Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 137 guests and no members online

Sydney FC drew level on points with leaders Melbourne Victory on the A-League ladder this evening with a 1-0 win over sixth-placed Central Coast Mariners at home at the Sydney Football Stadium before a crowd of 12,689.

Sydney FC are second on goal-difference.

It was the Mariners’ fourth loss in a row.

Possession was evenly split and the Mariners had eight corners to Sydney’s four.

The goal came in the 34th minute when a superb outside-of-the-right-foot pass by Terry McFlynn put Alex Brosque through on the left.

Brosque capped a fine run by hitting a great left-foot shot from the edge of the box inside Danny Vukovic’s near post for what proved to be the winner.

Sydney’s Steve Corica was playing his 100th A-League match.

Kenneth Hansen, the match manager for Football Federation Tasmania, has resigned and will leave the organisation in January.

Tom Clamp, the registration officer and ‘front-office’ person, has also left and will pursue his university studies.

The search for replacements for the two men is on.

* * * * *

The FFT Board is believed to have opted to place the TIS men’s team in a Premier League Reserves competition, with games to be played on Wednesday evenings.

This means that each club’s reserve side will play three mid-week matches over the season against the TIS.

The proposal to play the State Under-15s in Division One has yet to be ratified.

There is some opposition to the State Under-14s playing in the Under-19 competition and they may well end up in something like an under-17 league.

* * * * *

Former TIS women’s team goalkeeper Isolina Ottavi has won a sports scholarship to an American university.

She will leave Tasmania between Christmas and New Year.


Reg Tolputt died in Hobart yesterday aged 77.

Reg, a member of the Salvation Army, founded a club called Salvos in the 1970s.

They folded after a few years in the minor leagues.

Reg, David Martin and I hosted a regular Saturday morning radio show about soccer on 7HT in the early 1980s and I fondly remember those days.

Reg also served as team manager to one of Steve Darby's State teams.

Condolences to Reg's family.

The death has occurred in Hobart of Jack Rais.

‘Jackie’, as he was known, came to Tasmania in 1965 from the UK after service as a commando in the Royal Marines, including in the Korean War.

He was one of three British imports to sign for Hobart Rangers for that season, the other two being Tony Parker and Duncan Summers.

He joined Hobart Juventus the following season but returned to Rangers in 1967.

Rangers merged with Caledonians in 1968 and Jackie later coached the newly formed Hobart City.

Jackie, a half-back or left winger, played his first game for Rangers in April 1965.

A very young David Cole, who is now a referee in the north of the State, also made his debut in that side, as did the late Hugh Mackinnon, brother of former Metro president Jim Mackinnon.

Jim Mackinnon senior, father of Hugh and Jim, was the coach of Rangers.

The squad that day was: French, McDonald, Ruscher, Cole, McLoughlin, Rais, H Mackinnon, Wallace, Parker, O’Brien, Summers (Reserve: Bolton).

The diminutive Rais, whom I knew much later after his playing and coaching careers were over, was a gentleman who had the welfare of the game at heart.

I am sure that all readers will join with me in offering condolences to Jackie’s family.

Gold Coast United displaced Newcastle Jets from third place on the A-League ladder after beating Perth Glory 2-0 at Skilled Park this evening.

Shane Smeltz hit the opening goal after just three minutes, his fifteenth goal of the season.

Charlie Miller floated a cross over from the right and Smeltz, heavily marked by Andy Todd on the edge of the box, chested the ball down, turned and volleyed past Tando Velaphi in the Glory goal.

Smeltz returned the favour in the 56th minute when he released Miller on the right and the Scotsman celebrated his first home appearance by shooting past Velaphi from just inside the box to make it 2-0.

Miller has now scored once this season for his previous club, Brisbane Roar, and once for his new club, Gold Coast United.

Jason Culina almost scored an audacious goal for Gold Coast when he volleyed at goal from just inside his own half and just inside the centre-circle.

The ball floated over the back-pedalling Velaphi, who gave it up as a lost cause, but to his relief the ball smacked against the crossbar and came back into play.

Glory are now seventh on the ladder.

The attendance was 4,310.