Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 121 guests and no members online

Sydney FC took over at the top of the A-League ladder with a 1-0 away win over seventh-placed Wellington Phoenix this evening in a match played at Palmerston North.

It was the end of a 14-match unbeaten home run for Wellington.

A penalty on the quarter-hour converted by Steve Corica settled the game.

The penalty was awarded for Jon McKain’s foul on Alex Brosque.

Wellington had 15 shots on goal compared to Sydney’s eight, while Wellington also won the corner count 8-4.

The match was played in an 85km per hour gale which favoured Wellington in the first half, but they could not capitalise on it.

Their best chance came when their Brazilian, Daniel, crossed from the left, but Tim Brown’s tame left-foot strike was headed off the line by Sebastian Ryall.

Sydney played with ten men for the final ten minutes after Simon Colosimo received a straight red card for going into a tackle with his studs high.

Comparing players from past years with present ones is fraught with danger as the game has changed so much.

Training methods have changed, as has the pace of the game. Even the laws of the game have changed.

And, so has the equipment.

Imagine what a Puskas, Di Stefano or Law could have done with the modern boots and the current balls that are standard equipment today.

A star of the past would, however, probably be a star today as he would train as present-day players train and use modern equipment.

Technical qualities between players of the past and modern-day players are also difficult to compare because the modern player is more of an all-rounder, and he faces opponents who are all fast and technically gifted.

A gifted striker today is not going to come up against a lumbering fullback who finished work down the pits on the morning of the match.

But, back to reality, and to Tasmania, and forget about comparisons with players from an earlier era, or with the current crop.

Listed below, simply, is Ken Morton’s 28-man 1982 Tasmanian squad, which was an excellent selection and one worthy of representing the State.

David Crosson had played for Newcastle United, Eric Young for Manchester United (as, indeed, had Morton), while John Charlton, Steve Craven, Bruce Ward, Ian Parker and Alan Tait were all excellent English imports.

And, imagine the selection headache for Rapid, with Craven and Phil Kannegiesser the two goalkeepers.

Goalkeepers: Steve Craven (Rapid), Phil Kannegiesser (Rapid), Robert Harrison (Olympia), Steven Smith (Croatia)

Defenders: Alan Burton (Croatia), John Charlton (Rapid), Alistair Cochrane (Juventus), David Crosson (Rapid), Chris Hey (Brighton-ICL Caledonians), Peter Huigsloot (Croatia), Martin Harrison (Juventus), Larry Nunn (Rapid), Alistair Payne (Croatia), Alan Tait (Brighton-ICL Caledonians) [Captain]

Midfielders: Dale Blake (Rapid), Perry Forster (Olympia), Steve Kannegiesser (Rapid), Craig Nichols (Olympia), Sergio Pace (Juventus), Willy Peters (Croatia), Ian Parker (Brighton-ICL Caledonians), Michael Southworth (Rapid), Eric Young (Juventus)

Strikers: Billy Kirkpatrick (Croatia), Mark Oakes (Rapid), Peter Sherman (Olympia), Neil Thomas (Croatia), Bruce Ward (Juventus)

North Queensland Fury kept their first clean sheet at home when they beat Perth Glory 1-0 at Dairy Farmers’ Stadium in Townsville tonight.

A 32nd-minute goal by David Williams - his first in the A-League - decided the match.

A short corner by Robbie Fowler was driven in from just outside the box on the right by Paul Kohler and it took a deflection before the ball fell to Williams.

Williams’s first effort was blocked by goalkeeper Tando Velaphi, but as the ball came back to Williams, he headed it home.

The Fury had the better of the first half but the Glory came back strongly in the second and missed a couple of good chances.

The Fury moved up a place to eighth, while Glory stay fifth.

Fury coach, Ian Ferguson, described it as a ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ performance.

He said his team’s first-half performance was magnificent, but they just hung on in the second half.

Fowler went off after an hour and had ice strapped to his left knee as he sat out the remaining half an hour of the game.

Ferguson said it just a precautionary measure as his side now face three games in nine days.

How many people would you expect to show up at South Hobart or KGV Park if two northern sides were to meet in a State cup final?

Not many these days.

Whenever two northern sides these days meet in a State final, there is enormous pressure to play the match in the north of Tasmania.

And yet, on 20 September 1981, the Cadbury Jubilee Trophy Final between George Town and Launceston Croatia was played at South Hobart before a crowd of 1,200.

Oh to have such an attendance for any game these days, let alone a State final involving two teams from another region of the State.

George Town led 2-0 at half-time and went on to win 4-1.

Andy Scheibl and J Wharlich were the first-half scorers, while in the second half, Scheibl and Peter Davidson completed George Town’s tally and D Turner replied for Launceston Croatia near the end.

The squads were:

George Town: 1. M Jones, 2. M O’Sullivan, 3. G Farrell, 4. R Mason, 5. T Coogan, 6. P Davidson, 7. P Gimpl, 8. S Morely, 9. A Scheibl, 10. B Davidson, 11. J Lyons, 12. T Farrell, 13. J Wharlich, 14. E Dale

Launceston Croatia: 1. P Grainger, 2. B Colla, 3. C Ashdown, 4.. M Joss, 5..S Dejac, 6..D Foden, 7..L Ring, 8. R Brown, 9..D Ring, 10. C Bessell, 11. G Volmer, 12. D Turner, 13. D Hopkins, 14. A Dizjak

Basil Masters was the referee.