Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 97 guests and no members online

South Hobart 2-0 Riverside Olympic


It took South Hobart a long time to wear down Riverside Olympic, but they were always the favourites to come out on top.

South almost took the lead after five minutes when Kostas Kanakaris spotted Riverside keeper Joseph Simmons off his line and attempted an audacious chip.

Simmons dived up and backwards and managed to tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

In the 24th minute, Julius Ross put Ricki Eaves in, but his shot was blocked on the line by Jonathon O’Neill.

On the half-hour, Kanakaris mesmerised the Riverside defence and then fed Eaves, but he fired over the bar.

Riverside’s only chance came seconds later when Scott Hanson cut the ball back, but no one was up to take advantage.

South Hobart then earned a corner and Hugh Ludford flicked the ball in to Eaves whose chip found Kanakaris, but the striker’s header flew over the bar.

The first half ended with Bart Beecroft controlling the ball and teeing up a strike, but the attempt flew wide.

Hanson was then lucky to escape punishment when he committed a bad foul on Liam Scott, but Mr Phillips did not even pull out a yellow card.

The breakthrough came in the 72nd minute when substitute Seth Otte crossed from the left and Eaves controlled the ball brilliantly, spun around and scored with a marvellous volley from the edge of the box.

Six minutes later, it was game over as Eaves fed Kanakaris and he raced through to fire past Simmons and make it 2-0.

Will Guy went close for Riverside in the 79th minute when he smashed a great shot against the South Hobart crossbar, while Mark Moncur did well to save seconds later as Riverside found a new lease of life.

With four minutes remaining, Ludford saved South Hobart when he glanced a header by Hanson wide.

The match ended with Shae Hickey shooting just over the Riverside bar when he should probably have worked the keeper.


· South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“It was a matter of time, but it gets frustrating. A bit like the Kingborough game.

“If we don’t put away the chances early, it’s backs to the wall a little bit.

“But, obviously, football-wise, we dominated the game.

“Our passing was good until we hit the final third and then we wanted that extra touch or take on the extra man.

“I thought, in the end, a fair result.”

· Riverside Olympic coach, Troy Scott, said:

“I thought we battled well for the full 90.

“Their first goal by Ricki [Eaves] was unstoppable, I’d say. A class strike.

“Sometimes we score them, sometimes they score them.

“Credit to them. They’re a good outfit.

“I thought the game was a bit scrappy. Conditions didn’t really suit either team. They’re both ball-playing teams.

“They’ll probably win it, I’d say.”


South Hobart: Moncur - Pennicott, Ludford, Heerey, Scott - D Brown (Di Falco 82) - Ross (Otte 60), Beecroft, Hickey, Eaves - Kanakaris (Substitutes not used: Kruijver, Clarke)

Booked: Scott 91

Goals: Eaves 72, Kanakaris 78

Riverside Olympic: Simmons - O’Neill (Jackson 77), Hanson, McCarragher (Gulbrandson 86), R Hughes - Olner, S Hughes (Penfold 82), Mitchell, Guy - Campbell, Taylor

Booked: Taylor 92

Att: 120

Ref: C Phillips