Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 314 guests and no members online

With 2010 fast approaching, I thought a touch of nostalgia for seasons past may be in order.

Here are some line-ups from games in 1982.

Some of these players still attend games today, while others have drifted away or moved interstate and overseas.

Memories of their contribution to the local game through their standard of play live on.

On 28 August 1982, Rapid and Olympia drew 2-2, and here are the line-ups:

Rapid: Steve Craven, John Fletcher, Larry Nunn, David Crosson, Chester Willcock, Harry Stewart, John Charlton, Mick Southworth, Mark Nikolai, Mark Oakes, Dale Blake, (Res: Steve Kannegiesser, Cliff Morgan)

Olympia: Robert Harrison, Peter Vafakos, John Paplos, Peter Linnell, Michael Edwards, Roger Munro, Marco Genaris, Perry Forster, Craig Nichols, Peter Sherman, Ronnie Bolton

Mick Southworth gave Rapid a 1-0 lead at the break, although it was a handball and off-side (things haven’t changed much, have they?), while Perry Forster equalised in the 54th minute after Peter Sherman flicked on a Craig Nichols pass.

Sherman put Olympia ahead in the 74th minute from a dubious penalty, while Southworth netted his second goal of the match five minutes from the end, heading home the loose ball after Robert Harrison could only palm a shot out.

On 5 September 1982, Rapid beat Juventus 3-0 before a crowd of 800.

The squads were:

Juventus: Craig Jones, Harrison, Peter Brine, Alastair Cochrane, Collins, Nick Lapolla, Eric Young, Darren Bacon, Leon Darko, Bruce Ward, Nick Di Martino, Robbie Kent, Frank Genovesi, Steve Maccalini

Rapid: Steve Craven, John Fletcher, John Charlton, David Crosson, Chester Willcock, Steve Kannegiesser, Harry Stewart, Mark Nikolai, Larry Nunn, Michael Southworth, David Smith, Mark Oakes, Dale Blake, Cliff Morgan

This was an eventful match.

Bruce Ward, who cracked a marvellous shot against the post, was sent off in the first half for serious foul play.

David Smith opened the scoring with a neat finish in the 63rd minute after David Crosson’s free-kick, while Dale Blake scored his first goal of the season in the 64th minute to make it 2-0.

John Charlton beat several defenders on his way to scoring Rapid’s third in the 82nd minute, while three minutes later, Smith hit the crossbar from 7 metres when faced with an open goal, having preferred power over accuracy.

Ah, memories!