Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 279 guests and no members online

Sixth-placed Newcastle Jets moved into fourth spot on the A-League ladder with a 3-2 home win over third-ranked Gold Coast United in Newcastle this afternoon.

A brilliant goal by Jobe Wheelhouse put the Jets on course in the 6th minute.

Son Jin-Hyung crossed from the right and Wheelhouse scored from just outside the box with a perfectly-struck first-time volley that gave goalkeeper Jess Vanstrattan no chance as the ball flashed into his top left-hand corner of the net.

A penalty two minutes before the interval put the visitors level.

Ben Kantarovski earned a yellow card and conceded the spot-kick as he brought down Shane Smeltz, who despatched the penalty himself.

Newcastle regained the lead in the 70th minute when a marvellous outside of the right-foot lob from the right by Matt Thompson was turned onto the bar by Vanstrattan and Sean Rooney turned the ball into the net with a diving header.

Rooney set up Sasho Petrovski for Newcastle’s third goal in the 81st minute.

Gold Coast were far from finished, however, and Smeltz made it 3-2 in the 84th minute when he rammed home the loose ball after goalkeeper Neil Young could not hold a shot.

Jason Culina almost snatched an equaliser in the closing minutes but he was denied by an excellent save by Young, who atoned for his earlier error.

The attendance was 5,254.

Adelaide United remain at the foot of the A-League ladder despite beating second-last Brisbane Roar 1-0 at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

The goal came in the 78th minute when Matthew Leckie crossed from the right for Fabian Barbiero to head home at the far post.

It was Barbiero’s third goal of the season.

Adelaide stayed in the match because of a fine display by goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic, who made at least two outstanding saves.

Brisbane almost snatched a late equaliser but the header was cleared off the line.

The attendance of 5,801 was Brisbane’s lowest ever.

Melbourne Victory regained top spot on the A-League ladder tonight with a 3-0 away win over fourth-placed Central Coast Mariners at the Blue Tongue Stadium in Gosford.

Victory has a 3-point lead over second-placed Sydney FC.

After a goalless opening half, Victory took the lead in the 56th minute through Carlos Hernandez.

Matthew Kemp made it 2-0 in the 70th minute when he hit a right-wing cross from Archie Thompson into the roof of the net at the near post.

An own-goal in the 76th minute by Nigel Boogaard, from Kemp’s right-wing cross, completed the visitors’ tally.

The Mariners had plenty of good chances to make a game of it.

Melbourne keeper Mitch Langerak made two fine saves, from Matt Simon and Dean Heffernan, while Leigh Broxham cleared another effort off the line.

Predrag Bojic also hit a post with a shot from outside the box.

The attendance was 7,571.

South Hobart fielded a virtual youth side and beat Beachside 10-2 in a practice match at the Queenborough Cricket Ground this afternoon.

Noted athlete Sam Crosswell made a return to the game for Beachside, while his brother, Ben Crosswell, also played.

Given the small, unmarked pitch, not too much can be taken from the result, but it does augur well for South Hobart’s youngsters.

Greg Downes played one half for South and appears to have made a good recovery from his broken leg.

The first-half line-up for South Hobart was: Daniel Phillips - Nick Di Falco, Jim Pennicott, Cameron Williams, William Ross - Elliott Lovell, Greg Downes, Hugo Bladel, Andrew King - Andy Brennan, Seth Otte.

Andrew King has joined South Hobart from University, while the club is also expecting to sign a 17-year-old Brazilian by the end of the month and a Korean player with 150 K-League games under his belt.

The Beachside squad included Colin Shepherd, Ben and Sam Crosswell, Bernhard Klasen, Colin Wain, Nathan Robinson, Tony Tarros, Sebastian Milford, Peter Otto, Ben Davis and Alex Bigg.

Milford and Klasen netted for Beachside, while Brennan, Downes and Heo Wok Bum each scored twice for South Hobart, with Otte, Bladel, Lovell and Williams grabbing a goal apiece.

There will be a rematch next weekend.