Cosmos Paite also started on the bench and did not make an appearance until the 70-minute mark.

The Knights did not have a shot on target in the first half, while in the second, they had two chances, one of which fell to William Roberts but was turned over for a corner by Sam Kruijver.

The Knights also tried to mix it physically with South and came off second best, although South were lucky late in the match to finish with eleven players after a scuffle in the Knights penalty area saw a Knights player wrestled to the ground.

South introduced 16-year-old Jim Pennicott and 15-year-old Hugo Bladel as substitutes and both youngsters did reasonably well against much more experienced opponents.

South are far from full-strength, but with newcomers like these two making their way through, the future looks bright.

It was ironic that two former Knights players were at the heart of South’s victory.

Shae Hicky had an excellent game in midfield, while Jonathon Ladic scored South’s second goal direct from a free-kick to effectively end the game as a contest.

Youngster Greg Downes was also in fine form. He scored two goals and went close on several other occasions.

He even had the confidence to attempt an audacious first-time volley from a cross from the right in the second half. This time, he screwed the ball up and over the bar, but the time will surely come when he hits those into the back of the net like a rocket.

South went close as early as the 12th minute when Downes put Ricky Eaves through, but the striker shot over the bar.

On the half-hour, Knights had a chance but settled for a corner when Liam Scott’s attempted clearance was blocked by James Hope.

A minute later, Hickey almost embarrassed Knights goalkeeper Ben Peter, who had fluffed a clearance, but the Knights got away with it.

In the 37th minute, Hope’s cross from the right found Koroma, but he was slow in controlling the ball at the far post and Kruijver was able to smother the ball.

Four minutes before the interval, a corner from the right by Ladic found Hugh Ludford unmarked on the edge of the box. The centre-back swivelled and drove home a low right-footed shot that lacked pace, but found its way into the net through a crowded goal-mouth to give South the lead.

South had one more chance before the break, but Scott shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Five minutes after the break, the Knights had their best chance of the game when Pennicott gave away possession to Roberts, following Mynonge Kamba’s diagonal pass to the left, but Kruijver was up to it and tipped a fierce drive over the bar for a corner.

In the 54th minute, Kamba inadvertently headed the ball straight into the path of Downes, but he headed wide and let Knights off the hook.

In the 61st minute, Koroma’s back-pass was a little too soft and Peter lost possession to Hickey, who clipped the top of the crossbar with his shot from a difficult angle.

Five minutes later, Ladic made it 2-0 with a free-kick from just outside the left corner of the box, the ball going over the wall and beyond the diving Peter and into the far corner of the net.

In the 71st minute, it was 3-0 as Eaves’s long throw-in from the right was flicked on by Hickey and Downes headed home.

South’s fourth, in the 79th minute, was started by Hickey’s clever ball with the outside of his foot down the line on the right for Upton, whose chip over Peter came back into play off the far post. The on-rushing Downes made no mistake with his controlled and accurate shot.

Downes might have completed his hat-trick five minutes from the end when Hickey fed Nathan Wardle on the right. Peter got to the cross but could only punch it to Downes, who hit the post with his shot.

Knights went close in the 92nd minute when Josh Fielding shot just wide of the left-hand upright, but South had the last say when Ladic crossed from the right, only to see Downes put his attempt over the bar.

The win leaves South alone at the top of the ladder after two rounds and with no goals conceded and seven in the bag.


  • South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“It was a good win. The first 20 minutes were physical. They obviously came and did some man marking jobs and applied a lot of pressure on us.

“But, once we started to get the ball down and played around them a little bit, the spaces started to come and, obviously, in the second half, the chances started to come as well.

“We were solid at the back. I mean, maybe they’ve had two chances in 90 minutes, and we’ve had a few.

“Some good finishing by young Downes, great free-kick from Johnny Ladic, we’ve got to be happy with that.

“You know, four nil against the Knights, who’ll be there or thereabouts come the end of the year.”

  • Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“I think it was a good game of football spoiled by three officials.

“But, apart from that, yeah, we got what we deserved.

“The first half I thought we were in it, but the goal just before half-time sort of broke our back.

“We never recovered after that.

“But, we played some good football in the first half. We took it to them and I thought we were in with a sniff, but the silly goal we gave away at the wrong time and it cost us dearly.

“I still don’t think that we played that bad that we should have lost four nil, but that’s football, and we did.”


15 Goal Attempts 8
8 Shots on Target 2
6 Corners 3
12 Fouls Committed 12
1 Off-Sides 2
4 (D Brown 6, Upton 81, Bladel 81, Hickey 87) Yellow Cards 3 (Smith 58, Dzelelija 54, Grundy 68)
0 Red Cards 0
South Hobart:

Eaves 1 0
Hickey 2 1
Downes 7 4
Ludford 1 1
Scott 1 1
Ross 1 0
Wardle 1 0
Upton 1 1

Glenorchy Knights:

Fielding 3 0
Hope 1 0
Roberts 2 1
Sherman 1 1
Koroma 1 0

Photo: Hobart Olympic (v Tilford Zebras)

Forestry Tasmania Premier League, KGV Park, Saturday, 21 March 2009


Hobart Olympic 3 (Kanakaris 26, Bulis 46, Kunwar 87)
Tilford Zebras 4 (Walsh 46, 48, Brazendale 59, F Lapolla 61)

HT: 1-2 Att: 140 Ref: I Colhoun

Hobart Olympic (4-4-2): Nester - Mohamad, Richardson, P Tsakiris, Tsimiklis - Lebski (Kunwar 80), Mason (Guot 66), C Tsakiris, Kanakaris - Bulis, Larzabal (A Hedge 62) [Substitute not used: Plomaritis] [Coach: F Shaw]

Tilford Zebras (3-5-2): Kaden - Telega, Smith, Connolly - Self (Hall 90), Fagg, Pace, F Lapolla (Engels 80), Brazendale - Walsh, Thorpe (Welch 84) [Coach: N Lapolla]

This was one of the traditional derbies in Tasmanian football and playing it at 6pm on a perfect evening was certainly a good idea.

After the initial skirmishes in which no side looked superior, a terrible defensive error gave Olympic the lead in the 26th minute.

Chris Tsakiris crossed from the right and confusion between Henry Fagg and Troy Kaden left Kostas Kanakaris to stab the ball home.

It was not until stoppage time at the end of the first half that Zebras scored twice to lead 2-1 at the break.

In the 46th minute, Aaron Brazendale’s corner from the right was nodded down by Ryan Smith for Dwayne Walsh to head home.

And then, in the 48th minute, Smith and Brayden Pace both hit the woodwork following a corner and Walsh was third time lucky from close range, smashing the ball into the roof of the net.

Olympic were level within a minute of the re-start as Kaden could only palm a left-wing cross wide to Robert Lebski, who controlled the ball and slipped it inside for Michael Bulis to hammer home.

Brazendale’s speed in a diagonal run in the 59th minute enabled him to latch on to Josh Thorpe’s pass before the Olympic defenders could react and he swept the ball over the advancing Dmitri Nester and into an empty net to give Zebras a 3-2 lead.

Two minutes later it was 4-2 as Pace had his shot blocked and the ball fell to Fabian Lapolla, who skipped past a defender on the edge of the box to make himself a shooting angle and fired home past Nester.

Kaden was at his best in the 79th minute, saving brilliantly from Bulis’s header after a deep cross from the right by Youssef Mohamad.

Four minutes later, Kaden was at it again, denying Akuel Guot, whose fierce header from Kanakaris’s left-wing cross, seemed a certain goal.

A fracas then broke out in the Zebras’ box and Kanakaris and Tsimiklis were very fortunate not to be sent off. Brazendale went down, but Mr Colhoun saw nothing. He consulted both his assistants, but no action ensued.

Three minutes from the end, Bulis played a marvellous through-ball for the speedy Kunwar to race on to and he beat the advancing Kaden to stick the ball in the net and make it one goal the difference.

Zebras were still dangerous, however, and in the 4th minute of stoppage time, Walsh almost scored, but his shot flew just wide of the far post.


  • Hobart Olympic coach, Farrell Shaw, said:

“Technically, it wasn’t the best game for both teams.

“A lot of passion.

“Their late two goals in the first half are basically what killed the game off, but we came back at them and tried our best.

“Some good inclusions. Young Dipendra [Kunwar] came on and showed a bit of speed, which he’s got, and a nice finish. Good to see.

“There was a lot of passion, but maybe it was the wrong choice of ref. Things were going on for too long and then he tried to stop them and he couldn’t stop them.

“There was gamesmanship going on and both teams were doing it. I’m not saying against us. It was both teams.

“Perhaps a senior referee might have calmed things down a bit earlier on.”

  • Tilford Zebras coach, Nick Lapolla, said:

“It was a game we had to win.

“Full credit to the boys for their determination and the way they stuck it out.

“We spoke about a lot of things during the week about self belief and getting back to winning ways.

“Yeah, I’m proud of the boys.

“They did what they had to do and really got stuck in.”



10 Goal Attempts 13
5 Shots on Target 8
3 Corners 7
11 Fouls Committed 19
6 Off-Sides 2
2 (Mohamad 55, Hedge 90) Yellow Cards 1 (Pace 71)
0 Red Cards 0

Hobart Olympic:

Tsimiklis 1 0
Bulis 2 2
Kanakaris 3 2
C Tsakiris 1 0
Larzabal 1 0
Kunwar 1 1
Mason 1 0

Tilford Zebras:

Walsh 4 2
Brazendale 4 3
Self 1 0
Telega 1 1
Thorpe 2 1
Smith 1 1

Photo: Ladic scores from free-kick to make it 2-0

Reigning Forestry Tasmania Premier League champions South Hobart made it two wins from two games when they brushed aside Glenorchy Knights 4-0 at South Hobart today.

South, who have scored 7 goals and have yet to concede one, are now the clear ladder leaders after two rounds.

Knights had Anthony Grundy back at the heart of the defence, but they had no answer to South once the home side took the lead four minutes before the break.

A Jonathon Ladic corner from the right found Hugh Ludford unmarked on the edge of the box and he drove a low right-foot shot through a crowded goalmouth and into the net.

Ladic made it 2-0 in the 66th minute with a free-kick from just outside the left-hand corner of the penalty area.

Greg Downes then struck twice to complete the scoring.

In the 71st minute, he headed home after a long throw-in from the right by Ricky Eaves had been flicked on at the near post by Shae Hickey.

Eight minutes later, Hickey released Gary Upton down the right and, when his chip came back off the far post, Downes was on hand to ram the ball into the net.

In the Reserve League, goals by Brodie Green and Shane Kent gave Glenorchy Knights a 2-1win over South Hobart. Seth Otte netted for South.
Forestry Tasmania Premier League results for Sunday

South Hobart 4 (Ludford, Downes 2, Ladic) b Glenorchy Knights 0

Half-time: 1-0


South Hobart 1-2 Glenorchy Knights