Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 438 guests and no members online

University 0-1 Kingborough Lions United


Both teams were missing key players and suffered accordingly.

University were without Nigel Blundell and Alexis Bull, which was a huge loss.

Kingborough were missing Michael Palmer, Michael Wells and Brett Andrews, which necessitated a reshuffle at the back, where Charles White and Andrew Kerr occupied the central-defender roles.

Kingborough hammered University in the opening half and only brilliant goalkeeping by Hamish Peacock kept the score down to a single goal.

Peacock was agile and brave, and his reflexes and positioning were first class. He was a Tasmanian representative as a goalkeeper at under-age level before concentrating on javelin throwing, where he is ranked number one in Australia at youth level.

He saved superbly from Marcus Bremner and Greg Freeman, while captain Bryn Griffiths cleared one effort off the line at the left-hand post.

Damien Pearce also smashed a great right-footed volley against the University bar, while Peacock turned another shot wide and against a post.

University had few chances in the first half, although they should have done better with the couple that did come their way and which fell to Rory McCallum and Aaron Hindmarsh.

Bremner broke the deadlock in the 43rd minute when he finally beat Peacock following a corner. It was his first Premier League goal.

University came back strongly in the second half, but Kingborough stood firm and held out for the three points.

The loss leaves University in last place, four points behind second-last New Town Eagles.


· University coach, Scott Gallacher, said:

“I thought in the first half we were shocking.

“The second half was much better.

“We’re just not good enough.

“We had a few chances and if Rory [McCallum] had put that one in it may have been different.

“That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

“On the whole, I think they probably deserved the win more than we did, to be fair.”

· Kingborough Lions United coach, Geoff Freeman, said:

“I’m pleased with the win. It’s been a little while since we managed to play a bit more in the way we like to play.

“It was a pretty scrappy game, but we created a number of chances, particularly in the first half.

“Their keeper kept them in it.

“We had a couple of scares at the back and Uni battled well and the longer that it stayed at 0-0 and then only 1-0, I think they kept battling and they never gave up.

“But, I think we deserved the victory today.

“We were a bit disappointed that we didn’t win by a couple more, but we’ll take three points.

“Their keeper was outstanding today.”


University: Peacock - Andrews, Besley, Merry, Fletcher - Griffiths, Delara, Bones, King - McCallum (Manaka 65), Hindmarsh (Substitute not used: Hewson, Burgess, Madden)

Kingborough Lions United: Leamey - D Pearce, White, Kerr, Marchioli - Bevan, Iseli, McDonald, T Pearce - Greg Freeman (R Hinkley 68), Bremner (McConnon 75)

Goals: Bremner 43

Att: 60

Ref: P Galloway

Tilford Zebras stayed three points clear at the top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder by downing second-last New Town Eagles 3-1 at KGV Park on Friday night.

South Hobart stayed second after a comfortable 3-0 away win over fourth-placed Hobart Olympic at KGV Park tonight.

Third-placed Glenorchy Knights dropped off the pace and are six points adrift of Zebras when they could only draw 3-3 with sixth-placed Clarence United at Prince of Wales Bay this afternoon.

And, bottom-side University suffered a set-back in their fight against relegation when they succumbed 1-0 at home at Olinda Grove to fifth-ranked Kingborough Lions United today.

Jayden Welch put Zebras ahead against Eagles in the 25th minute and an Andrew Telega header following a corner made it 2-0 on the hour.

Dwayne Walsh made it 3-0 in the 70th minute after a horrendous error by Eagles keeper Michael Soszynski, while Adam McKeown netted a consolation goal for Eagles 15 minutes from the end.

South Hobart produced a fine display of football in the first half to lead Olympic 1-0 at the break through a volley by Gary Upton, following excellent work down the left by Shae Hickey and man-of-the-match Liam Scott.

Substitute Julius Ross headed South’s second after a corner in the 54th minute, while Kosta Kanakaris headed home Josh Heerey’s cross 10 minutes from the end to make it 3-0.

Luke Cripps hit a hat-trick for Clarence as they drew 3-3 with the Knights, who replied through Amadu Koroma, James Hope and Mathew Nowicki.

Kingborough outplayed University in the first half, but brilliant goalkeeping by Hamish Peacock kept the Students in the game.

Peacock denied Marcus Bremner and Greg Freeman with superb saves, while Bryn Griffiths blocked another Kingborough effort on the line.

Kingborough defender Damien Pearce also smacked a marvellous volley against the University crossbar, while University’s only real chance fell to Rory McCallum, who fired over the bar.

The breakthrough came in the 43rd minute when Bremner finally beat Peacock to give the visitors a 1-0 lead at the interval.

University rallied in the second half but Kingborough defended their lead resolutely and held out for the precious three points to put them just a point behind fourth-placed Olympic.

Metro stayed three points ahead of second-placed Taroona on the Division One ladder after both sides won today.

Metro downed third-placed Beachside 3-1 at home at North Chigwell through two goals by Jason Dawes and one by Aaron Marney. Colin Shepherd replied for Beachside.

Taroona beat Northern Suburbs DOSA 7-0 away at the Showgrounds through two goals apiece by Toby Dove, Hugo Luttmer and Jack Elliott and one by Marcus Atkinson.

Nelson Eastern Suburbs overcame Christian United 2-0 away at Sherburd Park through goals by Natsuki Futumura and Adam Mills.

In the Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League, Devonport City beat Somerset 3-0, Ulverstone drew 2-2 with Riverside Olympic, and Burnie United went down 3-2 at home to visitors Prospect Knights.

Bottom-side Launceston United earned their first point of the season with a meritorious 1-1 draw away with second-last Launceston City at Mitsubishi Park this evening.

Photos (Top to Bottom): University duo Iain Fletcher and Damien Bones; Marcus Bremner has scored for the Lions; University's Damien Bones gets a header away ahead of Kingborough's Marc Iseli; University's Richard Delara takes a tumble; Kingborough's Greg Freeman (right) challenged by University's Michael Andrews

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League

University 0-1 Kingborough Lions United
Glenorchy Knights 3-3 Clarence United
Hobart Olympic 0-3 South Hobart


University 0-2 Kingborough Lions United
Glenorchy Knights 1-4 Clarence United
Hobart Olympic 1-6 South Hobart

Division One

Metro 3-1 Beachside
Christian United 0-2 Nelson Eastern Suburbs
Northern Suburbs DOSA 0-7 Taroona

Division One Reserves

Christian United 0-4 Nelson Eastern Suburbs
Northern Suburbs DOSA 0-7 Taroona

Division One Under-19s

Christian United 0-4 Nelson Eastern Suburbs
Northern Suburbs DOSA 0-3 Taroona on forfeit

Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League

Somerset 0-3 Devonport
Ulverstone 2-2 Riverside Olympic
Burnie United 2-3 Prospect Knights
Launceston City 1-1 Launceston United