Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 108 guests and no members online

Liverpool and Everton drew 1-1 in their FA Cup fourth-round clash at Anfield on Sunday in a repeat of their league draw last week.

It was the 210th derby meeting between the red and blue halves of Merseyside.

Australia's Tim Cahill again showed his prowess in the air by setting up Everton's goal for Joleon Lescott after a corner in the 27th minute, but Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard equalised with a low, powerful left-foot shot in the 54th minute that beat Everton keeper Tim Howard at his near post.

Fernando Torres's skill in controlling the ball and then flicking it into the path of Gerrard with his heel set up the goal.

In Sunday's earlier fourth-round tie, Cardiff City drew 0-0 with Arsenal at home at Ninian Park.

Cardiff had numerous chances to win but were unable to score, while Arsenal gradually came back into the game during the second half and squandered some chances of their own.

The replays are in ten days' time.
Melbourne Victory are the minor premiers in the A-League, but it was a tight finish.

Adelaide United managed only a 1-0 away win over Central Coast Mariners at the Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford on Sunday, which left them in second place but equal on points and goal-difference with Victory.

Victory finished on top because they have scored 8 more goals than Adelaide.

A goal 9 minutes from the end by Brazilian import Christiano, who came on as a substitute, gave Adelaide their win, but they should have scored at least another goal, which would have given them the minor premiership.

In the first half, Lucas Pantelis smashed a superb free-kick against the Mariners' post, the ball then rebounding off goalkeeper Danny Vukovic's face and to safety.

The Mariners finished fourth on the ladder and will now meet third-placed Queensland Roar in the elimination semi-final.

In Sunday's other game, Sydney FC finally came good and beat the outgoing champions Newcastle Jets 4-0 at the Sydney Football Stadium to finish fifth on the ladder.

Two first-half goals by Alex Brosque put Sydney 2-0 up at the interval, while an own-goal by former Sydney player Mark Milligan and a strike by Mark Bridge completed the scoring.
The magic of the FA Cup was illustrated with the first of the 14 fourth-round ties, which pitted two famous neighbours against each other.

Derby County drew 1-1 with Nottingham Forest at County's Pride Park on Friday night.

The two clubs are now in The Championship, the second tier of English football.

Both goals came from low right-wing crosses, dummies and clinical finishes.

Rob Hulse put Derby ahead in the 35th minute and Robert Earnshaw equalised in the 64th.

Nigel Clough was the new manager in charge of Derby County, the club his father, Brian, took to the First Division title in 1972.

Brian then moved on to manage Nottingham Forest in 1975, where he won promotion to the First Division in his first season in charge and immediately won the First Division title. He also won two European Cups with Forest, beating Malmo in 1978-79 and Hamburg in 1979-80.

Incidentally, Nottingham Forest beat Derby County 3-1 in the FA Cup Final of 1898, played at Crystal Palace.

The replay of this fourth-round tie will be at Forest's City Ground on 4th February. Nigel Clough will take his team along Brian Clough Way, the road leading to the stadium.

At lunch time on Saturday, Division One side Hartlepool United lost 2-0 at home at Victoria Park to Premier League side West Ham United.

The goals came just before half-time, the first through Velon Behrami and the second from a controversial penalty by Mark Noble. The handling offence was clearly outside the box.

Other Results:

Doncaster 0-0 Aston Villa
Manchester United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur
Kettering Town 2-4 Fulham
Portsmouth 0-2 Swansea
West Bromwich Albion 2-2 Burnley
Chelsea 3-1 Ipswich Town
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Middlesbrough
Sheffield United 2-1 Charlton Athletic
Sunderland 0-0 Blackburn Rovers
Hull City 2-0 Milwall
Torquay United 0-1 Coventry City
Watford 4-3 Crystal Palace
Queensland Roar produced an excellent attacking display to beat Perth Glory 4-2 at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night to move into second place on the A-League ladder,

The pressure is now on Adelaide United, who dropped to third. But, they can still finish as the minor premiers if they beat Central Coast Mariners away at the Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford on Sunday by at least two goals.

Poor defending cost Queensland two goals, but their attacking flair led to all four goals which gave them victory.

The Roar's Danny Tiatto scored his first goal in the A-League with a magnificent left-footed strike from all of 25 metres after a short corner.

Mitch Nichols finished off a splendid move down the left with a goal after Tiatto's cross was headed against a post by Sergio Van Dijk.

Van Dijk also got on the score sheet, as did Josh McLoughan.

Nikita Rukavytsya, who is off to Holland on a professional contract, and Anthony Skorich netted for the Glory.